• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UAL - shut down completely?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I admit that I have been wrong before, but I am right more times than I am wrong.

This one seems to have the writing on the wall. AAI has some very unsettling things going on over there. As you know. DAL is bleeding you to death matching you guys seat per seat on price and killing you doing it. Along those lines they will never let you have the MKE market. The guys over here are a different lot than DAL has ever had before. Good for us bad for the rest. (Enough of the threat hijack)

UAL is a position to continue to sell assets if it feels it needs to, fact is that there come a time where that will not come close to solving the woes. I am not sure if the government will let UAL go, but who knows. It is an election year and 50K jobs gone is never good press for anyone.

I think Delta and NWA shed alot of jobs too....correct? About 4000? How is the alliance with CAL such a bad thing?

Last edited:
I think Delta and NWA shed alot of jobs too....correct? About 4000? How is the alliance with CAL such a bad thing?

It's more like Continental joining STAR alliance which happens to have United in it. United is gaining almost nothing because it's not merging. It is bad because there is a likelyhood Continental positioned itself to gain at the expense of United. Furthermore, it's more important to note that Continental joining the alliance makes other strong partners more comfortable because now they have an insurance if United sinks even further below what they consider United as global partner representing North America. Just imagine in NRT with NWA/DAL and JAL/AA, then ANA without an alliance partner which they sign up for in STAR. At the same time, they (namely Lufthansa) gained access to NYC (Continental in EWR) and be able to compete with SkyTeam and DL/NW/AF/KL stuff for trans-atlantic. Gotta look at the big picture. It's a win-win for everybody except United.

Last edited:
There is wishfull thinking and then there is reality. I'm sure Walmart wants Target to die. Yes, of course Delta wants United to die. I agree that if UAL starts a large selloff of it's int'l route structure that may guarantee your wish. Until then are you completely sure that the true financial situation at DAL is absolutely superior to UAL? Just last night didn't the UAL MEC Chairman say the UAL furlough numbers were a complete "overreaction" by the company? I remember some pretty bold talk from the Independance Air CEO a few years back regarding UAL as well.

It's more like Continental joining STAR alliance which happens to have United in it. United is gaining almost nothing because it's not merging. It is bad because there is a likelyhood Continental positioned itself to gain at the expense of United. Furthermore, it's more important to note that Continental joining the alliance makes other strong partners more comfortable because now they have an insurance if United sinks even further below what they consider United as global partner representing North America. Just imagine in NRT with NWA/DAL and JAL/AA, then ANA without an alliance partner which they sign up for in STAR. At the same time, they (namely Lufthansa) gained access to NYC (Continental in EWR) and be able to compete with SkyTeam and DL/NW/AF/KL stuff for trans-atlantic. Gotta look at the big picture. It's a win-win for everybody except United.

So..United agreed to this knowing everyone was in a win win situation except United.....sounds like you have something personal against United. I don't buy your arguement...if you can even call it that.

I THINK the whole new alliance is a way for CAL to sell tickets on aircraft they don't/can't fly. Its just another way around scope. Thats what I think.

UAL going out all together...doubt it. Thats what I think.

Latest resources

Back