• Military (active, guard, or reserve)

Votes: 32 5.9%
  • non-flying job

Votes: 102 19.0%
  • still out of work

Votes: 144 26.8%

• Total voters
Ted.........

Easy, go work for any number of crew leasing agencies who hire out your services to airline clients on either short-term or long-term contracts. It's all tax-free (you are responsible for everything since salary or fee, as they call it, is always gross. There are NO deductions of any kind, at least not where I am), paid in USDs plus daily per diem.
The agencies include Parc, Direct Personnel, Rishworth & Airborne, all of them are overseas companies.
It's worked for me for almost 2 years and I've gotten a free 747 type out of it plus the opportunity to go places you would not normally. Mind you, some places you would never want to go back to. Be prepared for long time away from home initially, so if this does not appeal, then it's probably not for you. Having said that, it sure beats unemployment and I have come across plenty of furloughed/laid off US and Canadian pilots in my outfit.
I'm going home next month, 1 month's vacation then on another contract for 2 months with a big fat bonus, lol!
If you want more details, PM me.

747driver - currently based ASI (Ascencion Island, S. Atlantic. If you don't know where that is, look it up in the Atlas. Clue: similar to the Azores, only further S!!)

Ted/Skyline:

Lest anyone be confused, my self-employed contractor is as in self-employed pilot, independent contractor, not as in the building trade!
The definition comes from the fact that my fee comes from the agency but I wear a certain uniform and end up flying for a bunch of different airlines. Since I have been on the 747, I have flown both freight only and pax for no less than 3 airlines - all in the last 4 months! How's that for variety?

Skyline said:
B757Driver,

Are your initials MB and do you have a southern accent?

Skyline

Nope, I'm not Mark Brasfield and my accent has been called many things but never southern!:) More like mid-Atlantic.........

B757driver:
Thanks for filling us all in on the contract options. Let me ask this, during your time flying contract, what is the longest time you have been unemployed, i.e. between contracts? Also, on the average, what do you take home including perdiem? Thanks in advance.

P.S. BTW what is the website for airborne? I have tried various combinations, but no luck in finding the airborne website. Also did you register with all of them or one particular one that is giving you all the work. thanks again.

Xtwapilot

Frontier, the last I had heard.

Skyline said:
Do you know where MB ended up?

Skyline
:beer:

xtwapilot said:
B757driver:
Thanks for filling us all in on the contract options. Let me ask this, during your time flying contract, what is the longest time you have been unemployed, i.e. between contracts? Also, on the average, what do you take home including perdiem? Thanks in advance.

P.S. BTW what is the website for airborne? I have tried various combinations, but no luck in finding the airborne website. Also did you register with all of them or one particular one that is giving you all the work. thanks again.

Xtwapilot

I have been in continuous employment ever since I left the US to work overseas! The type of work I do is called ACMI (Aircraft, Crew, Mx & Insurance) and the company I work for is the largest in the business.
Basically, I am employed by a crew leasing agency who contracts me to an ACMI airline. They, then in turn, get various contracts for periods ranging from 4 weeks to 4 years. In the almost 2 years I have been there, I have flown the 757 and the 767ETOPs from various bases worldwide and late last year the company wanted a bunch of new 747 drivers. So....they paid us to go get a 747 type rating. No previous time on type but does that really matter. Maybe in the US but not elsewhere.
The only long-term unemployment I had was after my last 121 company went belly up. Despite a brand new type rating (courtesy of the WIA) plus time in that type and currency on two types, could not even get an interview stateside - I was not "competitive" enough, ha, ha!! Apparently, I'm holding my own flying international 747s globally.....After 2 UB extensions, I finally ran out of money (and ideas) and it was around this time that I got this job. Was unemployed in the US for around 16 months, never anywhere else. Guess that speaks volumes.
Pay here is OK and is all in USDs with commercial tkts to/from home plus hotel/apartments and breakfast. Apart from that, no bennies. Oh, you can work as much or as little as you want before you take a break. Not may companies do that. I'm taking Nov off then back for 2 months for a special project.
I could have applied to the likes of Kalitta or Southern or Evergreen but I ALREADY earn 2-3 times more a month than what they would pay me and then I would also have deductions on top of that!
Not sure whether Airborne has a website or not. I don't think they will be doing any more hiring (training bottleneck) until the new year anyway. The other agency is www.directpersonnel.com . I used only one and had friends already working at the airline. That gave me a heads up on what it was like before I even got here. Also, try a search on the British www.pprune.com for ACMI work and agencies in Europe. You should find plenty of info - good and bad there. Hope that answers yr questions. Good luck!

Latest resources

Back