• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UAL - shut down completely?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It is cheaper to cut before a merger dude. Don't be surprised if they merge after the cuts...I do believe CAL is cutting too....as most Legacy airlines are. If CAL did not want anything to do with UAL then then would not enter an alliance. They do realize that if they do not join a structured alliance they may not be at the table....just how it goes.

Well, there's no crystal ball here, but I don't think this is merger mania. I think it's a desperation move to survive, period. UAL doesn't have any planes that are remotely fuel efficient. Those 737's are just the least fuel efficient. I also think it's just the beginning. It's a matter of time. And we joined Star because we didn't have a choice. We aren't going to help DL or NW, so what's the choice? We needed an international player and someone that has Pacific routes. We'll feed off UAL till they die and then take what's important. Sorry, just what I think.

Well, there's no crystal ball here, but I don't think this is merger mania. I think it's a desperation move to survive, period. UAL doesn't have any planes that are remotely fuel efficient. Those 737's are just the least fuel efficient. I also think it's just the beginning. It's a matter of time. And we joined Star because we didn't have a choice. We aren't going to help DL or NW, so what's the choice? We needed an international player and someone that has Pacific routes. We'll feed off UAL till they die and then take what's important. Sorry, just what I think.

What an optimistic outlook. You won’t be offended if us UAL folks don’t have quite a dire opinion.

We are hitting trigger points faster than anticipated. the big boys will preserve enough cash for the preset exit strategy.

So you're saying Chapt 11 soon or straight into a Chapt 7?

The Corporates and 135 boys have had enough of 121 guys for awhile.

Yeah, they find our attitudes leave a little to be desired at times and that we tend to get lost too easily.

So you're saying Chapt 11 soon or straight into a Chapt 7?

Over here at DAL they seem to think that the demise of UAL is immanent. Not sure where they are getting that info, but they are very confident in it.

...that may be true...but Delta also counted on USAir going out after 911...Their strategy was based on it....

True, and a buy out or a merger may change the playing field once again.
The only problem with that is two repeat two carriers have backed away from a deal with them. When due diligence is done and both parties get to look at the books, it makes you wonder what was seen...

True, and a buy out or a merger may change the playing field once again.
The only problem with that is two repeat two carriers have backed away from a deal with them. When due diligence is done and both parties get to look at the books, it makes you wonder what was seen...

On the second one who backed away from who. Usair was reffered to as a "toxic stew." Even our boneheaded management could see that was a cluster....... That is in no way a slam on USAir putting them together was a causing the problem.

Agreed, but you must admit that this "Global Alliance" that you and CAL have put together stinks. Something is amiss here. Either you will merge or CAL is merely placing themselves for the eventual bone picking. I hope the former. I have many friends over at UAL that will hit the streets for the second time in ten years. The first one was not pretty, so I cannot imagine what this one will look like.

Latest resources

Back