United 93 Movie

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

J3CubCapt

The wife and I went to see the opening of United 93. Very powerful movie. Maybe the US pubilc will remember what happend.

God Bless everyone affected Sept. 11 2001

J3

How was it?

I know it got great reviews. I want to see it.

I was planning on seeing it today(Sat.) with my wife. After reading more about it she thought it would be too painful to watch. So I'm seeing it tomorrow with a furloughed Mesaba buddy. I guess 10% of the proceeds opening weekend go to the United 93 Memorial Fund. It's a good cause.

Just only 10% of the proceeds to a memorial? Why not all the profits? Why dose the movie industry get to profit off of 9-11? The movie only cost them 20 million to make. Why not give the proceeds to the families of 9-11? Pay for their medical bills, scholarship funds for the childern who lost a parent. Wow a whole 10% to a memorial! I think I'll wait and watch this at home when its only a dollar rental.

Formula 1 said:
Just only 10% of the proceeds to a memorial? Why not all the profits? Why dose the movie industry get to profit off of 9-11? The movie only cost them 20 million to make. Why not give the proceeds to the families of 9-11? Pay for their medical bills, scholarship funds for the childern who lost a parent. Wow a whole 10% to a memorial! I think I'll wait and watch this at home when its only a dollar rental.

Why wait when you can download now via BT it for free :)

Formula,

While I understand your concern for someone profiting from a horrific tragedy, I must disagree. How many film makers made money from Pearl Harbor, D-day, Vietnam, the Holocaust etc....?? The average 9-11 victim's family already receives over $1 million....some get much more!!! Have you ever compared that to the proceeds given to a fallen soldier's family??? It's a bloomin joke. I'm not suggesting that it was not the altruistic thing to do by giving monetarily to those victims, but there are many other innocent victims whose families never benefited from a special trust fund....much less were entitled to some type of royalty from the making of a movie.

Bottom line: The public seems to rapidly be forgetting what happend on that terrible day. If this movie helps America's short memories, as well as gives a portion of the proceeds to a worthy cause, then I believe it's a good thing.

Good day.

Pecan said:
Formula,

While I understand your concern for someone profiting from a horrific tragedy, I must disagree. How many film makers made money from Pearl Harbor, D-day, Vietnam, the Holocaust etc....?? The average 9-11 victim's family already receives over $1 million....some get much more!!! Have you ever compared that to the proceeds given to a fallen soldier's family??? It's a bloomin joke. I'm not suggesting that it was not the altruistic thing to do by giving monetarily to those victims, but there are many other innocent victims whose families never benefited from a special trust fund....much less were entitled to some type of royalty from the making of a movie.

Bottom line: The public seems to rapidly be forgetting what happend on that terrible day. If this movie helps America's short memories, as well as gives a portion of the proceeds to a worthy cause, then I believe it's a good thing.

Good day.

Pecan:

I couldn't agree more with everything that you said. Very good response.

Pecan said:
Formula,

Good day.

Pecan,

The movie industry during WW2 was asked by the War Department to make glorified war movies with famous actors to motivate the troops and the home front in the war cause. These movies were based on real battles but were not very factual. But these movies had a specific purpose for the war cause.

During the 70's the war movies had an anti-war theme and were based on fictious battles and basically few facts about war.

Even today's modern war movies of WW2 are based upon real battles, but still contain fictious charaters and situations.

United 93 is different, CVR and FDR tapes were used, real cell phone converstions between passengers and familiy are used, ATC transmissions were used, and interviews of the familiy members were used for this movie.

If you are willing to pay $8.50 for a ticket, $7.50 for a coke and bag of popcorn so you can feel good about donating .85 cents to a memorial to watch a low budget movie about 36 real people that are about to die in 20 minutes then thats ok!

So how was the movie?

Pecan said:
Formula,

Good day.

My sentiments exactly Pecan! Great post.

BBB

Latest resources

Back