United 93 Movie

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
United 93

My wife and I saw the movie last night. It's a hard one to watch - particularly the last 15 minutes - but very worthwhile, an excellent movie.

From a technical standpoint, they really did a superb job. They bought an actual 757-200 and retrofitted it with an authentic circa-2001 UA interior, even going to the trouble of finding the Sept 01 inflight magazine, inflight movies, etc. The cockpit is also from an actual 757, albeit an older one than N591UA. The procedures, callouts, warning systems were all *fairly* accurate.

What really struck me was how "real" the airline culture & crew interaction felt. Later I found out that the actors that play the pilots and two of the flight attendants are current or former pilots and flight attendants. JJ Johnson, who plays Captain Dahl, is himself a United captain.

Watching the day unfold from the perspective of ATC and the ATCSCC was fascinating. Ben Sliney, who was at the time the brand new national manager of the ATCSCC, plays himself and gives one of the best performances of the movie. A few of the other air traffic controllers played themselves.

I was really hoping they didn't "Hollywoodize" this movie by adding a bunch of life stories, superfluous dialogue, action sequences, etc. They didn't. The passengers aren't really held up as stereotypical heroes, but as scared people who realized they were going to die if they didn't do something. The signature phrase "Let's Roll" (Todd Beamer) is actually in the movie but it's almost a mutter, you'd miss it if you weren't listening for it.. "Comeon guys, let's roll, hurry up..."

The entire thing felt very, very real, like you were just another passenger on the flight or fly on the wall at the ARTCC. I can't imagine that the movie could've been done much better... a real tribute to those who lost their lives on UA93. But hard to watch. I sat half-stunned for a few minutes after the end, trying to keep from bawling.

Formula 1 said:
Just only 10% of the proceeds to a memorial? Why not all the profits? Why dose the movie industry get to profit off of 9-11? The movie only cost them 20 million to make. Why not give the proceeds to the families of 9-11? Pay for their medical bills, scholarship funds for the childern who lost a parent. Wow a whole 10% to a memorial! I think I'll wait and watch this at home when its only a dollar rental.

Do you mind if I ask how much of your own money you have donated? Normally I'd say it's none of my business but since you are judging others for how much they are giving I figure its ok to ask you.

Last edited:
Melon said:
This movie is part fiction, IMO. I am not a conspiricy theorist, but I believe UAL 93 was shot down by the US government.

Dude, if an American Fighter Pilot shot down UAL 93, I'd have heard about it. We gossip more than wives. If the US Gov't shot down this plane, a fighter pilot didn't pull the trigger.

Magnum is right on the money. These knuckleheads who point to wild conspiracies seldom think about the layers of people who would have to keep silent. Not just one pilot, how about the guy's wingman? Or the controller who authorized the shot (after presidential approval) and all those around him, or the ordnance guys who loaded the weapons. I could go on but the bottom line is that the military if run by Americans, and Americans have big fat mouths!! Especially when it comes to exposing a lie.

Pecan, I agree. DashTrash400, excellent review. I saw the movie last night. Even though we knew what was going to happen, it was riviting. I too am glad the movie was not "Hollywoodized". The blunders of communication and confusion throughout were all too real.

CatfishVT9 said:
Magnum is right on the money. These knuckleheads who point to wild conspiracies seldom think about the layers of people who would have to keep silent. Not just one pilot, how about the guy's wingman? Or the controller who authorized the shot (after presidential approval) and all those around him, or the ordnance guys who loaded the weapons. I could go on but the bottom line is that the military is run by Americans, and Americans have big fat mouths!! Especially when it comes to exposing a lie.

Ditto from another former fighter pilot who was also assigned to an East Coast Carrier Battle Group Staff at the time of 9-11.

Additionally, You could prove it was not a fighter just by doing some simple pilot math. How fast would a jet (F-16 or F-15) have to travel to go from AFB A (I believe alerts were launched from Langley? An AF guy could give us the correct base) to make an intercept over Pensylvania? How much gas would he use getting there and how little would have left if he did make an intercept?

I'm sick of all the stupid conspiracy theory folks.

Formula 1 said:
Pecan,

The movie industry during WW2 was asked by the War Department to make glorified war movies with famous actors to motivate the troops and the home front in the war cause. These movies were based on real battles but were not very factual. But these movies had a specific purpose for the war cause.

During the 70's the war movies had an anti-war theme and were based on fictious battles and basically few facts about war.

Even today's modern war movies of WW2 are based upon real battles, but still contain fictious charaters and situations.

United 93 is different, CVR and FDR tapes were used, real cell phone converstions between passengers and familiy are used, ATC transmissions were used, and interviews of the familiy members were used for this movie.

If you are willing to pay $8.50 for a ticket, $7.50 for a coke and bag of popcorn so you can feel good about donating .85 cents to a memorial to watch a low budget movie about 36 real people that are about to die in 20 minutes then thats ok!

The fact of the matter is every family member of those who perished on that flight signed off on the movie. I just saw a Larry King interview with the actors and some of the family members. They all seem quite excited about the upcoming release. If the movie is ok with the family, it's ok with me.

Oh and by the way, if Silent Hill can make 20 million the first weekend, I think United 93 can do it. That would be a 2 million donation, nothing to snub your nose at.

We must never forget

MAGNUM!! said:
Dude, if an American Fighter Pilot shot down UAL 93, I'd have heard about it. We gossip more than wives. If the US Gov't shot down this plane, a fighter pilot didn't pull the trigger.

Plus you never hear on the ATC tapes any mention of a military aircraft. If a fighter were allowed to intercept, there would have been more than a few controllers who would have had contact with it on its way to the "target." It would be alot harder to quiet the civilian ARTCC staff about the whole event than the military folks. That being said, I have only heard condensed versions of the ATC tapes and the UAL 93 CVR. I do smell a cover up although I'm not sure of what. I do NOT think it was a shoot down however, I have a hard time believing that the mission focused hijackers who were supposedly determined to hit a specific target in DC gave up and scuttled UAL 93 and barely even discussed it (based on what I read of the CVR). I do think UAL 93's pax were revolting and attempting a takeover which makes them heroes in my book. I just think we are not seeing all the evidence and it is a mystery to me why the govmn't kept the CVR tape secret for so long. I plan to see the movie but even the makers of the film admit it is an educated guess on what went on that day.

Speaking of conspiracy theories, what about "Inconvenient Truths"?

Great movie. Very intense.

I am raw a full day later.

I wish they woulda' tried taking it over a little sooner and been able to kill those terrorist b*stards....

:(

Latest resources

Back