Twin engine down near downtown ATL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
TonyC said:
In the same way, I think some people attempt to use tidbits of the uniquely British vocabulary in a vain attempt to make themselves seem more intelligent than they really are.

Did you fall for it? :)
No, I did not. :)

ATL2CDG said:
Actually, I was born in Oak Ridge, TN, but spent most of my adolescence in Knoxville. I prefer to use terms such as "whilst" and spellings such as "colour" because they are grammatically correct. Noah Webster and his American "dictionary" which is the basis of "American English" was rife with errors because he was an illiterate fool with too much time on his hands. Only in the U.S. have we gone against the Queen's English and truly butchered the English language with things like "center" (centre), "color" (colour) and "honor" (honour).

That being said, I don't always conform to the Queen's English... especially when overly tired or slightly intoxicated, but nonetheless, I'd rather be thought of a European or Australian based upon my use of proper terminology and spelling than continue to butcher the language as a Noah Webster so fondly set on the path all Americans.

That being said, "Cheerio, love!"
ATL, there is no reason to spell that way. "American English" is basically a separate language to "International English." We spell words correctly here in the US, the Euros and Australians speak a different version of the language and both spell and prounounce differently. There is nothing wrong with using the American language. Do you talk with a fake British accent, too?

Last edited:
TonyC said:
Have you ever noticed how so many of those television advertisement sales "shows" star pitchmen (and women) with British (or Scottish or Irish or some other -ish) accents? I think it's because they've done some marketing studies that indicate that the masses of Americans attach more credibility (if only subconsciously) to people with those accents. In other words, if some Brit says it, it must be true - - I'll buy one of those. If you can fake a good British accent, your sales will improve.

In the same way, I think some people attempt to use tidbits of the uniquely British vocabulary in a vain attempt to make themselves seem more intelligent than they really are.

Did you fall for it? :)
I must be in the minority because there is NO way I'm buying one of those yellow vacuums from that homosexual Swede!!

Mr. Cole said:
She was speaking English, even if it was unintelligible to the layman. In fact it isn't just what you call Ebonics that makes it harder to understand, but because it happens to be spoken in combination with a Southern accent. There are a lot of people who can't understand many Southerners period, white or black. As an aside, did you know that Southern accents are derived from African dialects and were passed from the slaves to whites?
Okay then, so maybe that wasn't ebonics, but it wasn't exactly what I would call English. Southern accent? Nope, I don't think a Southern accent had anything to do with the fact that her "English" language was virtually incomprehensible.

Now don't get upset and call me a racist... I also hate white trash rednecks who can't speak proper English.

I don't think you're a racist, just that you have little if any exposure to what to many may sounds like a different language. But I don't think I said anywhere in my post that the issue was entirely due to her accent. However, my guestion is whether you refer to the unintelligible dialog of white trash rednecks as something other than English?

Dave

jbDC9 said:
Okay then, so maybe that wasn't ebonics, but it wasn't exactly what I would call English. Southern accent? Nope, I don't think a Southern accent had anything to do with the fact that her "English" language was virtually incomprehensible.

Now don't get upset and call me a racist... I also hate white trash rednecks who can't speak proper English.

TonyC said:

Not quite the case for me, Tony, but very good observation, nonetheless.

A Passenger said:
ATL, there is no reason to spell that way. "American English" is basically a separate language to "International English." We spell words correctly here in the US, the Euros and Australians speak a different version of the language and both spell and prounounce differently.

There's no prohibition against it, either. Unless I'm in a university classroom, there really isn't a guide by which to measure American English. From carelessly typed up signs in stores "Where Every Word Is Capitalised" to piss-poor puncuation and spelling, everyday Americana is rife with poor grammar and a lack of knowledge about the English language. Unlike numerous other countries throughout the world, the U.S. has no government body charged with "maintaining" the national langauge; in fact, the United States does not have an official language. As such, we are free to butcher the language or revert to another form thereof, such as the Queen's English, with little concern. Were I to find myself in a creative writing course at university, then I would, of course, consult the professor about his/her opinions on the subject and modify my work accordingly.

There is nothing wrong with using the American language.

