• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

U.S. Customs Aviation

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
As I stated eariler, standby to wait. Actually, I must say that dealing with the DEU up in Ft. Snelling has been very nice. Very responsive and friendly. I figure on hearing about a potential interview end of FEB/beginning of MAR.

Does anyone know about the rumor of BICE getting the mighty, mighty Dash? Will they go to the dome units or will the interdiction guys get them?

I flew for customs for ten years 1988 - 1998. I quit as soon as the opportunity presented itself - the same as about a third of the rest of the pilots did in the late 90's.

From what I hear from the guys that are still there, is that they still spend a lot of time away from home TDY. That's what made most of us quit years ago. We were being sent to Mexico, Panama and South America for up to four months a year - for thirty days at a time. Now, I hear, the foreign stuff has slowed, but domestic TDY is heavy. Plan for a lot of time at the DC air branch at DCA. You can hear them on ATC using call sign "Omaha". I guess they chase Cessna's, etc. out of P-56...

The pay was okay, but the overtime rules are inane and stupid - that is to say they are governmental.

As I recall, I flew about 200 hours, or so, per year... the rest of the time is spent doing busywork - collateral duties, standing by as part of the Blackhawk crew in nomex, putting up with the fitness program, etc..

There were a number of accidents - mostly caused by ineptness. A branch chief ran a Cessna 210 out of gas over the gulf - they fished him out after a swim. A Blackhawk hit the ocean off of Puerto Rico and a friend of mine never got out (George Saenz) - that was in the early 90's. Another in Tucson (where I was) a guy was racing the Citation for the runway at Davis-Monthan in a customs Cessna 404 with the throttles idled and the mixtures full rich - he fouled the plugs so badly that he ran out of airspeed, altitude and ideas on a quarter-mile final and wiped the airplane out.

If anybody would like answers to anything about customs, I'd be happy to answer.

--Phil Sasak ([email protected])

ICE Scores

Just answered the knock at the door -- got my score. I'll put myself out there: 91 for Airplane Pilot GS-11, and an IQ Rating for Aircraft Pilot w/ the explanation that I'm not qualified for such since I'm not licensed in choppers. This score was w/out a mil preference -- all civilian fixed wing. I also received a letter stating that I'm to notify them of my ability to RFD by 17Feb05. Inability to do so is declining further consideration. Well, who else got scores?

Two guys from my squadron got their scores today. One got 101 and the other 102. The highest I've seen. I wonder what the cutting score will be.

Got mine also

Got my Points,

Same as LT about the IQ for rotor wing stuff and the reply card.

102 points fixed wing.

Military and some civilian

Kid

Any idea when interviews may be and what the interviews are like.

What type of plane do you fly for the interview and what maneuvers do we need to do. Also what type of questions are asked? Are there systems, FAR's, or just 'get to know you' type questions?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back