Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
SAM is the Maintenance Operation

Yes, Like PilotGolfer said...

United's Mx operation was for the longest time, based in San Fransico. It still largely is, except now, the actual guys we talk to via ACARS and radio are in Chicago after a recent operations consolidation.

Anyway, we still call our Maintenance guys "SAM" or "SAM.C" Stands for San Fransisco Aircraft Maintence. Control.

Nifty, I know.

As for all this integration and merger talk...My general feeling on the concensus is, just like most, we would prefer to stay independant as well. Buy some 100 seat small jets and fly them. Get the A350s and 787s and with some additional exercised options and live happily ever after.

Alas, that does not seem to be the vision of our awesome and caring leader. Our pilot group in general wants NOTHING to do with US Airways. We do not see much added benefits regarding their routes and hubs, and having a work force who's culture that is even more toxic than United's makes us ill just thinking about it. Although, our toxicity stems from Management/Pilot relations. We don't really fight amongst ourselves as in the East vs West war. The original US Airways pilots really rubbed the UAL pilots the wrong way during the initial merger attempt. Go figure, I know.

Continental is interesting. They would add some better depth to United's South flying and and East coast flying. They seem better managed, and the two ALPA unions have apparently been developing a battle plan for merging for quite some time. Like our MEC Chairmwoman has said, we all feel like CAL is a better fit, and the pilot groups are more prepared to work with eachother further.

For all those CAL guys worried about the evil UAL pilots wanting DOH or other bullsh*t integration requests, don't worry. No one is saying that. Relax already. Relative seniority with some fences for an inbalance of widebody aircraft is fair. As for the furlough integration, I am clueless on how to resolve that.

BigRed1

I propose that instead of posting another remark regarding a merger you go grab a shot of booze or down a beer instead. I got a head start on ya.

As a UAL furloughed guy my only hope is that all the furloughed pilots of CAL/UAL are brought back on property. I believe that the two groups are more willing to work together to develop a fair integration than that of the civil war that is taking place between the east vs west groups of US Airways. I think it is in the best interest of all our pilots to work together and try to make the best out of whats left of our careers. I also think this is an excellent time to strengthen scope and recapture flying for the mainline pilots and return scope to 50 seat jets and reduce the amount of regional flying on our property. My concern as a furloughed guy is being off porperty if a merger does take place before I get a chance to be recalled.

As a UAL furloughed guy my only hope is that all the furloughed pilots of CAL/UAL are brought back on property. I believe that the two groups are more willing to work together to develop a fair integration than that of the civil war that is taking place between the east vs west groups of US Airways. I think it is in the best interest of all our pilots to work together and try to make the best out of whats left of our careers. I also think this is an excellent time to strengthen scope and recapture flying for the mainline pilots and return scope to 50 seat jets and reduce the amount of regional flying on our property. My concern as a furloughed guy is being off porperty if a merger does take place before I get a chance to be recalled.

The senior guys at UAL and CAL are going to look out for themselves... since the furloughed and MIL LOA guys are out of sight...... out of mind they are not going to be considered.....

Even a pay to go away option is tough for the senior guys.....

However, the senior guys at CAL and UAL sold off scope... they should be responsible for buying it back with their pay rates and working conditions... (vacation, sick time, etc...). They have already proven during the BK era that they are willing sell off the A plan (UAL) and other senior perks and gravey.....

What ever happens - GET RID OF TILTON!!!!!!!

The senior guys at UAL and CAL are going to look out for themselves... since the furloughed and MIL LOA guys are out of sight...... out of mind they are not going to be considered.....

Even a pay to go away option is tough for the senior guys.....

However, the senior guys at CAL and UAL sold off scope... they should be responsible for buying it back with their pay rates and working conditions... (vacation, sick time, etc...). They have already proven during the BK era that they are willing sell off the A plan (UAL) and other senior perks and gravey.....

You have absolutley know idea what you are talking about. Tell me exactly what we "sold off the A plan" for. What did we buy with that?? And why in the world would a senior guy want to do that. reality check. We were the first carrier to go down that rd concerning BK and the subsequent attack of the A plan. ALPA which was useless in it's national level advisers for us learned from the experience as did the other MEC's that went through it behind us. We showed them exactly what not to do.

You have absolutley know idea what you are talking about. Tell me exactly what we "sold off the A plan" for. What did we buy with that?? And why in the world would a senior guy want to do that. reality check. We were the first carrier to go down that rd concerning BK and the subsequent attack of the A plan. ALPA which was useless in it's national level advisers for us learned from the experience as did the other MEC's that went through it behind us. We showed them exactly what not to do.

The senior guys leveraged their seniority to protect it by scoping out the regional flying... selling out the junior guys on their list... the senior pilots are responsible... they need to get it back and pay for it with their seniority...... time to man up for once....

The first carrier to go down the road of BK and A plan attack/loss? RUF kidding me? Did UA go bankrupt in 2002 or 1982? You are correct that the A fund wasn't really sold for anything, although I think the MEC/NC did go pretty soft in the end after all they gave up to protect the A fund, and the mounting evidence that it may not have been as underfunded as claimed. I see you didn't mention scope, presumably because you know Rez is correct on that. I'll add in the no-furlough off probation and min-pilot numbers. Dubo rolled on them first in Nov 2001, and Whiteford was all to eager to follow suit in ERP I and beyond to save the A fund that anyone with half a brain could see was part of the end game once he started down the concession road. The rest of the stuff that followed(EMB-170 sideletter, etc) was fruit of an apple that was rotten from the start because of the mentality from the top. You are right that UsAirways and United were the poster children for what not do in BK, but I can't really put the majority of the blame on national. Both carriers had history to look at with carriers like Braniff, EAL, PAA, and TWA. That said, while UsAirways has generally traveled the tougher road, United's MEC's have largely rolled over easier. Both gave up scope, but US ALPA struck a much better deal for their pilots than UA did, by an amazingly laughable margin. When it came to the A fund, the Airways guys did much more to fight the termination imo. Sorry for the small rehash of history, but to act like what happened to the airline (not the country) was unprecedented is silly to me.

What exactly does any of this has to do with a SLI for furloughed pilots? Probably little. This seems like something that will go to an arbitrator who quite frankly probably spend little time on that portion of the list compared to the attention it will get here. If we're talking about 'feeling good' about a particular sides argument, I suppose the CO furloughed guys will feel better about the fight their MEC puts up the UA ones will.

Not true about MIL LOA. We keep seniority and longevity while on LOA, so we would be placed appropriately as an active pilot would. Nice try though...

Latest resources

Back