Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

WalterSobchak

Am I wrong?
It would appear that, effective immediately, United is forcing SkyWest to cancel their cabin jumpseat agreements for UAX flights. Apparently, so many SKW pilots and F/A's have been jumpseating everywhere (even when not commuting) instead of paying the annual "opt in" fees for non-revving, UA decided it was time to get what's theirs and put a stop to it.

On UAX coded flights, there are no more FA agreements at all and one pilot in the flight deck only. Everyone else will have to use their UA "benefits" and offline crew will have to use ID90/ZED tickets. One could hope that the overall reciprocal agreements will stay in place for the DL and FL side...but, something tells me that, without access to 3/4ths of SkyWest's flights, few carriers are going to maintain a reciprocal jumpseat agreement. Maybe this will be just a shot across the bow to force flight crew to "opt-in"...

Just another brutal hit on QOL for flight crew (and dispatchers, too...my pseudo-commute to DFW is screwed without a jumpseat on an OAL carrier). Stay classy, United.

Last edited:
Not following. Offline cannot Jumpseat?!?
The way I read it, pilots may only travel in the Flight Deck as authorized by CASS. Pilots non-revving/commuting in a cabin seat on a UAX flight operated by SkyWest must use their non-rev bennies or possess a paper NRSA ticket such as an ID 90 or ZED fare.

To me, that sounds like no jumpseating...just non-revving...is available for commuters.

Make sure UA does not charge you for deadheads...they did for a while at CHQ then as classy as CHQ is deducted it from our pay checks, not in a small increment but 100% of your check until you were squared away (they did eventually fix the payment plan).

How can United dictate your jumpseat policy as far as OAL jumpseaters are concerned?
They're not dictating the actual jumpseat policy, per se. As far as I can tell, OAL's will still be allowed ...but will not be granted a seat in the cabin without an ID90 or ZED ticket (apologies for not being more clear amidst the hyperbole). Seems to me that would limit jumpseaters to one.

They own the cabin seats...so, I guess they're trying to make a little revenue off of "non-revenue" travel in those seats. Ugh.

Just the way this went down is maddening...a friend in CS tells me the memo was sent Friday evening at 6pm and effective immediately...without bothering to really tell anyone.

Last edited:
Sure would be nice to see airline management focussing on making money off of their customers, rather than their employees.

So is mainline United multiple OAL jumpseaters?

Last edited:
Just the way this went down is maddening...a friend in CS tells me the memo was sent Friday evening at 6pm and effective immediately...without bothering to really tell anyone.

Ahh, the old, "if you have bad news, dump it right before a holiday" routine. Works every time!

It would appear that, effective immediately, United is forcing SkyWest to cancel their cabin jumpseat agreements for UAX flights. Apparently, so many SKW pilots and F/A's have been jumpseating everywhere (even when not commuting) instead of paying the annual "opt in" fees for non-revving, UA decided it was time to get what's theirs and put a stop to it.

On UAX coded flights, there are no more FA agreements at all and one pilot in the flight deck only. Everyone else will have to use their UA "benefits" and offline crew will have to use ID90/ZED tickets. One could hope that the overall reciprocal agreements will stay in place for the DL and FL side...but, something tells me that, without access to 3/4ths of SkyWest's flights, few carriers are going to maintain a reciprocal jumpseat agreement. Maybe this will be just a shot across the bow to force flight crew to "opt-in"...

Just another brutal hit on QOL for flight crew (and dispatchers, too...my pseudo-commute to DFW is screwed without a jumpseat on an OAL carrier). Stay classy, United.

How is this different than what Delta does? I don't pay "opt-in" fees to any mainline carrier. Last week I had a scheduled 3 hour sit in SLC before a deadhead to DEN. I tried to jumpseat out on a Delta Skywest flight. Since I don't pay PPR fees I could only have the jumpseat even though there were +2 seats in the cabin available. A FAA inspector ended up taking the jumpseat and I left SLC an hour later on Lynx.

So again, how is this any different from what Delta does?

eP.

Latest resources

Back