Uncle Jerry's Visit to The ASA Crew Rm

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What about the 200's?

So he'll transfer 12 700's to SkyWest because we're "too expensive" - but he'll leave over a hundred 200's at SkyWest in spite of their higher wages on that plane and their profit sharing? That makes no sense and I smell a fresh steamer.

With ASA raising our insurance premiums - I'm going to get my money out of this company somehow. Don't taxi over 15 knots per the POH. Can't tell how fast you're going on the ground? Better safe than sorry - slow down during taxi and comply with the POH. Slow down for turbulence - .75 or 280 - it's in the POH for a reason. Slow down in the pattern - POH says 180 kts. Transfer of controls from the F/O to the Cpt on the roll-out could be a dangerous moment - wait till your safe and slow prior to transferring controls. If it inconveniences the next guy on final and makes him go-around - too bad - gotta be safe. If the rampers aren't ready to marshall you in - don't call ramp tower - the rampers can see you and the ramp tower can see you - don't congest the frequency with unnecessary calls - just sit there and let the system (not) work. Don't go to the gate to get the release. I used to go up there to look for jumpseaters in case our gate agents ignored them because it's an inconvenience for the agents. I just won't take the release anymore.

Fly the contract. Fly the POH.

He also reiterated that the CR7s that are going to SKW was done to lower ASAs overall cost structure. The CR9 went to SKW due to the inability to achieve a cost competative contract in a timely manner. Any new flying that is up for RFP that includes the CR7/9 would be bid for SKW and not ASA b/c at present we are not competative in those markets.

Lets not all get hard-ons and start swinging at Skywest pilots. There is alot more involved in competitive costs than an hourly rate on an airplane that is a couple dollars off. Seems like everyone is programmed to think pilots are the ONLY part of the equation.

Any new flying that is up for RFP that includes the CR7/9 would be bid for SKW and not ASA b/c at present we are not competative in those markets.

Which really ought to tell the Skywest pilots that JA has no intention of renegotiating their 70/90 payrates for some time. How's that 18 month agreement working out for you? Oh yeah, your w2's are bigger, so you don't care that you are being screwed by management.

Once our contract is done w/ split rates, I don't see the SKW guys just sitting around like nothing happend. If JA doesn't want ALPA on property he will give SKW pilots split rates.

lolikola - way to go, that will show jerry. as far as i am concerned i want to spend as little time at the airport as possible. had an fo tell me a few weeks ago i was crazy for helping the fa's cross belts to get out faster. i figure every minute extra i spend at work is one less than i spend home.

Which really ought to tell the Skywest pilots that JA has no intention of renegotiating their 70/90 payrates for some time. How's that 18 month agreement working out for you? Oh yeah, your w2's are bigger, so you don't care that you are being screwed by management.

How are you "being screwed" by management if your W2s are bigger than any other ALPA represented regional? Are the pilots who are leaving Mesaba, ASA, and CMR for Skywest, going so that "management can screw them"?

The fact of the matter is, we as pilots, and as a union, have failed miserably in holding up pay at this level. We are still fighting this battle as though de-regulation and fee-for-departure portfolios never happened. The rules have changed, and so must our strategy.

How are you "being screwed" by management if your W2s are bigger than any other ALPA represented regional? Are the pilots who are leaving Mesaba, ASA, and CMR for Skywest, going so that "management can screw them"?

The fact of the matter is, we as pilots, and as a union, have failed miserably in holding up pay at this level. We are still fighting this battle as though de-regulation and fee-for-departure portfolios never happened. The rules have changed, and so must our strategy.

Spot on. Good post Joe.

With ASA raising our insurance premiums - I'm going to get my money out of this company somehow. Don't taxi over 15 knots per the POH. Can't tell how fast you're going on the ground? Better safe than sorry - slow down during taxi and comply with the POH. Slow down for turbulence - .75 or 280 - it's in the POH for a reason. Slow down in the pattern - POH says 180 kts. Transfer of controls from the F/O to the Cpt on the roll-out could be a dangerous moment - wait till your safe and slow prior to transferring controls. If it inconveniences the next guy on final and makes him go-around - too bad - gotta be safe. If the rampers aren't ready to marshall you in - don't call ramp tower - the rampers can see you and the ramp tower can see you - don't congest the frequency with unnecessary calls - just sit there and let the system (not) work. Don't go to the gate to get the release. I used to go up there to look for jumpseaters in case our gate agents ignored them because it's an inconvenience for the agents. I just won't take the release anymore.

Fly the contract. Fly the POH.
you should have been doing that stuff all along. Its not there for you to obey if you want to "screw" ASA. Its there to help you keep your license. As far as "incomveniencing" the next guy on final, you're just being childish and "screwing" the guy you're supposed to be standing beside and whos supposed to be standing beside you.

Latest resources

Back