Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Some more questions...

Forrest -

Thanks for taking the time to answer our questions...

I sent my application packet yesterday for a recent vacancy announcement. In the unlikely
event I get a call, I'm curious what the interview in Oklahoma was like when you went through.
E.g., common questions asked, flight check/sim ride, etc. Anything you're willing to divulge is
better than going in cold.

A bit of a personal question. I understand flying for Customs is more than 'just about the
flying.' However, I gotta' imagine somebody in your position --coming from UAL-- would have
to ask themselves,"...what the hell am I doing in this 210...," more than just a couple of times?
Have/did you ever regret taking the job? Why wouldn't you go back to UAL at this point if
recalled? Any thoughts about eventually moving on to a LCC down the road? Are there many
guys that make a move to the airlines or elsewhere?

Lastly, about how much actual flying are you doing per year? Thanks again...take care.

Regards,
2lt

As far as the questions for the interview, they are mainly HR type questions. "Tell us about a time...you were in a leadership position, your worst aircraft emergency, how did you handel it, what would you do if you saw an illegal act... I am sorry I don't a complete list, but the gouge is out there. It has been 3 years since my interview. At the time I interviewed in San Diego, now it is all done in OK.
As far as an LCC. I comuted to Chicago for UAL and lived in a crash pad for a year. The glamor wore off and then the tragic events of 9/11 was the icing on the cake. There are still flying jobs out there, but you have to be willing to sacrifice. The pay scales have been cut and work rules increased. Don't let this damping your dream of being an airline pilot, but so much is based on timing. It is a roll of the dice. With so much military time, I feel more comfortable with a steady job, secured pension... There was a time when many pilots left Customs to go to the airlines, but many are on the streets right now. I just happened to be lucky enough to go the other way. The grass always looks greener, you cannot tell that to everyone. I have several friends flying P-3s and enjoying it (GS-13 pay + 25%). I guess we fly about 20-40 hours a month, but you have to remember you are not getting paid by the flight hour. The job is not for everyone, I have just tried to show the positive side of things. I guess I would still be flying the friendly skies, but they are not so friendly anymore. Not to mention the fact that there are over 2100 furloughed UAL pilots right now. I guess I will have to cross that bridge of going back when they call...not to be expected for at least a 3-5 years years. Another thing you learn when you fly the line is that there are alot of pilots out there who have been furloughed 1,2,and 3 times. The younger you are the easier it is to do, but eventually you want a steady job that will put food on the table and cold beer in the frig. Hope this helps. Take care.

Last edited:
Forrest, I met a couple of Customs pilots when I was in OKC in August, I tried to email them using their first/last names and then @dhs.gov is that the correct address or are you guy at treas.us.gov or what address can I email these guys at?

You generally work a 5 day 40-50 hour work week. We conduct air patrols, surveillances, air-to-air intercepts (most are part of our training), and lots of general flying and training (checkrides and proffenciey). We get to shoot every quarter (hand guns and rifles/shotguns). You can really make the job fun and interesting or just sit around and let things happen. There is not a set schedule like the airlines. Sometimes we are definetly busy. We also det out for various missions.

Latest resources

Back