• Military (active, guard, or reserve)

Votes: 32 5.9%
  • non-flying job

Votes: 102 19.0%
  • still out of work

Votes: 144 26.8%

• Total voters

Starlizard

Poll for furloughees. What type of work have you found?

1) hired by another airline, or other flying job
2) gone back to the military
3) non-flying work
4) living at home with mom and dad collecting unemployment

If going back to the military was an option, I think that's the choice I would make, but it's not an option. I'm still looking for another flying job.

#4 - well, not exactly - living @ home with VERY UNDERSTANDING wife supporting me as the federal government keeps extending my unemployment benefits!

Did 737 type rating earlier this year with WIA funds. Passsed with flying colors, applied to targeted airlines/corporations, even non-flying jobs - absolutely no hits on OVER A YEAR. Have THREE ICAO ATPs with THREE jet type ratings but no jobs - not even an "equal opportunity" interview. Now that would be really nice. And they tell me it's a wonderful life. Really? More like a crap shoot!!

I work on my dad's farm.

Just got off the tractor (no sh!t).

The work's a lot harder, the pay's a lot less, but I feel cleaner at the end of the day.

Hag

Hey Hagar, do you have any openings on that farm?

I've got lots of experience driving pieces of tin and handling lots of S**T!! Should be an ideal fit.......

Good luck to you.

But it's a long way from 767's in Hawaii to Navajos in Alaska. But at least it's a job!

HAL

HAL,

Try B737s back to flight instructing on C172s for size! Did that 10 years ago and this time around, can't even find that. Whoever said that furloughs and layoffs are "charater building" or "an opportunity for reassessing your life and finding new things" clearly has NEVER been furloughed/laid off!!!!

I can tell you it does absolutely NOTHING for either of these....

From someone who knows only too well..(5th layoff in 12 years with no golden egg......)

b757driver said:
HAL,

Try B737s back to flight instructing on C172s for size! Did that 10 years ago and this time around, can't even find that. Whoever said that furloughs and layoffs are "charater building" or "an opportunity for reassessing your life and finding new things" clearly has NEVER been furloughed/laid off!!!!

I can tell you it does absolutely NOTHING for either of these....

From someone who knows only too well..(5th layoff in 12 years with no golden egg......)

b757driver,

I was teaching in 172's for a few months before the Navajo job came along. I know what you mean!

And you're right - the 'character building' statements are just people rationalizing their way through other people's pain. It sucks!

HAL

I'm surprised there are so few back in the military. I'm currently sucking off of the government teat in the reserves. SSDD, but it pays the bills.

Latest resources

Back