• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Ugly and Unexpected Attrition at Horizon

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Good post. These are things that are forgotten in this forum.

It just makes it even more painful, however, when you see good people working for management that takes them for granted in the name of achieving a competitive advantage.

If I'm not valued by my management, why should I value my management?
anyone can manage, few can lead

Big picture

This "Pilot Shortage" is a total farce. There are more than enough pilots out there to fly all the airplanes and then some. What there is is a shortage of pilots who will fly for a poverty wage, even after 2-3 years it's barely livable, not to mention that you'd be making little headway on all those loans that you now have from your initial training.
$100K/yr is a very doable income as a pilot after 10 years in this business. Entry level wages at USA Jet 35K are above the national average, and more than many college graduates make who do not have technical degrees. Average individual income from the Dept of Labour in 2005 was $46,000, almost all pilot who have been in the bisiness for 5 years will be above average. No college degree required so $100K in debt is also not requried. There is shortage of pilots.

Last edited:
$100K/yr is a very doable income as a pilot after 10 years in this business. Entry level wages at USA Jet 35K are above the national average, and more than many college graduates make who do not have technical degrees. Average individual income from the Dept of Labour in 2005 was $46,000, almost all pilot who have been in the bisiness for 5 years will be above average. No college degree required so $100K in debt is also not requried. There is shortage of pilots.

Yip,

"Almost all pilots" who have been in this business for over 5 years spend half their time away from their families flying millions if not BILLIONS of dollars of liability around. That should pay more than $46k per year. And I don't believe there is a pilot shortage. There might possibly be a shortage of qualified applicants that are willing to fly 18 days a month for under 20k a year though. There is a difference. And to fly a falcon around the world at 3am that you have to piss on the door seal to get it to pressurize has got to pay more than 35k - but like you said, you have a drawer full of applicants.

Gup

Time away from home?

Yip,

"Almost all pilots" who have been in this business for over 5 years spend half their time away from their families flying millions if not BILLIONS of dollars of liability around. That should pay more than $46k per year. And I don't believe there is a pilot shortage. There might possibly be a shortage of qualified applicants that are willing to fly 18 days a month for under 20k a year though. There is a difference. And to fly a falcon around the world at 3am that you have to piss on the door seal to get it to pressurize has got to pay more than 35k - but like you said, you have a drawer full of applicants.

Gup
If you want to spend time with your family, become a school teacher. If you fly, you spend time away from at the bid of the enity that owns the airplane. It comes with the job. Get used to it, it makes your time at home more special.

$100K/yr is a very doable income as a pilot after 10 years in this business.

That may very well be true. I contend that I shouldn't have to spend the first 3-4 years of my time with a Company collecting food stamps in order in reach a livable wage 5-6 years after starting. I understand a low first year in order to recoop some training costs but after that, you need a livable wage. And no, I don't mean Mac 'n Cheese and Natural Light, I mean wife, house, kids - the things in my humble opinion that make life worth living. I can deal with overnights and working holidays but not while I can't provide for my family.

Last edited:
If you want to spend time with your family, become a school teacher. If you fly, you spend time away from at the bid of the enity that owns the airplane. It comes with the job. Get used to it, it makes your time at home more special.

You're cracking me up. Working for you sounds like Stockholm Syndrom. I should kiss your feet because you stopped beating me?

I've got a better plan. Treat your employees like valued assets of your business plan so that when they are at home they talk about how great their job is and they are excited to come back to work. You might give that a try.

Gup

Stockholm Syndrom. I should kiss your feet because you stopped beating me?
Gup

Instant Classic

Up next, pilotyip will either try to make a funny or mention that you don't need a college degree to fly, your choice!

Just another management tool.

What the F?

You're cracking me up. Working for you sounds like Stockholm Syndrom. I should kiss your feet because you stopped beating me?

I've got a better plan. Treat your employees like valued assets of your business plan so that when they are at home they talk about how great their job is and they are excited to come back to work. You might give that a try.

Gup
I take it you are a SWA pilot?, or a would like to be SWA pilot by your picture. SWA pilots spend time away from, most commuters are gone at least 1/2 of the month. No matter who you work for, family seperation comes with the job. You can be treated like a king, but you are still not going to be home. What does treatment of employees have to do with family seperation? BTW No college degree required to work at SWA, just saw another non-degreed guy get hired there.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back