United Cancels newhire classes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Mountain Freak,

Andy is talking Air Force (possibly DOD) policy that reservist can not be on continuous orders beyond 1,040 days (not sure of the exact number). United has nothing to do with it. If you can get a waiver from your command to serve 4 years straight, more power to you! Now if you are active duty then these numbers probably don't mean a thing.

It's five years. Not sure where his number comes from. 365 x 5 is ... aw f it. I drink.

http://www.military.com/benefits/legal-matters/userra/overview

The plan is United is going to park 1/3 of its planes with a few thousand furloughs. Then they will merge with USair West, Parker will take over and AWA pilots will be telling you on how lucky you are that you got saved. New call sign for United will be CACTUS. Plus finally the AWA pilots will be able to bid wide bodies that they wanted at USAIR since there will be no fences. All furloughed United guys will be placed below all the 2005 AWA, which will be fair since United furloughed pilots did not bring anything to this new merger twist.

Good luck United
DOH does matter

Marty

Nice. Icehole. BTW...You're welcome.

Andy:
What is this about the rolling calender and reserve orders? I was under the impression we had up to 5 yrs under Federal law or 6 years under United policy.
Is this something new that United was supposed to tell us, but the message never got through? (Wouldn't be the first time).
Thanks in advance for any info you can give!

Just to clarify. You're talking two different things.

1) USERRA law. Employers are required to allow employees to serve up to 5 years in the military and continue to hold their job for them. At United, it is 6 years (5yrs 9mos plus an additional 3 mos off of orders prior to returning). I was offered the 3 mos when I come off of orders, but declined.

2) The number of days the reserves will allow you to serve without counting against active duty rolls. This used to be 179 man days in any fiscal year. To keep the active duty numbers down and have reserves serve full time, that changed almost 3 years ago. It went to 1095 days (3 years) in a rolling 1460 day (4 years) calendar.
If you exceed 1095 days, you count against the active rolls. The military does NOT want this to happen, and may rework this rule. Rumor is that if you take a 'time out' in September, the clock starts all over again next fiscal year. We'll see.
If there are no changes, there will be a lot of reservists coming off of man day orders and back to work for the airlines.

I hope that clears this up a bit.

Sounds like anyone in United's recent classes will be on the bottom, on reserve, for a LONG time.

But at least they will get to be a captain on a 747 or 777 someday! (if they are in their 20's)

I got hired at United at 39 in 2000. My goal in life was to be a FO reserve bunkie on the 777 or 747. Not everyone is shooting for Captain. And not everyone is looking to fly widebodies; I'm sure most Southwest and Airtran pilots are perfectly happy flying the equipment on their property. Some guys are perfectly happy with a career at a regional carrier.
This is not a one size fits all world. Every pilot has different goals.

WHAT A WOMAN! :laugh:

I hadn't thought about it in terms of gender; I more thought of it in terms of a particular type of animal. In my case, I think that I am aligned closest with the sloth. Here are a few excerpts on sloths:

Even so, leaves provide little energy, and sloths deal with this by a range of economy measures: they have very low metabolic rates (less than half of that expected for a creature of their size), and maintain low body temperatures when active (30 to 34 degrees Celsius or 86 to 93 degrees Fahrenheit), and still lower temperatures when resting.

Sloths move only when necessary and even then very slowly: they have about half as much muscle tissue as other animals of similar weight. They can move at a marginally higher speed if they are in immediate danger from a predator (4.5 m / 15 feet per minute), but they burn large amounts of energy doing so. Their specialized hands and feet have long, curved claws to allow them to hang upside-down from branches without effort.

Sloths are among the most somnolent animals, sleeping from 15 to 18 hours each day. They are particularly partial to nesting in the crowns of palm trees where they can camouflage as coconuts. They come to the ground to urinate and defecate only about once a week.

:D

You guys are talking about Mccain...a politician who gave away 100000 american jobs to the french a couple of weeks ago.

Republicans only talk smaller government in elections...no proof of that yet. Other than Huckabee, I dont think theres a respectable Rep out there.

I got hired at United at 39 in 2000. My goal in life was to be a FO reserve bunkie on the 777 or 747. Not everyone is shooting for Captain....

...This is not a one size fits all world. Every pilot has different goals.

An admirable goal. Much less work than actually commanding something. Done that, been there. Except for the 1% of the time you fly with a complete idiot, who cares who's in charge? Not me.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back