I never said there was anything wrong with speaking or writing in American English; it's just something I choose not to do from time to time. Language, in both written and oral form, is a means of self-expression and is an important tool in the conveyance of ideas. Granted, I've been reading several works by British authors as of late, so I've been exposed to more British English than American English in the written form. The gods know that when I move back into American literature, I'll start to type/write in American English again. In any case, why are you making such a big deal out of it? Does the form of the English language that I choose to use in any way diminish the content or context of my posts?

Do you talk with a fake British accent, too?

Not often, no. But I do recall one flight a few years ago when coming back to Atlanta from Worcester, Mass. I was quite bored and in a bit of a thespian mood, so I announced to the guys up from that I would be conducting the entirety of flight, announcements and all, in a British accent. The guys didn't think I could pull it off, but sure enough, from the first passenger on to the last passenger off, I slung around a quite convincing cockney accent. I even topped of the delivery of the drinks to the passengers with an enthusiastic "Cheers!" Fortunately, no one went so far as to ask from what part of England I came ("Uhhhh, London? Yeah, London. What part? Uhhhh, south London.") I used to be able to do it quite well, but I've not hung around Ailerongirl in quite some time, so I'm out of practise.

Anyway, "that's all he wrote... "

ATL2CDG said:
From carelessly typed up signs in stores "Where Every Word Is Capitalised" to piss-poor puncuation and spelling, everyday Americana is rife with poor grammar and a lack of knowledge about the English language.
Is that the British spelling of "punctuation"?

The word you've entered isn't in the dictionary. Click on a spelling suggestion below or try again using the search box to the right.

Suggestions for puncuation:

1. pincushion
2. punctuation
3. punctation
4. punctuator
5. punctuations
6. punctuate
7. punctuates
8. punctually
9. punition
10. punctual
11. percussion

ATL2CDG said:
Does the form of the English language that I choose to use in any way diminish the content or context of my posts?
As a matter of fact, yes. For the reasons stated in posts above, putting on the air of intelligence just makes you look ridiculous. It raises suspicion about everything you say. If the ideas you espouse are unworthy of standing on their own, attempting to bolster them with some fake accent only draws closer attention and more careful scrutiny to them. Rather than making you look or seem more intelligent, it only makes you look silly.

Oh, and by the way . . . around here it's "capitalized" with a zee (not a zed), not an ess. Unless, of course, you're Ailerongirl. :)

Now . . . since you brought her into the discussion . . .

I know Ailerongirl. Ailerongirl is a friend of mine. And you're no Ailerongirl.

Last edited:
ATL2CDG said:
Yes. I believe he was referring to the poor, down-trodden, welfare-mooching, uneducated, civicly-disinterested black population that not only makes up the majority of the City's citizenry, but also controls the corrupt government, major local broadcast networks and a plethora of small businesses.
QUOTE]

Such a brave man you are. Since you used to work for ASA, why don't you stop by the "Bada Bing Lounge" below D26 and spit out these comments to some of your former coworkers? I'd love to see their response.

TonyC said:
Is that the British spelling of "punctuation"?

D@mn. I type a post half drunk at 0300 without using the d@mn spellchecker and I get reamed by TonyC. That's not the least bit surprising, now is it?

I know Ailerongirl. Ailerongirl is a friend of mine. And you're no Ailerongirl.

Quite right. I've never claimed to be Ailerongirl; I could never match her physical beauty, social graces or intellectual prowess. I'm just a fat-arsed American with no sense of self-identity and rabid passion to p!ss people off.

Such a brave man you are. Since you used to work for ASA, why don't you stop by the "Bada Bing Lounge" below D26 and spit out these comments to some of your former coworkers? I'd love to see their response.

Sorry, but I don't play with regional boys and girls anymore. Just kidding.

Actually, a good portion of the ASA ramp personnel are the epitomy of what I dispise about Atlanta. Many are lazy, unmotivated, drug-using and uneducated with no sense of duty to one's work. Granted, there are people like Wally and others that bust there arse to make the company look good, but given that ASA pays minimun wage, more or less, one can't quite expect passionate, professional people to fill the ranks. In any case, just I would not foolishly walk into a country-western bar and yell, "NASCAR sucks!", I don't think I'll be visiting your famed "Bada Bing Lounge" anytime soon to espouse my social views.

Doesn't it seem like the French have, like, different word for everything? The Brits don't even know what side of the road on which to drive. What's with that? Is Alierongirl really hot, or just sort of hot?

These are the real issues...

Latest resources

Back