• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UAL/CAL near deal

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This could be closer to reality than one might think. From 1999-2001 UAL hired about 2000 pilots the mainline. Around the same time CAL also hired 2000, except they weren't to the mainline, they were at XJT, which was then spun off without any resistance from many pilots who don't want "those" kind of pilots on the property. This may be coming back to haunt them. There is a huge whole in the CAL seniority list at that point. I don't see it so far fetched to have an "adjustment" of sorts for this, advantageous to the junior UAL pilots, not so much for the CAL pilots.

You have no clue!

This could be closer to reality than one might think. From 1999-2001 UAL hired about 2000 pilots the mainline. Around the same time CAL also hired 2000, except they weren't to the mainline, they were at XJT, which was then spun off without any resistance from many pilots who don't want "those" kind of pilots on the property. This may be coming back to haunt them. There is a huge whole in the CAL seniority list at that point. I don't see it so far fetched to have an "adjustment" of sorts for this, advantageous to the junior UAL pilots, not so much for the CAL pilots.

What are you saying? That UAL was somehow better than CAL when it comes to outsourcing?

If the OO at the end of your name is bc of skywest- you know that's not remotely true

What, no love for Cleveland???

To quote a phrase........ "Have you ever heard of anybody saying - I am going on a vacation to Cleveland!" ;)

Kidding - there was a time that CLE was an embarassment downtown.....but since they have cleaned up the city and have changed their reputation in a lot of people's eyes. Good people there for sure......

As a United guy, believe me this is not the attitude that prevails. Both side will have their coo coo's trying to stir crap up.

As a United guy, believe me this is not the attitude that prevails. Both side will have their coo coo's trying to stir crap up.
Not trying to stir it up. Just trying to see what an arbitrator might make of this gaping hiring gap at CAL while UAL hired 2000. That's going to be a difficult part of the list to put together. Apparently, it can get very dynamic in the bottom third. From another thread:
There were 2007 hires at Delta put ahead of 2000 hires at NWA. The arbitrators saw it that way, and that was that.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Nope. It doesn't matter. DL hired 650 in 2007, and they were mixed in with year 2000 hires at NWA in the merge. What were those DL guys doing before 2007? Probably flying at Expressjet or wherever. The arbitrators used the date when the announcement was officially made. Anyone on the list then was mixed in, pretty close to relative seniority. (category and status mixed in there too) Anyone hired after the announcement was placed at the bottom. (some DL pilots) The bottom 650 at Delta represented the bottom 7% of DL, and they again were mixed in with the bottom 7% at NWA, which went to year 2000 hires. I don't see much of an adjustment at all. And, USAir and UAL had talks between the "old" CAL/UAL talks and the current ones, so I doubt you can say you should start way back at the initial balked talks a couple years ago.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
I don't see much of an adjustment at all. And, USAir and UAL had talks between the "old" CAL/UAL talks and the current ones, so I doubt you can say you should start way back at the initial balked talks a couple years ago.

Especially so given CAL formally bowed out.

I'm all for everybody getting the best deal they can, but a furlough can't be expected to placed in front of a working pilot. I understand longevity is a factor in merger policy, but let's not make that a go-to item at this point. UAL ALPA should expect to do some heavy lifting on behalf of their junior pilots and not delve into possible merger policy subterfuge. There is going to be a much different scope clause that prevails than what UAL has right now and that is what they want to leverage a benefit for their junior pilots against.

Every single 50+ seat jet not flown by UAL is in violation of CAL's scope. Park every dam one of them. Or don't do the deal, drop out Star, or make plans to put our pilots from the new airline in them.

Relative seniority will prevail. I don't think anyone realistically expects a furloughed guy to come off the street and bump a captain out his seat. While not perfect by all definitions, the DAL/NWA has become the model for SLI.

Last edited:
Relative seniority will prevail. I don't think anyone realistically expects a furloughed guy to come off the street and bump a captain out his seat. While not perfect by all definitions, the DAL/NWA has become the model for SLI.

Relative to what? The only fair standard is the day you were hired. How does your airline determine which nonrevs get boarded first? DOH. How do you bid for positions on your pilot seniority list? DOH. How do all the ohter unions bid for vacation? DOH. See the pattern?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back