• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UAL training

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I see you are very astute...:rolleyes: . If you look at Bad Andy's profile, you'll see that he's on mil leave from UAL. What that means is he's accruing retirement (at about 1K a month), longevity and seniority at UAL without flying a single hour. As a matter of fact, he'll be around $100 (about $117 with retirement benefits) an hour (or higher) to be an FO by the time he goes back. He bypassed recall and when he was finally forced to take a recall, he said "put me on the list, I'll let you know when I'll come back". Now whose the ho son?

Well lets see I just read what he wrote and he said he returned in Jan of 2007 so thats what I went by.

Maybe you should check again.

401K:
yes
401k Matching:
none
A/B Fund:
none/9% B-plan
Other:
Profit sharing, C-Fund: 6%

What did I orig. post? No 401K matching (thank you for posting that because that is exactly what I said). I didn't mention funds because I had no idea what they were...thank you for educating me.

Can you now explain how the contract as a whole does not suck (days off, rigs, guarantee, etc). I know United is on par with alot of the other legacies. But on the flip side United has zero planes on order and I haven't heard alot of talk of massive retirements such as CAL and US. So not only do I see a new hire working under a crappy contract I also see a slow climb up the seniority list of a company that really hasn't changed their business model (aside from constantly touting they want to merge) since they were in bankruptcy last time around.

I admit I applied, but if the decision was put in front of me to go tomorrow...I don't know. You seem pretty stuck on this fund thing...which I know is a pretty good deal...but is the rest of the picture? It doesn't help that everytime I jumpseat on a A320 or 737 the F/O tells me to stay away. Why would you go?

Last edited:
What is it any of your business if a person goes to UAL anyway???? Stay where you are at and call it done.

Did I say it was my business?

Just asking a fair question why people are attracted to UAL. And if they are...do they have the same reservations that I have? Umm did you miss the part where I said I applied? I definitely have some pro's on my list or I wouldn't have bothered to.

Think I'm done asking questions here...sorry if I offended anyone. Good Luck!

avcrodriver:

Don't be afraid to ask questions.

The reasons people are applying to UAL is a vary as the universe. Alot of people hold hope, and I for one hope it happens, that in 2010 they will get a better contract with better work rules. Will that happen time will tell.

Others go to UAL, due to the possibility to fly international on good equipment, ie 747, 777, 757/767. Will it take a while to get to the 777 or 747 probably. It the pilot in young enough, I say 28 or so, the retirements at UAL accelerate starting in 2015 and continue to 2025. This person would then move up the list quickly. It that a ways off, you bet, but if you wait to apply, you will not be is such a good position. Now if age 65 goes through its another story, add five years.

Hope this helps.

Umm don't just blame ex Indy guys, there are also guys from other legacy's that quit to go to virgin. Some of us ex Indy guys left the airline industry to work else where because of the sorry pay. I guess you're also a whore for going back to work for a company that pays those rates. Don't be saying negative things about other pilots when you're obviously willing to do the same things. If you truly believe what you're saying you would have told united where to go when you got the recall notice.

T-Bags has already pointed out my current status. I accepted recall to United in Jan 2007. I will return to Yo-nited in fall 2009. For about 9 months, until I can reset my man day clock and return to the AF Reserves and my staff puke job for another 3 1/4 years. I really won't be back to United until 2014, if ever. If something else comes up, I will have no problem walking away from this business forever.
I find the current payscales disgusting across the board - United's payscale included - and companies such VA and Skybus will put further pressure on ALL airlines' pilot wages.

As for my Indy comments, you and I both know that the core of the pilots at both VA and Skybus are Indy grads. Not all Indy grads fill the stereotype, but that company sure produced more than it's fair share of whores. And after the crap your former company pulled on Yo-nited back when you were ACA and Yo-nited was on it's knees, it was schadenfreude to watch Indy implode. That, and I made a decent chunk of change shorting the crap out of Indy's stock. Talk about a stupid business model - start a low fare carrier with high cost aircraft (RJs). I looked at the first investors' brief from your company and started ROTFLMAO.
I used to visit your old ACA lounge and chuckled at the estrogenic comments from your fellow employees complaining on how mean the mainline people were to you poor ACAites. Having been around Yo-nited for a while, let me unequivically state that EVERYONE got treated poorly by a large minority of United employees. There was nothing personal directed at ACAites. I remember deadheading when we were authorized first if there were seats available - the gate agent said that it checked in full. He lied - an offline jumpseater took the seat in first. That was business as usual at Yo-nited.

T-Bags has already pointed out my current status. I accepted recall to United in Jan 2007. I will return to Yo-nited in fall 2009. For about 9 months, until I can reset my man day clock and return to the AF Reserves and my staff puke job for another 3 1/4 years. I really won't be back to United until 2014, if ever. If something else comes up, I will have no problem walking away from this business forever.
I find the current payscales disgusting across the board - United's payscale included - and companies such VA and Skybus will put further pressure on ALL airlines' pilot wages.

As for my Indy comments, you and I both know that the core of the pilots at both VA and Skybus are Indy grads. Not all Indy grads fill the stereotype, but that company sure produced more than it's fair share of whores. And after the crap your former company pulled on Yo-nited back when you were ACA and Yo-nited was on it's knees, it was schadenfreude to watch Indy implode. That, and I made a decent chunk of change shorting the crap out of Indy's stock. Talk about a stupid business model - start a low fare carrier with high cost aircraft (RJs). I looked at the first investors' brief from your company and started ROTFLMAO.
I used to visit your old ACA lounge and chuckled at the estrogenic comments from your fellow employees complaining on how mean the mainline people were to you poor ACAites. Having been around Yo-nited for a while, let me unequivically state that EVERYONE got treated poorly by a large minority of United employees. There was nothing personal directed at ACAites. I remember deadheading when we were authorized first if there were seats available - the gate agent said that it checked in full. He lied - an offline jumpseater took the seat in first. That was business as usual at Yo-nited.

Your right that the core pilots are ex Indy but there are some former United guys there too. I'm so glad you enjoyed us losing our jobs! Just how is that ACA screwed united. For demanding to be payed what it cost to run the RJ's and pay there pilots better than most other regionals and still show a profit. Maybe if other regionals would have done the same thing United would have found it cheaper to do the flying themselves. I guess I should have just taken a paycut below mesas wages to help poor ole United out. United management is just so innocent in the mess and they just needed everyone to help them out. How much money did they throw away on the whole bain process.

CAL pays for the hotel while in training. You also get a 76 hr gur + per diam. They also buy you a positive space ticket home on your off days. Not a bad deal except for the poor first year pay and no medical insurance for 6 months.

A career at a legacy is still the best deal out there. JMHO.

Latest resources

Back