• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UAL/CAL near deal

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I am a UAL furloughee that chose, i.e., hired by two, major carriers, to go to UAL because of the domicile locations. Should I be junior to a CO guy or girl forcing me to commute to NJ, OH, or TX?

My point isn't one of entitlement, but rather our collective future. I'm screwed on the SLI hierarchy. Point is - UA and CO are stronger in the long-term as a single carrier. Don't mess up the integration by thinking you will be better off.

Screw everyone a little bit and wait for the retirements to kick in. It will get better.

I am a UAL furloughee that chose, i.e., hired by two, major carriers, to go to UAL because of the domicile locations. Should I be junior to a CO guy or girl forcing me to commute to NJ, OH, or TX?

My point isn't one of entitlement, but rather our collective future. I'm screwed on the SLI hierarchy. Point is - UA and CO are stronger in the long-term as a single carrier. Don't mess up the integration by thinking you will be better off.

Screw everyone a little bit and wait for the retirements to kick in. It will get better.

That door swings both ways.

There are guys at CAL that chose to go to CAL so they could be in the domiciles you listed.

Perhaps they will get stuck in LAX, SFO, or ORD when they have absolutely no desire to live in the midwest or west coast.

I have no doubt there are a large contingent of UA pilots that can't wait to bid EWR so they can get back to the northeast and I'm sure an equal amount of Texans that are chomping at the bit to get back home to the "mother-land".

Like you stated, there will be some screwed on both sides.

Sorry, but yes you should be junior. If this merger doesn't happen, chances are that CAL will not have any furloughs and will probably be hiring by year end, you cannot say that the prospects are as good at UAL. Should you benefit from a merger with a stronger, better run company? Sure, but your expectations as a UAL pilot, at any level of seniority should be lower than an equivalent level of seniority pilot at CAL. This could of course change in the future, but you have to look at the positions of the companies today.

The fact that you chose UA based on domiciles is also irrelevant since airlines open and close bases all the time. I also don't agree that a combined company will benefit everyone, I really fail to see the benefit to CAL of this deal,the Star alliance has all the benefits with none of the drawbacks.

BTW I am not a CAL pilot.

Last edited:
This merger is better for both the UAL and CO pilots futures. And ironically for all major airline pilots.

How junior/senior is IAD for UA? BTW not trying to sound like a prick, I'd much rather stay (relatively) happily based in EWR. But if push comes to shove, it's the next choice in line.

Sorry, but yes you should be junior. If this merger doesn't happen, chances are that CAL will not have any furloughs and will probably be hiring by year end, you cannot say that the prospects are as good at UAL. Should you benefit from a merger with a stronger, better run company? Sure, but your expectations as a UAL pilot, at any level of seniority should be lower than an equivalent level of seniority pilot at CAL. This could of course change in the future, but you have to look at the positions of the companies today.

The fact that you chose UA based on domiciles is also irrelevant since airlines open and close bases all the time. I also don't agree that a combined company will benefit everyone, I really fail to see the benefit to CAL of this deal,the Star alliance has all the benefits with none of the drawbacks.

So you THINK CAL will hire for the winter sked?? You can think all you want, just like CAL's aircraft deliveries are for growth. Until it happens it means nothing.....

I think I speak for all EWR Based CAL pilots when I say "Come on Over"! We'll swap at any time. It would SUCK to be STUCK IN SFO or LAX! Hysterical!

Who gives a crap.

WE MUST STAND TOGETHER OR WE WILL ALL WATCH RJ's FLY OUR JOBS VERY SOON! Management has been extremely sucessful at bashing two groups against each other for managements benefit. WE MUST NOT SNEAK;SIGN;AGREE to anything that doesn't benefit ALL Pilots on the list.

Spellcheck broken.

WE MUST STAND TOGETHER OR WE WILL ALL WATCH RJ's FLY OUR JOBS VERY SOON! Management has been extremely sucessful at bashing two groups against each other for managements benefit. WE MUST NOT SNEAK;SIGN;AGREE to anything that doesn't benefit ALL Pilots on the list.

Spellcheck broken.

Agreed!! I hope they don't F this up!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back