Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UAX Letter to UAL Pilots over jumpseat dispute.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Why don't you ask them?

Actually the intent was to see if the UAX guys knew why...

It is apparent that there is plenty of misunderstanding on both sides.....

It seems that this letter has exacerbated the situation not improved it....

Cooler heads?

Actually the intent was to see if the UAX guys knew why...

It is apparent that there is plenty of misunderstanding on both sides.....

It seems that this letter has exacerbated the situation not improved it....

Cooler heads?

You're a United pilot Rez....Explain the reason for us....We're all ears....

You're a United pilot Rez....Explain the reason for us....We're all ears....

I don't think Rez has ever said where he works. Maybe you're making ass-umptions?

As impossible as, say, USAPA?
An independent major union and an independent regional union are two very different things financially. The regionals do not collect enough dues money to function normally and are actually subsidized by the majors. An airline the size of Skywest and ASA would take in roughly a quarter million dollars a year. One year of contract negotiations alone costs upwards of a half million...add in the rest of the costs of running a union on top of that.

An independent major union and an independent regional union are two very different things financially. The regionals do not collect enough dues money to function normally and are actually subsidized by the majors. An airline the size of Skywest and ASA would take in roughly a quarter million dollars a year. One year of contract negotiations alone costs upwards of a half million...add in the rest of the costs of running a union on top of that.

What if multiple regional airlines were to join? ALPA is going to lose a lot of members over the next year and will probably have to raise dues to cover the losses.....

How did you come up with your numbers....I came up with roughly 3.2 million dollars that ASA/Skyw would come up with in dues....Obviously we are both estimating, but they are far off....

Well, what other impetus or motivation is there for UAL to change it's computer boarding priority at this point? This has been going on for 2 years. They've apparently tried every other avenue and it didn't work. They tried to work together to fix them like you suggest, but that was unsuccessful.

When everything else fails, and the priority is still not right, what else can you do? I like this as little as everyone else...but it is super-frustrating trying to commute on UAX due primarily to this issue.
If this is the case, then I agree something else needs to be done. The issue obviously needs to be fixed. My only point is that the letter is most likely not going to be as successful because it is given as an ultimatum. If the intention of this letter was to simply educate the UAL pilots about the dispute in order to bring resolution, it probably would have worked well had it not included the "or else"...just my opinion.

I hope cooler heads at the top prevail and are able to resolve this problem quickly, because the only people to suffer are going to be the commuters.

Easy with your Rosa Parks civil disobedience talk.... Are you willing to NOT "ride the bus" as the black community did. What does that mean? Refusing to fly? You gonna do a sick out to get the jumpseat?

Hancock, Adams, Jefferson, Franklin, et all, knew they commiting treason to the British Crown, and if unsuccessful they'd hang.

So... what are you really saying?

What I'm really saying is:

Rosa Parks stood up to the establishment or status quo and took a seat where she was not allowed to sit, instead of cowering and sitting where she was expected to sit. Left with no options, the UAX pilots are challenging the establishment or status quo (UALPA and UAL) with the letter and subsequent action if not resolved, instead of saying nothing and taking no action as they are expected to do. The later action, the boycotting of the bus is similar to the UAX pilots denying the jumpseat, should the problem not be resolved by the stated deadline. Both of these actions are similar in that both actions are an attempt to right the wrong!

Hancock, Adams, Jefferson, Franklin and others, took a stand for something that they believed to be right and just. The pilot leadership of Skywest, Mesa, and the other pilot groups who signed the petition, are taking a stand for something they believe to be right and just, and are taking action to try and correct the wrong.

Rez,
If you took a job at UAL, you have bigger things to worry about than UAX pilots requesting the application of a fair and just, reciprocal jumpseat agreement. That's what I really mean! Good Luck!

Last edited:
What if multiple regional airlines were to join? ALPA is going to lose a lot of members over the next year and will probably have to raise dues to cover the losses.....
I guess you'd have to exclude regionals like CommutAir, Colgan, GoJet:laugh:, PSA, Great Lakes, etc as they are too small and would greatly drain your finances. If multiple regionals joined a regional union then you'd have a bunch of airlines, that previously had to be subsidized by major airlines, on their own.
How did you come up with your numbers....I came up with roughly 3.2 million dollars that ASA/Skyw would come up with in dues....Obviously we are both estimating, but they are far off....
Yearly MEC account income for a regional airline slightly smaller than ASA.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back