Votes: 260 48.3%
  • Military (active, guard, or reserve)

Votes: 32 5.9%
  • non-flying job

Votes: 102 19.0%
  • still out of work

Votes: 144 26.8%

• Total voters
After 15 years working maintenance from Rosenbalm, Rich Intl, TWA, Piedmont, Swissair, etc, etc... I got tired of all the lay-offs and recalls. I figured I'd try this piloting thing out. Ha! Since I've hung up the toolbox keys, I've had more fun but job searching is constant..... and I'm way down the ladder from you experienced guys. I'm not sure where I'm going to end up, but I hope it works out somehow.

I tried different companies, different types of flying and at the end i got a great job at the fiancial industry, pays good money and i can spend quality time with my wife and friends. i love aviation and i'll keep flying for fun.
Good luck to everyone

Started rehabing houses a few months before furlough in May. Sold the first one yesterday. Profit almost as much as a year on the line. Second one will be done in a few weeks. It can be dirty work sometimes, but, nothing beats working for yourself (or your wife, in my case).

Home Building

Rudderdog,

I was laid off in winter of 2003 and started building homes for a living. I have made more money in the last two years than in all my 15 as a professional pilot. At this point it would be hard to go back. Are you planning to return to flying?

Skyline

Skyline said:
Rudderdog,

Are you planning to return to flying?

Skyline

Tough question! Right now I have recall rights at AA and ATA. Also, I was scheduled to be in the next Polar class. Which could have worked well with the 2 weeks off in a row. It was cancelled though due to the strike. So for now, I'm busting my ass on two houses trying to make enough bank to put off the flying gigs for a long while. Hopefully this will snowball and I can soon have a reality show to find a good apprentice.

Furloughed from UAL took a B727 job at TransMeridian which worked out well for about 2.5 years, got a free DC-9 type before they went CHAP7. I am now looking again!

4 airlines and counting!

Ted.........

Welcome to the Club!
It most likely will not be your last as you rightyly surmise. I've done 6 so far and decided self-employed contrator was the best for me. So far, it's worked out fine and I only work when I want to. However, there are a few downsides.......
Good luck in whatever you decide!

b757driver said:
Welcome to the Club!
It most likely will not be your last as you rightyly surmise. I've done 6 so far and decided self-employed contrator was the best for me. So far, it's worked out fine and I only work when I want to. However, there are a few downsides.......
Good luck in whatever you decide!

How did you go about the "self-employed" contractor route?

b757driver

b757driver, TED pilot

I thought you were flying overseas these days? I am a self-employed contractor as well. It depends on the state that you live in but I build homes for myself and keep them as rentals. Others do the same and sell them upon completion. The rules are vague here in WA state but you can do these things without a contractors license so long as you can claim to have build the home with the "intent" to live there.

Skyline

Latest resources

Back