• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UAL/CAL near deal

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Have the UAL and CO MEC's even met? Do you think they will follow the DAL/NWA model?

Wasn't that SLI essentially hammered out early on?

I think I speak for all EWR Based CAL pilots when I say "Come on Over"! We'll swap at any time. It would SUCK to be STUCK IN SFO or LAX! Hysterical!

Who gives a crap.

WE MUST STAND TOGETHER OR WE WILL ALL WATCH RJ's FLY OUR JOBS VERY SOON! Management has been extremely sucessful at bashing two groups against each other for managements benefit. WE MUST NOT SNEAK;SIGN;AGREE to anything that doesn't benefit ALL Pilots on the list.

Spellcheck broken.

Agreed!!

I believe the CAL ALPA contractural shut down of the Star Alliance will remain in effect and comes due the end of this year. MEC Chair Pierce has stated that the instant a merger is formally announced CAL ALPA will shift efforts into negotiating a joint contract. This should set an aggressive timeline and create leverage for both groups as we merge. Let's get our share of the new airplanes and opportunities.

Have the UAL and CO MEC's even met? Do you think they will follow the DAL/NWA model?

Wasn't that SLI essentially hammered out early on?

According to a conference call a week ago, Pierce and Morse speak almost daily. When it's a real deal, contract efforts shift to a joint, single agreement. An effort to intergrate outside of arbitration will be efforted and is everyone's first choice, however unrealistic that may be.

Sorry, but yes you should be junior. If this merger doesn't happen, chances are that CAL will not have any furloughs and will probably be hiring by year end, you cannot say that the prospects are as good at UAL. Should you benefit from a merger with a stronger, better run company? Sure, but your expectations as a UAL pilot, at any level of seniority should be lower than an equivalent level of seniority pilot at CAL. This could of course change in the future, but you have to look at the positions of the companies today.

The fact that you chose UA based on domiciles is also irrelevant since airlines open and close bases all the time. I also don't agree that a combined company will benefit everyone, I really fail to see the benefit to CAL of this deal,the Star alliance has all the benefits with none of the drawbacks.

BTW I am not a CAL pilot.

While I fully agree that both sides are going to end up feeling screwed in some way, I also think that the opportunities will be greater for BOTH sides if this deal goes thru.

For UAL pilots....the chance to have a management team that wants to run an airline....(What a novel forkin idea!!!). More narrowbodies which will allow advancements for those that want the left seat. (Not saying right away of course....fences and all. Just saying the merged entity will hopefully not concentrate of farming out the domestic like UAL has done).

For CAL pilots.....the chance for many more primo widebody seats. (Again....not counting fences and all) I read somewhere that UAL has about 4 times more widebodies than CAL, with more than double the amount on order.

The MEC's from both sides have been meeting for many months in anticipation of this. This will not be a LCC/AWA kind of deal. I have not talked to one UAL pilot that thinks DOH is fair. And I have yet to hear from a CAL pilot that thinks a Captain hired in 2002 should go in front of a 1994 hire at UAL. (Certainly not saying they should lose their seat.....absolutely not)

When it's all said and done, I think relative seniority will rule. If you're in the 61st percentile on your list now, I'm thinking you can anticipate being around the same place when it's all over. Not a windfall for either side. Sure, being at the bottom of the UAL list will suck, just like it has for the last 10 years. But, I think this deal will get things moving in the right direction for them.....finally.

Just my opinions......man.

While I fully agree that both sides are going to end up feeling screwed in some way, I also think that the opportunities will be greater for BOTH sides if this deal goes thru.

For UAL pilots....the chance to have a management team that wants to run an airline....(What a novel forkin idea!!!). More narrowbodies which will allow advancements for those that want the left seat. (Not saying right away of course....fences and all. Just saying the merged entity will hopefully not concentrate of farming out the domestic like UAL has done).

For CAL pilots.....the chance for many more primo widebody seats. (Again....not counting fences and all) I read somewhere that UAL has about 4 times more widebodies than CAL, with more than double the amount on order.

The MEC's from both sides have been meeting for many months in anticipation of this. This will not be a LCC/AWA kind of deal. I have not talked to one UAL pilot that thinks DOH is fair. And I have yet to hear from a CAL pilot that thinks a Captain hired in 2002 should go in front of a 1994 hire at UAL. (Certainly not saying they should lose their seat.....absolutely not)

When it's all said and done, I think relative seniority will rule. If you're in the 61st percentile on your list now, I'm thinking you can anticipate being around the same place when it's all over. Not a windfall for either side. Sure, being at the bottom of the UAL list will suck, just like it has for the last 10 years. But, I think this deal will get things moving in the right direction for them.....finally.

Just my opinions......man.

UAL guys are going to learn to lose the rose colored glasses when looking at CAL Management fast. The talent that made us an industry darling has drained to bottom and leaving our midget Sismek is in charge. I know Tilton is equivalent to Hades, but Jeff makes for an eager apprentice. My two biggest concerns as a CAL pilot with this deal:

1) Debt Load: and CAL is no clean virgin either
2) Scope: UAL domestic flying>50% RJ, that has GOT to change

If the Euro Zone troubles lead to a double dip recession even mild, this Mega Carrier will be in a world of hurt.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back