• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UAX/SKW Jumpseating vs. United Greed

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Our JS chairman is confirming that this does not affect our pilots. It is being discussed among UAX JS chairs but does not currently affect pilots.

I have a bad feeling about this though. Seems like United is testing the waters to see what will happen.

I do too have a bad feeling about this. It's a sad situation when airlines have to get revenue from employees instead of the public.

The way I read it, pilots may only travel in the Flight Deck as authorized by CASS. Pilots non-revving/commuting in a cabin seat on a UAX flight operated by SkyWest must use their non-rev bennies or possess a paper NRSA ticket such as an ID 90 or ZED fare.

To me, that sounds like no jumpseating...just non-revving...is available for commuters.

so youre saying a ****************************** from airtran can jumpseat for free, and you gotta pay? I hope I didn't read it that way.

no the way it was worded prevented ANYONE from jumpseating in the cabin when someone was in the OMC except if they A) Are a UAX pilot with paid non-rev abilities or B) A non UAX pilot with a ID 90 or ZED fare.

It will be re-worded to exclude pilots from this memo and only effect FA's.... nothing like further crapping on SKYW FA's! TFAYD

I seem to hear this a lot from people that don't have to pay fees to ride on their own equipment.

Trouble is, to ride on all SkyWests planes a Skywest employee must pay tribute to BOTH United AND Delta. If that weren't F'd up enough, Air Tran wants a fee too but if you opt for Air Tran then you can't do Delta. NOW, they're coming up with new ways to F with the jumpseat.

This is screwed up on so many levels.

I predict fuel burns will rise substantially in the very near future. Before anyone cires about how 'unprofessional' this would be, let me ask what a 'professional' should do - cut off his own n^ts?

A professional would work on career progression rather than continue to support the downward slide of their profession. United has over 1400 pilots furloughed so the regional guys can fly Boeing or Airbus routes with an RJ making a fraction of the pay they should be making. The company I now work for requires you to pay for each flight you take on their aircraft and the cost is anywhere from $50 to $1400 depending on the flight. Maybe it is time you demand a better paycheck and overall QOL so the Opt in cost is not an issue and you wouldn't have to commute as much then pay your dues and move onto a major. At least you have a job and it is back home with your friends and family, all of the regional pilots have bigger issues to deal with and that is making a regional pilots contract a more respectable contract and realize the regionals are killing a lot of the positions most of you want, ie flying a boeing or airbus someday. I spent nearly 9 years at the regionals and I am disgusted by todays trend with the regionals and it seem a lot of you just don't care, because you have your nice fancy RJ to fly! Obviously UA has the authority to control who rides in the cabin, so I guess there is some hope that all the majors haven't lost control of their company to the contract regionals!

A professional would work on career progression rather than continue to support the downward slide of their profession. United has over 1400 pilots furloughed so the regional guys can fly Boeing or Airbus routes with an RJ making a fraction of the pay they should be making. The company I now work for requires you to pay for each flight you take on their aircraft and the cost is anywhere from $50 to $1400 depending on the flight. Maybe it is time you demand a better paycheck and overall QOL so the Opt in cost is not an issue and you wouldn't have to commute as much then pay your dues and move onto a major. At least you have a job and it is back home with your friends and family, all of the regional pilots have bigger issues to deal with and that is making a regional pilots contract a more respectable contract and realize the regionals are killing a lot of the positions most of you want, ie flying a boeing or airbus someday. I spent nearly 9 years at the regionals and I am disgusted by todays trend with the regionals and it seem a lot of you just don't care, because you have your nice fancy RJ to fly! Obviously UA has the authority to control who rides in the cabin, so I guess there is some hope that all the majors haven't lost control of their company to the contract regionals!

I am so tired of hearing this lame argument. SCOPE is negotiated by mainline pilots and they are the ones who allowed this to happen. Man up and put the responsibility where it belongs!

Maybe we should go on the majors forum and post a line on every thread with the mantra "thanks to the mainline idiots for giving up scope" much like the MESA SUCKS mantra we see on here.

Last edited:
It's always funny to hear guys with a decade of regional experience talk about what a POS the "new guys" made of the industry. They make a mess and expect us to clean it up.

so youre saying a ****************************** from airtran can jumpseat for free, and you gotta pay? I hope I didn't read it that way.

AirTran has not charged for the second jumpseat since 2007 or so. Even then, in most cases we had Captain's pay the fee to get the jumpseater on. If you have questions have your JSC contact the ATN jumpseat committee. They will be more than happy to answer your questions.

It's always funny to hear guys with a decade of regional experience talk about what a POS the "new guys" made of the industry. They make a mess and expect us to clean it up.

Yeah, got a laugh out of the guy's post as well.

Just remember it sucks to show up for a ride and have the Captain from the off-line carrier all pissed off! This knife cuts deep both ways. It is in the best interest of everyone to make life as easy as possible for on-line and off-line commuters alike.

First United said everyone had to pay their fees last December. Then, after no one paid their fees because it was in the middle of the Christmas/Channukah/Kwanza shopping season they extended it another 30 days into January.

Now, since you can only pay your fees once a year, they come out with this immediate directive? So, crewmembers that did not opt in back in January are now completely screwed for the rest of 2010? This is effed up on so many levels.

United already found out last year what it was like to start a jumpseat war. With SkyWest doing nearly 50% of all United flying, this could get ugly real quick.

Yup, somehow I didn't get in the system (I wanted to opt in, trying to non-rev out of ORD on Delta only is hard), and now I am screwed for the rest of the year.
Why don't they want our money whenever just like Delta does? United is so f-ed up.

Latest resources

Back