• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Union busting, bigblue style.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well, I'm just calling it as I see it. I am not trying to piss anyone off.

For me, this new policy really changes the way I view this company. They really F'd it this time.

I do suspect however that this is just another corporate preparation for the union.

We told you, but you didn't believe it, perhaps now you see?

What union?

Oh totally agree. To me this is worse than anything so far. To drop in a policy within 24hrs of it going live is astonishing. This was the clincher. And of course this just another item we will have to negotiate back.

You must be new around here, this is just par for the course.

You must be new around here, this is just par for the course.

7 years. I'm usually unemotional about the stuff they do. To me this is a big deal. I've understood that company will always try to screw us to save and make money, I get that. This is different.

7 years. I'm usually unemotional about the stuff they do. To me this is a big deal. I've understood that company will always try to screw us to save and make money, I get that. This is different.

My apologies, but think back over the 7 years you have been here, what have you gained, what have you lost? I think if you take a objective view, the minus column is bigger than the plus. Some things may not have hurt you as an individual, but it probably hurt the group as a whole.

Health care affected many last year, PP trigger and 13:30's, FSM rewrite, CSPP discount, int'l over ride, night over ride, etc., etc.!

Last edited:
Well, after this, they can simply kiss this pilot group goodbye.

If this doesn't procure a union vote, then I don't know what will.

Well, after this, they can simply kiss this pilot group goodbye.

If this doesn't procure a union vote, then I don't know what will.

Sadly, that's what many said this time last year with the health plan changes. Sure, it bumped a few more off the fence but nothing has really changed.

How come they are called union busters? But when employees unionize and break a company they are never called "Company Busters"?

BTW That was almost enough for me to want to send in a card.

what company was busted by the unions ?

UAL, NWA, etc. GM, Chrysler, USSteel, should I go on?
Sure they did.

How many GEOs do you own Mister Nissan. I have a Chevy Tahoe and a Honda Mini Van. We tried to buy an GM, Chevy or Chrysler van but they were and are crap. Is the design and R and D team at these corporation Union too.

UAL and NWA suffered due to 9/11. Executives did very well though.

Sure they did.

How many GEOs do you own Mister Nissan. I have a Chevy Tahoe and a Honda Mini Van. We tried to buy an GM, Chevy or Chrysler van but they were and are crap. Is the design and R and D team at these corporation Union too.

UAL and NWA suffered due to 9/11. Executives did very well though.

From the WSJ

In 1994 the UAW pushed GM into a deal it knew it could most likely not fulfill. It gave unlimited medical and COLA to retirees. GM knew a lengthy strike might drive them into BK. They had exhausted the equity markets, and borrowing was the only solution. Much like living off your credit cards. So they bet on maybe things would work, but they knew in the end they were in trouble. The power of a potential union strike drove them to make a bad management decision.

As they lost market share to foreign rivals, Detroit's auto makers and the UAW lost the power to set standards on labor costs. Yet during the prosperous 1990s, they seemed reluctant to accept the fact that their business model -- with its expensive defined-benefit health and pension programs -- was driving the domestic industry toward ruin. The UAW and its biggest employer have effectively conceded that their golden age of dominance is over.

GM executives consistently acknowledged that it couldn't be competitive in North America without a fundamental change in its labor-cost structure.

The UAW got a harsh lesson in the consequences of bankruptcy proceedings when former GM parts unit Delphi Corp. sought Chapter 11 protection in 2005, and pushed through substantial job and wage cuts under a deal subsidized by GM. In 2009 GM followed the same path.

GM's obligation to provide health care for 412,356 union members, retirees and surviving spouses lies at the heart of yesterday's agreement. Even after a partial overhaul of retiree health-care benefits in 2005, GM still faced a $51 billion obligation to UAW members. Health-care obligations added more than $1,900 to the cost of every GM vehicle sold in the U.S. in 2006, a heavy burden given that many GM vehicles sold for less than competing Toyota vehicles. There was no money to spend on better vehicles, the union had absorbed all of the profits.

BTW Many UAW members became millionaires wit the stock options offered in the 80?s, well the ones who took advantage of them.

Latest resources

Back