Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ATL2CDG said:
I hate ATL. I really, really do.

Bad news. Horrible customer service. Terrible traffic. P!ss-poor entertainment. Sucky weather. Corrupt government.

I wish I could move to... well, he!!, anywhere. I'd go back to Knoxville if my mother wasn't still there.
There's several hundred of us in DFW who know exactly what you mean!

Mr. Cole said:
Ok, I admit that was funny.

Originally Posted by rumpletumbler
http://media.ebaumsworld.com/boogotshot.mp3
Whoa, that was funny, but... what the hell language was that? It barely even resembled English; I think that's the best (worst?) example of Ebonics I've ever heard. It's pretty sad that that's supposed to be English yet is barely even recognizable.

And what's up with all these crashes anyway? The CRJ, 747 in Halifax, now a J-31, plus several Barons going in... I probably ought not fly Flightsim 2004, I might crash it...

This thread reminded me of the 737 that went down in the Potomac river north of DCA around 1982. Channel 7 reported that the 737 was not able to develop enough "traction" due to prevailing icing conditions to get adequate speed for takeoff.

jbDC9 said:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cole
Ok, I admit that was funny.

Originally Posted by rumpletumbler
http://media.ebaumsworld.com/boogotshot.mp3
Whoa, that was funny, but... what the hell language was that? It barely even resembled English; I think that's the best (worst?) example of Ebonics I've ever heard. It's pretty sad that that's supposed to be English yet is barely even recognizable.
I understood what she was saying . . .

hmmmm . . . should I be worried? :eek:

Yeah the P58 barron has the optional ejection seat! FOX must have thought the p58 was an old fighter plane!

JB,

She was speaking English, even if it was unintelligible to the layman. In fact it isn't just what you call Ebonics that makes it harder to understand, but because it happens to be spoken in combination with a Southern accent. There are a lot of people who can't understand many Southerners period, white or black. As an aside, did you know that Southern accents are derived from African dialects and were passed from the slaves to whites?

Dave
jbDC9 said:

And what's up with all these crashes anyway? The CRJ, 747 in Halifax, now a J-31, plus several Barons going in... I probably ought not fly Flightsim 2004, I might crash it...

Originally posted by ATL2CDG
Whilst I appreciate your comments and certainly understand your perspective. . . . . . . in a quite off-colour manner . . . . . .
I can tell from his post that ATL2CDG is not from Atlanta or Knoxville, in fact, he's not even American. His use of "whilst" and "colour" mean that he's either European or Australian.

Last edited:
A Passenger said:
I can tell from his post that ATL2CDG is not from Atlanta or Knoxville, in fact, he's not even American. His use of "whilst" and "colour" mean that he's either European or Australian.

Actually, I was born in Oak Ridge, TN, but spent most of my adolescence in Knoxville. I prefer to use terms such as "whilst" and spellings such as "colour" because they are grammatically correct. Noah Webster and his American "dictionary" which is the basis of "American English" was rife with errors because he was an illiterate fool with too much time on his hands. Only in the U.S. have we gone against the Queen's English and truly butchered the English language with things like "center" (centre), "color" (colour) and "honor" (honour).

That being said, I don't always conform to the Queen's English... especially when overly tired or slightly intoxicated, but nonetheless, I'd rather be thought of a European or Australian based upon my use of proper terminology and spelling than continue to butcher the language as a Noah Webster so fondly set on the path all Americans.

That being said, "Cheerio, love!"

A Passenger said:
Have you ever noticed how so many of those television advertisement sales "shows" star pitchmen (and women) with British (or Scottish or Irish or some other -ish) accents? I think it's because they've done some marketing studies that indicate that the masses of Americans attach more credibility (if only subconsciously) to people with those accents. In other words, if some Brit says it, it must be true - - I'll buy one of those. If you can fake a good British accent, your sales will improve.

In the same way, I think some people attempt to use tidbits of the uniquely British vocabulary in a vain attempt to make themselves seem more intelligent than they really are.

Did you fall for it? :)

Latest resources

Back