• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UAL - shut down completely?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There's no sense in arguing with a Delta pilot if Delta is ok financially. Remember, they get hired, then they're sent to some sort of reprogramming building where they come out speaking 'robot'. Delta's financial picture isn't great either. And if they think that this merger will be the cure, they're smoking crack. NW needed a dance partner and they got it. And if Delta guys don't think that a furlough is coming, well.....you speak 'robot' anyway.

So..United agreed to this knowing everyone was in a win win situation except United.....sounds like you have something personal against United. I don't buy your arguement...if you can even call it that.

I am sorry I don't wish misfortune on anyone. But you have got to ask yourself. It is no secret United has a management team who are just not interested! For the past two years, every other words out of Tilton's mouth were merge! merge! merge! instead of polishing their very fine own operation with tremendous potential (more assets than Continental I might add) to turn to huge profit, instead of focusing on how to be more efficient, but just sitting around screwing around with Ted until the planes got old with no future orders. Pretty much everyone else considered United as a merger partner, and a couple of them very seriously and walked away. You have got to be kidding yourself if you don't believe that this was United's last resort to have Continental join STAR. United is like a girl who you would never ever marry but would love to be in bed. United was desperate to marry, but her time ran out.

I am sorry I don't wish misfortune on anyone. But you have got to ask yourself. It is no secret United has a management team who are just not interested! For the past two years, every other words out of Tilton's mouth were merge! merge! merge! instead of polishing their very fine own operation with tremendous potential (more assets than Continental I might add) to turn to huge profit, instead of focusing on how to be more efficient, but just sitting around screwing around with Ted until the planes got old with no future orders. Pretty much everyone else considered United as a merger partner, and a couple of them very seriously and walked away. You have got to be kidding yourself if you don't believe that this was United's last resort to have Continental join STAR. United is like a girl who you would never ever marry but would love to be in bed. United was desperate to marry, but her time ran out.

....and maybe they realized through the "merger" talks that it will be better to merge AFTER cuts are made...it is cheaper to do it that way. I hope you do understand that United is not the only one cutting back. Almost every legacy is in some way. Obviously CAL did walk away from the merger from United but they still were talking...thus the alliance. In my opionion, if a merger is going to happen in the end...it is the smartest way to do it. United's time has not run out.

Last edited:
Everybody is cutting back but it's a cold fact that the first legacy airline that sinks will save everybody else. I can tell you it won't be Delta. It probably won't be Continental. Why merge if you see in the books that it may not be saved in the current economics. The better alternative is to position itself closer and let the nature take it's course.

A major point you all are missing – Barack Obama, a democrat who resides in Chicago and a Illinois Senator, is not going to let UAL, a Chicago company and employing thousands, go Chapter 7, if he is elected.

It very well may be UAL’s ace-in-the-hole.

Now if McCain gets in, then all bets are off.

Good luck to all of us!!

AA767AV8TOR

Everybody is cutting back but it's a cold fact that the first legacy airline that sinks will save everybody else. I can tell you it won't be Delta. It probably won't be Continental. Why merge if you see in the books that it may not be saved in the current economics. The better alternative is to position itself closer and let the nature take it's course.

you are correct...I hate to see any airline go out but I really don't think it will be UAL,DAL,AMR,CAL,or NWA. There are weaker ones....but you are right.

There's no sense in arguing with a Delta pilot if Delta is ok financially. Remember, they get hired, then they're sent to some sort of reprogramming building where they come out speaking 'robot'. Delta's financial picture isn't great either. And if they think that this merger will be the cure, they're smoking crack. NW needed a dance partner and they got it. And if Delta guys don't think that a furlough is coming, well.....you speak 'robot' anyway.

Heh. I think the correct term is "Deltoid" not, robot.

Let the "Deltoidinfication" begin . . . beep . . . beep.

A major point you all are missing – Barack Obama, a democrat who resides in Chicago and a Illinois Senator, is not going to let UAL, a Chicago company and employing thousands, go Chapter 7, if he is elected.

It very well may be UAL’s ace-in-the-hole.

Now if McCain gets in, then all bets are off.

Good luck to all of us!!

AA767AV8TOR

What do you think Barack will do? Get out his personal ATM card and head to his personal bank and cover all the fuel costs and 777 leases?

Give me a break. The President can't "let" or "not let" an airline die if that is what the free market system has in store for it.

Tilton got how many zillions in stock options? His attitude from the ivory tower towards the line worker is how rosy?

That is what I thought. Tilton is the exact type of CEO that Barack has in his gunsites.

What do you think Barack will do? Get out his personal ATM card and head to his personal bank and cover all the fuel costs and 777 leases?

Watch him. It’s called using the “Tax Payers Money.” No way will a senator living in Chicago let his own hometown airline die if elected President.

Being a democrat, there will be tremendous pressure on him to either bailout or re-regulate the airlines.

It’s a different story with McCain.

AA767AV8TOR

Watch him. It’s called using the “Tax Payers Money.” No way will a senator living in Chicago let his own hometown airline die if elected President.

Being a democrat, there will be tremendous pressure on him to either bailout or re-regulate the airlines.

It’s a different story with McCain.

AA767AV8TOR

First of all, if elected, Obama will only be the President...not the King. So any proposals he puts forth will have to be voted on by the Congress...Same goes for re-regulation. It ain't gonna happen just because Obama wants it to.

And if you think they will "rubber stamp" anything coming from Obama....look up the Clinton HealthCare plan and how they tried to get that through with a Democratic majority in the House and the SEnate.

Likewise, look and see how President Bush's proposal to overhaul Social Security went over....with a Republican majority in both the Senate and the House.

Additionally, a Senator from Chicago may not want to see his hometown airline go out of business, but he alone doesn't have the power to keep that from happening. Not doubt, he will get some "pushback" from the Texas delegation, who would like to see more of their constituents get recalled at AA....knowing that a UAL BK ( or worse) would result in increased service at ORD by AA....no way they would support a "bailout" for the Chicago hometown airline.

Remember, he's got to get a whole lot of Senators to go along with him...or it just won't happen.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back