United and CAL SLI for furloughed pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

skywdriver

Being a CAL furloughed guy, I am really curious to get the opinions of some furloughed United guys on what they think a fair integration would be for the furloughed pilots from both sides. This of course assumes a deal is made through the rumored talks that are taking place right now.

It is almost certain that all CAL furloughed pilots will be back on property by the time the operations actually combine (it took Delta almost 2 years from announcing the merger to get the combined operating certificate and I don't even know if they are flying with combined crews yet). In fact, with the airplanes coming this year and next combined with more retirements, CAL will probably have to hire an addition 150-200 guys. I know this is all based on the economy continuing its recovery, but it appears to be on track for a slow but steady recovery.

So, I would make the argument that putting the furloughs (as of the date a deal is announced) on the master list by date of hire would be absolutely ridiculous. There is a good chance I will be back on property as the SLI is being discussed, so to say that career expectations mean nothing to a furlough who has already returned as an active pilot is totally dumb. In my opinion, the most fair thing to do would be to have a clause in the integration that says anyone who goes back as an active pilot before the certificates are combined will be placed at the bottom of the list of active pilots by date of hire, then anyone still on furlough will be placed below all active pilots by date of hire.

Any opinions?

Any opinions?

Category/Status ratio.

The number of pilots on furlough from one list, on the date of constructive notice, would most likely be integrated with the number ofr furloughed pilots on the other.

There may be some tweaking of the lists, but it would most likely be predominantly a ratioed list based on the job brought to the merger. Wide bodied captains with wide bodied captains, narrow bodied captains with narrow bodied captains all the way down to furloughed pilots with furloughed pilots.

DOH= 2000 for me! In all honesty, I and many other furloughed UAL guys will get the royal shaft. I have already discussed the issue with ALPA reps and we are $%^&ed. Time on property plus career expectations are part of the equation. Currently I have 10+ seniority number, but only 3 yrs on property. Being furloughed I have 0 career expectation at this time. If Cal has less than 200 on furlough, you guys are golden.

But don't think about being recalled. You will be on indefinite furlough, believe me the 70 seaters are gonna come with this merger. Your chance of recall will be gone.

But don't think about being recalled. You will be on indefinite furlough, believe me the 70 seaters are gonna come with this merger. Your chance of recall will be gone.

we have to negotiate a combined contract. our contract doesn't allow more than 50 seat jets as you probably know, so what a great opportunity for UAL guys to get back some of the flying that you lost and keep it at 50, or put 70+ seat payrates in the new contract and have them flown under mainline. i know the company could buy out some of the top of the CAL list and convince them to give up scope limits on seats, but many of the newer hires have seen the results of those mistakes and are willing to fight for our current scope. i would hope that many of your fellow United pilots are pissed off enough about giving scope in bankruptcy that they would be willing to put up a fight against it as well.

A CAL/UAL merger would provide us with opportunity to strengthen scope and obtain an industry leading contract; as long as we all work together.

Last edited:
A CAL/UAL merger would provide us with opportunity to strengthen scope and obtain an industry leading contract; as long as we all work together.

if every single pilot on both lists had that mentality, we could merge, get everyone back on property, and maybe even start hiring. there is no reason we couldn't fly 70 seat jets under a combined United/CAL.

Stop with the integration banter....nobody knows what will be worked out yet...Speculation pisses everyone off. I would like to see buyouts on both sides and have everyone recalled on both sides. I'm thinking this time the deal will be done like it or not.

Stop with the integration banter....nobody knows what will be worked out yet...Speculation pisses everyone off. I would like to see buyouts on both sides and have everyone recalled on both sides. I'm thinking this time the deal will be done like it or not.

Well said If this thing gets done let our respective merger committees handle the SLI and Scream at our Negotiating Committee on what we want in our new combined contract. Let the process work.

Latest resources

Back