• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UAL/CAL/AMR/USAIR/DELTA Retirements

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
But then again...the young pups now aren't worried about what happened years ago...only what concerns them now.

There were about 3,000-4,000 "young pups" like this between UAL and CAL around 1983-5 that weren't worried about anyone but themselves, either. Hmmmm... wait, which demographic was in the majority that pushed for age 65? Who is concerned with themselves, again?

This "young pup" studied what happened "back then" and he just watched it happen in similar fashion - just in the form of AGE 65 legislation change this time.

Please help us understand how a "young pup" concerned for retirements today is selfish and uncaring of the past, but an old fart wanting 5 more years before he retires is ok. Don't waste your time - you can't.

Sincerely,

B. Franklin

Just like the auto industry and housing industry we need a large reduction.

You are the only boob that needs reducing.

Have you even bothered to look at the FAA projections for passenger enplanements looking forward?

When you unlatch from the IATA's tit of information flow, do yourself (and those of us forced to read your posts) a favor and get more sides of the story before blathering.

Sincerely,

B. Franklin

There were about 3,000-4,000 "young pups" like this between UAL and CAL around 1983-5 that weren't worried about anyone but themselves, either. Hmmmm... wait, which demographic was in the majority that pushed for age 65? Who is concerned with themselves, again?

This "young pup" studied what happened "back then" and he just watched it happen in similar fashion - just in the form of AGE 65 legislation change this time.

Please help us understand how a "young pup" concerned for retirements today is selfish and uncaring of the past, but an old fart wanting 5 more years before he retires is ok. Don't waste your time - you can't.

Sincerely,

B. Franklin

It's the law get over it.

Diesel, Roman and Prussian: Nonsense. As usual. I flew with guys who spent 10+ years as engineers and all they did was complain. Some had been furloughed, sure, but there were jobs available then. Most notably, I've flown with Prater's exact demographic and I can promise you, if 65 had happened when he was junior, the complining would be ten times what it is now. John only stopped griping about how wrong it was that someone else was in his seat (scabs) when it suited his goal of running ALPA. We're talking 25 years.

Prater's 65 rule has been worse for the airline pilot profession than Lorenzo. After the CAL strike, rates of pay were homogenized for aircraft types, lines of time were more equal and the junior pilots didn't have it so different than the senior. The disparity today is immense. Prater won't address it in the least bit. In fact, that's half the reason he changed it the way he did. His actions will become more clearly defined in the next few years. We're going to look back on this as one of the worst actions in our profession's history.

BTW: Anybody remember about two years ago when Prater put the blurb on ALPA's web site about "The FO that get's it"? His handwringing, teary-eyed plea for everyone to get on board with 65 because the poor, soon to be retired were in need? I would like to know where the "FO" is today? Where is John's concern for this pilot today? When will he write a plea titled "The over 60 captain who get's it"?

That is discrimination. You should find yourself a job with the Cambridge Police Dept.

this post doesn't even deserve a reply. I would be honored to work for the Cambridge Police Dept. because only you most of the media and the president are stupid ones, jumping to a conclusion before knowing the facts.

Diesel, Roman and Prussian: Nonsense. As usual. I flew with guys who spent 10+ years as engineers and all they did was complain. Some had been furloughed, sure, but there were jobs available then. Most notably, I've flown with Prater's exact demographic and I can promise you, if 65 had happened when he was junior, the complining would be ten times what it is now. John only stopped griping about how wrong it was that someone else was in his seat (scabs) when it suited his goal of running ALPA. We're talking 25 years.[/QUOTE] Taking advantage of Free Speech while still available, I disagree because I didn't see it at NW. Maybe I should thank the H.R. Dept.

You are the only boob that needs reducing.

Have you even bothered to look at the FAA projections for passenger enplanements looking forward?

When you unlatch from the IATA's tit of information flow, do yourself (and those of us forced to read your posts) a favor and get more sides of the story before blathering.
I have looked at alot of info. With the projected cost of fleet replacements the next 10-20 years, probable fuel cost rising in a recovering economic cycle, they project 10-20 % of those projected passengers ain't going to be able to afford to fly. This comes from company marketing people. Airlines will be slow to grow any fleets and keep flying the high load factors til demand drops which it is already doing. 10-15% this year already. Wait til all the boombers retire and quit working. Flying will become a little like the old days, not so cheap. Or they will be able to fly cheap on the Barbie jets flown by Illegal Aliens. We will probably continue to see new airlines come and go, trying to keep ticket prices toooooooo low.

Last edited:
this post doesn't even deserve a reply. I would be honored to work for the Cambridge Police Dept. because only you most of the media and the president are stupid ones, jumping to a conclusion before knowing the facts.

It was an outrageous racial discrimination event.

Latest resources

Back