• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

U.S. Customs Aviation

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sounds good to me. I remember having the same frustrations filling out the app. I just did the best I could and the interview letter came a few months later. I applied in Sep 01, the notice closed in Dec 01, got the call for an interview in late March 02, interviewed in April 02, got hired in May 02, got a class date in Oct 02, and started in March 03. It is a long process.

Hopefully, third time is a charm for me. It's a wierd hiring process, somewhat hit or miss from what I see. I know some really qualified applicants (speak spanish, good flight time, lunar landings) that don't get the call. It's a popular job through, with the announcement closing at 700 applications, you can guess what the historical numbers have been. I guess there is no lack of pilots who like steady employment, cool beer, nice airplanes and government isssued firearms. Customs had good taste when they settled on the AUG for a rifle.

Hey Forrest, where do the VR/C-9B guys do sim training?

Last edited:
Dangerous??

Hey Forrest (or any other customs guys willing to respond),
I am having a lot of trouble selling this to my wife. I think I played up the lawenforcement end too much. You know what I mean carrying a side arm, and getting close to suspicious a/c to read the tail # (this is what I was told and dont know to be true). Have any pilots ever fallen in the line of duty?
Is there any way a can truthfully play down the dangerous aspect of the job? This is unfortunate since that is partly what appeals to me. I did try to bring up the pay, time off, benifits and so forth, but to no avail.
Any help is appreciated, thanks again
usc

Hi,

Just a question for those that got their letter. I just received mine and also got the EA code. However, it gave me an EA code for both Airplane and Aircraft pilot. I have never even been in a Helo, let alone rated in one. Did everyone receive 2 EA codes at the bottom, or is something funny on mine? I only applied for the Airplane announcement (so I thought).

Thanks and good luck to all

DANGEROUS!

USC PILOT.

Tell your wife that flying an airliner is no different. You got an entire population trying to blow your airplane in the sky everyday. You are the target.

Also, flying light civilian airplanes statistically kills more people every year than any Customs outfit. BTW, if you happen to go in the line of duty, she might become a millionaire.

Seriously, what might appear to be dangerous flying to her will not be that when you get and she understands the trainining and how you learn all the risk measures that are in place. Not talking for customs, but for military tactical flying. Flying at 300 ft at night at 450 knts and on the goggles might sound crazy to you and me, but its do-able and surprisingly enough, most of tacair accidents don't happen on that environment. I think customs last airplance related accident happen a few years ago in Puerto Rico. Mid-air collision (dont have the details).

At my present unit, we had one of those and we lost 7 guys at once. Jut the way this business is.

I believe the PR accident was during an attept to get aircraft out while a Hurricane was approaching

It was a while ago, I think early 90's, but I think a 404 or Cheyenne was one of the planes.

Also I ** believe ** during the same time frame, early 90's, a night accident occurred (no fatalities) where a 210 descending into MIA/FLL area, coming across the water, hit the ocean.

anyway, bottom line, flying in general can be dangerous and due to the mission parameters and environment, law enforcement/interdiction flying/etc can be pretty **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** dangerous also

thats why they pay that big 13 pay

The way the PR accident story goes was that there was a midair while evacuating for a hurricane. Basically two Nomads were flying formation and the crews got distracted doing something else. One flew over the other and clipped the rudder, bending it. That crew didn't feel they had the controlability to land on a runway so went for the water near an island off the coast. The pilot who passed away was stuck in his seat underwater and they couldn't free him. It's an interesting stroy but since I wasn't there these are the basics.

As far as being hazzardous, it's not nearly as risky as the military. Good equipment and smart tactics go a long way. The first rule of law enforcement is to go home every night. Arresting someone can wait if you don't think it's safe.

Learning the equipment FLIR/Radar/etc., is all pretty easy. This isn't a place where you'll be expected to explain some trivial facts to pass a checkride. Just learn to use the toys and fly the aircraft and you'll be fine.

Anyway it's fun and if you come with a positive attitude you'll have a blast.

Good luck to all looking to join

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back