• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

United Cancels newhire classes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
....and Hillary or Obama won't want want to pay for more? They have a huge list of entitlement programs that we can't afford....

How much does the entitlement to invade other countries cost.....??

3 Billion....?? More than any domestic program...

Do you know how much popcorn you could buy with that Butterfingers?

The plan is United is going to park 1/3 of its planes with a few thousand furloughs. Then they will merge with USair West, Parker will take over and AWA pilots will be telling you on how lucky you are that you got saved. New call sign for United will be CACTUS. Plus finally the AWA pilots will be able to bid wide bodies that they wanted at USAIR since there will be no fences. All furloughed United guys will be placed below all the 2005 AWA, which will be fair since United furloughed pilots did not bring anything to this new merger twist.

Good luck United
DOH does matter

Marty

Okay -- first of all I am so sorry I am joining the hijack, but "if Gore had been elected"? Huh? Popsicle sticks have more personality than that jagnut (and I'm a democrat). He was NEVER gonna get elected. The Republicans could have run a cardboard box and Gore would have lost, even if by a few thousand hanging chads.

Back to thread -- Delta cancels them too apparently.

Gore was never going to get elected? Huh? NewsFlash: He won the popular vote. More Americans voted for him than the current moron in the white house.

Gore was never going to get elected? Huh? NewsFlash: He won the popular vote. More Americans voted for him than the current moron in the white house.

You're right (but considering how many dead people and convicts voted for Al Gore, maybe the spread is just a statistical wash -- ha). Excuse me, I should have said -- he was never going to be SOUNDLY elected. The fact that he couldn't beat "the current moron" speaks volumes. Maybe the fact that 50% voted for each moron speaks volumes as well.

Popular vote don't elect presidents. Four times in our history.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/media/media_watch/jan-june01/recount_4-3.html

Last edited:
A very large percentage of airline pilots do vote Republican. They like to be macho and vote for Bush instead of Gore or then Kerry. That's the whole problem today. If Gore had of been elected the airline business would be much better today and I doubt these classes would be cancelled. It would probably still be age-60 for another year or more too.

Most will again be macho (stupid) and vote Republican.

Thanks for calling me stupid, I doubt you would do that to my face. Your post is pure conjecture and of no value. Is spring break over with yet?

My official return to UAL's payroll is 1 April; I will be on military orders but burning leave. I thought that the return date was appropriate. :p

So did your class get cancelled too Andy?...or are they just offering a class to returning pilots.

Last edited:
So did your class get cancelled too Andy?...or are they just offering a class to returning pilots.

No, nor would I expect them to cancel my training.

Interestingly, UAL's been calling a bunch of mil leavers and asking them when they are returning to UAL.
They are also checking on valid military orders. I know this last sentence, because I was IAD flight ops yesterday afternoon to update my home address. The woman at the desk went to her sheet of mil leavers and said something along those lines and started looking for my name. She didn't find my name on the list because I had already faxed them a copy of my orders back in Feb.

I think that a big reason for doing this is because of the number of UAL pilots on leave of absence and mil leave. Here are the numbers from January:
Total pilots: 7409
Active pilots: 6332
Mil leave: 644
Leave of absence: 187

They already know when the leave of absence pilots are returning because there is a set period of time they're allowed to be on LOA; IIRC it's 24 months max. So that number will decrease dramatically by the end of 2008.
The mil leave number is more of a conundrum. As a reservist, you're only allowed to be on orders for 1095 out of a 1460 day rolling calendar. That was a policy implemented almost three years ago, and many reservists on mil leave have been on continuous man day orders. That 1095 should be reached for most of us at the end of September. So there's the potential for United's active pilots to increase significantly come this fall.
When UAL had 20+ retirements a month, the large number of mil leave/leave of absence wasn't a problem. However, with very little attrition, the company now has to plan for them to return. My bet, based on the numbers I've tracked over the last few months (from UAL reports) is that 10-20% of those on mil lv/LOA will not return to UAL.

Latest resources

Back