UAL announces another recall class- 21 Aug

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
IB6 UB9 said:
Of course. Basically they will call me, I will bypass, and they will call me again in 20 minutes.
I believe the last 100 are not going to have the option to bypass.

Andy said:
HOLY SHNIKES!
Looks like I'll be taking mil leave (plan on using all six years available under USERRA) and getting pass priveleges back sooner than I thought. :beer:

It's five years, but that's still a lot!

HR Diva

IB6 UB9 said:
Of course. Basically they will call me, I will bypass, and they will call me again in 20 minutes.

You do have the option to resign when they call you the first time. That is what you are going to do right? Heck you could resign now based on your dislike for UAL. Just cut the strings.

lostplnetairman said:

HR Diva
Although the USERRA law says 5 years, UAL and ALPA agreed to extend it to 6 years for UAL pilots.

lostplnetairman said:

HR Diva

My bad for not being clear on that, HR Diva. UAL's contract (as HuggyU2's pointed out) allows UAL pilots to remain on mil leave for a total of 6 years. It even allows you to be on mil leave for 5 yrs, 9 mos and then not report back to UAL for another 3 months.

Due to AF reserve rules, I will have to return to UAL for approximately 10 months halfway through that 6 year stretch. AF Reserve only allows a member to serve on active duty for 1095 days on a 1440 day rolling calendar. This breaks out to three out of every four years.

I have a few motivations for remaining on mil leave. Most importantly, I enjoy my job ... it is outside of the flying arena in a joint staff position. Secondly, I currently have 18 1/2 active duty years toward retirement; I'd like to be able to get a retirement immediately after military retirement rather than wait until I turn 60. Third, UAL puts 15% of my base pay (what my base pay would be) into my 401k while I'm on military leave of absence.

For any airline pilot off of probation who is part time military, taking mil leave is a great deal. To be sure, I wouldn't want this big of a flying gap if I were still on probation.

32LT10 said:
You do have the option to resign when they call you the first time. That is what you are going to do right? Heck you could resign now based on your dislike for UAL. Just cut the strings.

On the latest seniority list, I know that at least five pilots below me have resigned and no longer have a UAL seniority number. ... and since I'm still furloughed, they were also.

Andy said:
My bad for not being clear on that, HR Diva. UAL's contract (as HuggyU2's pointed out) allows UAL pilots to remain on mil leave for a total of 6 years. It even allows you to be on mil leave for 5 yrs, 9 mos and then not report back to UAL for another 3 months.

Due to AF reserve rules, I will have to return to UAL for approximately 10 months halfway through that 6 year stretch. AF Reserve only allows a member to serve on active duty for 1095 days on a 1440 day rolling calendar. This breaks out to three out of every four years.

I have a few motivations for remaining on mil leave. Most importantly, I enjoy my job ... it is outside of the flying arena in a joint staff position. Secondly, I currently have 18 1/2 active duty years toward retirement; I'd like to be able to get a retirement immediately after military retirement rather than wait until I turn 60. Third, UAL puts 15% of my base pay (what my base pay would be) into my 401k while I'm on military leave of absence.

For any airline pilot off of probation who is part time military, taking mil leave is a great deal. To be sure, I wouldn't want this big of a flying gap if I were still on probation.

I wish UAL and ALPA could have come up with a similar deal for those of us who wanted to join the military, but were denied entry for various reasons. Unfortunately, we civilians don't have the options that the military guys/gals have.

GuppyPuppy said:
I wish UAL and ALPA could have come up with a similar deal for those of us who wanted to join the military, but were denied entry for various reasons. Unfortunately, we civilians don't have the options that the military guys/gals have.

Recently, I was offered a position with a contractor as flight manager/backup pilot in Iraq. I would've liked to take it (it's an important classified mission), but it required me to be there for a year. I don't expect to be able to bypass for that long, and it's gotten pretty hard to get a non-military LOA.

Andy said:
Recently, I was offered a position with a contractor as flight manager/backup pilot in Iraq. I would've liked to take it (it's an important classified mission), but it required me to be there for a year. I don't expect to be able to bypass for that long, and it's gotten pretty hard to get a non-military LOA.

Andy,

You may want to call Bob Neil about the position you mentioned above. I know we have a fairly prominent WHQFS person that is now doing a "civilian" job in IRAQ. I had him in on one of my flights just before he left and mentioned the company's understanding for those in the type of jobs you are interested in. It may be worth the phone call if you really want to do the job.

In any event good to see your number coming up. You are one of the most knowledgable guys around and look forward to having back at UA.

IB6 UB9 said:

I agree, stay where you are. UAL is the Titanic, and is sinking fast. Just look at all the people bypassing. Besides with creeps like 32LT10, I'd much rather stay at a company like Jet Blue where the attitude is a lot less stuck up!

Latest resources

Back