• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

United Cancels newhire classes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
An admirable goal. Much less work than actually commanding something. Done that, been there. Except for the 1% of the time you fly with a complete idiot, who cares who's in charge? Not me.

Absolutely. Andy's got his priorities right. Most of us are about Q of life or $$ or whatever you want to chase in life. The seat you choose gets you what you're chasing. period. If you can get both, good on you.

There are those pathetic few that can't stand not being able to tell people they're a "captain". :laugh:

This is not a one size fits all world. Every pilot has different goals.

Very true. I interned at United during the summer of 2000 and now have no desire to pursue that route. Job security, QOL, pay, and benefits (in that order) are what's most important to me.

Last edited:
About security, those in last classes will be on reserve, and if in a base that is uncommutable, stuck there with no one coming in below.
At least when the furlough happens, they can put United, A320 type rating on the resume....
They do type you in initial training, don't they?

Absolutely. Andy's got his priorities right. Most of us are about Q of life or $$ or whatever you want to chase in life. The seat you choose gets you what you're chasing. period. If you can get both, good on you.

There are those pathetic few that can't stand not being able to tell people they're a "captain". :laugh:

Thank goodness some of us have to make decisions..we all can't be FOs:rolleyes:

Oh..... you're still here? How cute of you to think I was talking(posting) to you (or about you).

See... those of us who actually spent some time making some real decisions as PIC don't need to puff ourselves up with the ones you seem to think are so important.

After what I did for the first 20 years of my flying career, I can be more than happy to let someone else decide what leg to take, how much gas to add or who's going to sleep first. Every once in a while you might get to make a "biggie" but guess what, if it's wrong, someone like me will probably bail you out.

I'll upgrade when it suits me but if it never does, you and I both know the only thing I'm really giving up is some money and probably a bunch of days in MEM on reserve.

Cheers. :laugh:

After being a check airman with guys trying to kill me daily working 5 legs a day I am enjoying a break.

Yup, thank goodness there are people like you otherwise these FO slots would go a lot more senior.

I'll upgrade when it suits me but if it never does, you and I both know the only thing I'm really giving up is some money and probably a bunch of days in MEM on reserve.

Cheers. :laugh:

So what you're really saying is due to Age 65 you can't upgrade.

:D

Latest resources

Back