United Captain Off Loads F/A

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Skybus, that's already been posted.

Additionally, it sounds 3rd or 4th hand through the F/A's story line, which is not usually the most credible source.

Lastly, the FAA wouldn't suspend his license over it, and the company doesn't issue suspensions that quickly. They may certainly remove a pilot with pay, pending investigation, but that's not a suspension.

Again, it's very openly-malicious to the Captain, so you'll forgive me if I wait for the final outcome. Personally, I have a real problem with the degradation of Captain's authority in this country. I spent a month flying in Italy as a contract Captain late last year, and enjoyed it immensely. One of the differences that really jumped out at me was the respect you are given by default as the PIC; it's a real breath of fresh air. You give that respect back, act appropriately, and it's an altogether better experience for both crew and passengers. Disrespect me, and you'll never step on my airplane again and, if I have anything to do with it, you won't be on anyone ELSE'S airplane, either.

It's a shame that facet of aviation has been lost in this country and, instead, we have over-assertive flight attendants who make careers out of something that was never designed to be a career and they carry an attitude with it. Unpleasant for everyone...

YMMV

Sorry I some how missed previous post. While I do not disagree with anything you said, you and I have both flown with the guy described in this post. What distrubed me about the original part of this thread was the trial and execution of the F/A. I cannot imagine a scenario unless passanger/a/c IMMEDIATE danger is present which would probably involve a weapon or a total mental case that cannot be controlled that would warrent a diversion. The whole story smelled of ass hole pilot. PIC or not . IF there were circumstances so severe to justify this action we WOULD have read about it in the papers by now. The fact that we have not to me absolutely indicates it was not that serious and the idiot was out of control. It is doubtful that the truth will ever be made public unless some of the UAL insiders come clean with us.

What distrubed me about the original part of this thread was the trial and execution of the F/A.

What disturbs me is individuals whose posts seem to indicate they've never spent a 12 hour international leg with 11 "whack jobs" that actually believe they are some sort of a "Captain" of everything from 1 inch aft of the cockpit door. Coming from the Corporate/Charter world, it was a huge shock to me seeing the attitude of the FA group compared to the Customer service reps I've met at FBO's and other areas of Part 91/135. I will note that yes, there are a small minority of 121 Captain's who have twins screaming at rampers and service reps because their GIV was aced out of close in parking because of 2 Learjets ;)

It isn't pretty, and thankfully, just like PITA Captains, they are a small minority. The big picture is probably the stress level at UAL that has brought crap like this out.

If the incident happened as described by the FA, yes, the Captain probably went to "wacky land", and may have done alot of damage for everybody in the industry. I've also seen FA "stories" that get embellished light years beyond what actually happened within 24 hours of the actual event.

IF it truly went off as posted above (c'mon - isn't unsubstantiated use of the word "terrorist" in an airport these days like yelling out the old "fire" prank in a crowded theater?), then if I were the FO on that flight, I think I would have been getting off in MIA as well.

There was a fire, a terrible flood, I had a flat tire, an old friend came in from town, I ran out of gas, IT WASN'T MY FAULT!!!!

Don't know if that story is true as anything can be made up on the internet, but the thought occurred to me that regardless of what happened, maybe this guy is trying to force a medical retirement for himself?

and as 707 said if this guy did use say "terrorist" when he landed he should and probably will lose his license.
You guys throwing out the definition of Captains Authority as somehow justifiying what this guy did are missing a much bigger picture. I would say that FAR is meant to cover your arse for taking necessary action. It's not justification for doing any thing you please without having to explain why.

Don't know if that story is true as anything can be made up on the internet, but the thought occurred to me that regardless of what happened, maybe this guy is trying to force a medical retirement for himself?

I was curious as to his age.

Could actually be the early signs of dementia. He was clearly acting irrationally if the story posted is accruate.

Off another web site. Exactly what I was pretty sure occured.

OK, I got the whole story, not first hand, but pretty reliable:

45 minutes into the 11-hr flight from GRU to ORD, Captain wonderful (his name is XXXXXXXX, but he insisted to be called "Sir") called the purser who is in the middle of FC service, he wants his"crew dec" (mind you, it's
not gen dec which the purser had already given it to him on the ground. I
think crew dec is our custom form, . . . . . . . . . .. . Everyone was interviewedindividually and all told the same story (incl pilots). Capt refused to speak without ALPA. He is currently on suspension, his license suspended (I was told, can't verify that).

If the story was true which sounded like a true story, I hope United fires
XXXXXXX ass, and the purser sues what's left of his ass."

The only thing that is certain is that the above sure sounds like a "story told by a flight attendant that was copied from an internet forum" and is being passed along as fact by someone who should know better.

Many other sources are telling the story the same way. The Capt lost it. Actually sounds like he lost it a long time ago. This time he stepped over the line and got caught.

Latest resources

Back