UAL announces another recall class- 21 Aug

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Batplane said:
Hiring issues...Pay...My plane is bigger than yours! Hey guys, here's a dead horse, come on, lets all beat it!

Like SWA F/O said, this is just good rivalry.

What will it be the new estimated upgrade time @ UAL after recalls?

Looking at Airline Pilot Central it shows that the most junior captain was hired in 1997, so currently it takes 9 years roughly to upgrade, anyone can make an educated guess about upgrade time after all the recalls will be expleted and the retirements will take place?

I'm leaving a LCC to come back to UAL...the pilots are much more professional and I can't stand 5 legs a day everyday. I know I may work harder initially but I like UAL and I think the company has good long term prospects.

Yuppyguppy said:
I'm leaving a LCC to come back to UAL...the pilots are much more professional and I can't stand 5 legs a day everyday. I know I may work harder initially but I like UAL and I think the company has good long term prospects.

Glad to have you back. Hopefully we will have hiring in the near future to boost your seat seniority. One of the guys I commute with is a returning pilot that is on the bus. He said the bus has a better lifestyle than the 737. Not sure what the actual flying looks like but that was what he was saying. Do they give you a choice on equipment when you return?

Yuppyguppy said:

Which recall class will you be in? Congrats.

In regards to which a/c your assigned to on return, it's based on seniority in class. I was 18 out of 25 in my class and was awarded the Bus. After the actual phone call and upon acceptance of a recall you'll receive a "recall package" in the mail. In it you'll find a bid sheet w/ all fleets and bases to be numbered based on your preference. After that, I didn't know what I was awarded until I received another package containing my new FOM and AFM, along with a letter from the A320 CP.

Good Luck!

Tanner said:
In regards to which a/c your assigned to on return, it's based on seniority in class. I was 18 out of 25 in my class and was awarded the Bus. After the actual phone call and upon acceptance of a recall you'll receive a "recall package" in the mail. In it you'll find a bid sheet w/ all fleets and bases to be numbered based on your preference. After that, I didn't know what I was awarded until I received another package containing my new FOM and AFM, along with a letter from the A320 CP.

Good Luck!

Tanner,

Please tell me the Captains are buying on the layovers for you guys just coming back.

I presently work at a regional. My goal has always been working for UAL, not that it is a better company than Southwest but it is a company that has what i desire. I think SouthWest is a great company with great people, but many people choose UAL for different reasons.

It is difficult enought to tackle management regarding their pay cuts, loss of pensions, degradation of quality of life that fighting among our own pilots regarding which plane is bigger seems very unprofessional.

Just my two cents.

SH

Sir Humpalot said:
I presently work at a regional. My goal has always been working for UAL, not that it is a better company than Southwest but it is a company that has what i desire. I think SouthWest is a great company with great people, but many people choose UAL for different reasons.

It is difficult enought to tackle management regarding their pay cuts, loss of pensions, degradation of quality of life that fighting among our own pilots regarding which plane is bigger seems very unprofessional.

Just my two cents.

SH

I couldn't agree more. UAL has a lot of desirable things that a lot of other companies do not. High on that list is a group of professional pilots who just seem to have a bit more respect for what they do than you see most everywhere else you look. Yes, United has had goof ups that have killed people. What airline that has been flying for 80 years has not? They practically invented CRM after the '78 Portland accident. How many accidents has that prevented since? Who knows? A lot probably.

You see a lot fewer UAL pilots walking down a terminal looking like they purchased their uniform 10 years and 50 pounds ago with a hat smashed who knows how many times and left in the back of a car fading in the sun for weeks. If you listen to a crew brief just before requesting a jumpseat, you will most likely hear a very thorough and careful discussion of just about everything that's a threat. Simply does not happen at so many other places. I am not bashing any other companies, but when you see and hear things in this industry for a while you get an idea of what's OK, what's good, what's better, and what's best. It's just a matter of we all have our own opinions.

Latest resources

Back