• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

TWA v. ALPA Suit Going To Trial

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Solve the problems the PCL way....PFT.....yup....true alpa supporter. Anything he can do to Advance HIS career.....

Well since ALPA has already lost one suit brough by pilots this year (United) it will be interesting to see how this plays out. If memory serves me correct ALPA paid 44M in the last lawsuit. Anyone have any idea how much cash/assets they claim?

Anyone have any idea how much cash/assets they claim?

The big question is 'how much in assets did they move offshore?'. Several years ago (probably before the suit was filed) there was a transfer of cash.

Maybe the ALPA counsel will be as concerned about hiding assets as they were about obstruction of justice and subornation of perjury.

"Everybody on the whole cell block was dancin' to the Jailhouse Rock!"

TC

All I know is that the STL airport was better off with BK TWA serving it as a hub with 60 gates and Int'l service than with AA and 8 gates connecting to it's other hubs in ORD, JFK (via Eagle), LAX, MIA, etc.

What a waste that airport has become. Failed expectations indeed.

In 2001, Don Carty described the STL as the "Crown Jewel" of the merger. What a putz.

Good thing JetBlue is coming in.

Last edited:
Did not the TWA MEC agree to the conditions?
If you'll recall the bankruptcy judge told the TWA MEC we had to either give up our right to the Allegheny-Mohawk protections or he would abdicate our entire contract. He was wrong but we didnt't know that at the time. We thought our ALPA attorney, Roland Wilder, worked for us but it turned out he followed orders from Duane Woerth. He advised us to give up the protections.
So yes, we did agree to it but only with intentionally poor legal advice.

So what would've been so bad about letting an arbitrator decide the AA-TWA seniority integration? Afraid of something? I wasn't.

The TWA guys back then and the former TWA guys now are basically incapable understanding the reality of dealing with AMR (not APA).

Here is my favorite quote:

"Here's to hoping TWA guys win! It should have been a relative seniority integration. You can't say any airline is going to go out of business until they actually do. "

At the time of the buy out, most TWA guys were chanting the relative seniority song. What they failed completely to understand was they weren't the first carrrier AA had bought, and the AA pilots knew, or at least predicted 99% accuracy, was that the TWA system was going to be decimated.

If the APA pilots hadn't experienced the AirCal integration. It's highly likely the TWA pilots would have been gotten relative seniority. They didn't because with AirCal, and with Reno later, AA eliminated nearly all of that mainline flying or gave it to Eagle.

TWA was going to molded to fit AMR. The first to go was Riyadh, Cairo, Tel Aviv. The rest was going to go, including places like STL-London. TWA also had a major short haul operation of which the AA pilots lost years earlier to Eagle. STL had 5 flights a day to places like Moline, BNA, DSM, SGF ect. All that flying was going "bye bye", 100% gauranteed, yet the TWA guys walked into the AA jail cell oblivious to what was coming. "Give us relative seniority" they said.

APA formed an agreement that made STL a little TWA "ghetto", and if AA hadn't gone much farther in cutting more than even APA expected, it would have been a nice little protected status. Even after 9/11, if STL still had a couple of hundred flights a day, the TWA FO's would have upgraded faster than nAAtive FO's due to the STL retirement protections.

Little remains of the TWA route system. STL has dropped down to less than 80 flights a day. They have 430 original TWA Captains based there when it really only would support a 75 pilot AA crewbase. What do these guys do? They fly out of STL and into the original AA system. typical for the last 5 years, the typical AA bidsheet out of STL will be 75 hours, of which 15 hours or less flys old TWA flying. One might say "but AA guys fly through STL!", B.S., I also checked that, and AA guys fly into STL less than before the buyout. DFW-TUL/TUS/SAN/MIA/SEA, MIA-DEN/BOS/LAX/ORD ect, ect was all AA flying now flown by TWA guys.

End result is the TWA flying is gone, and the TWA guys are bitter that they couldn't slide right into an AA left flying DFW-ABQ after their STL-DSM flight disappeared. Many guys did and killed the AA narrowbody updgrades and is a factor why it's been at the 20 year point for awhile.

Some guys say, wait until it happens to me. If AA gets bought and I'm treated the same as a TWA guys, I will consider myself the luckiest guy in the world seniority speaking (business skill of the buyer is another story).

Last edited:
I am no expert in this either but from what Ive heard, your statement is only a small part of the equation. The problem reportedly is ALPA failed to represent TWA in a fair manner. ALPA, TWAs bargaining agent, was courting APA to join ALPA at the same time they were supposed to be acting on behalf of TWA. They failed to disclose their dealings with APA and there might be some stinky garbage in terms of backroom deals that shafted the TWA guys. Not necessarily one of ALPAs bright spots.

The real problem with what you have above is that it is missing important info.

ALPA had been trying to get APA to rejoin ALPA, but that has ended and been put to bed well before the buyout of TWA by American.

APA advised the TWA MEC that if they did not waive their merger protection, APA would not let the deal grow thru (there merger protection have the APA the ability to kill the deal).

The TWA MEC was advised by ALPA, independant legal counsel, AA laywers, TWA lawyers, inndependant financial advisors in the BK process, and the court that failure to waive their merger protection would kill the merger as planned and all TWA employees would be terminated with the liquidation.

The TWA pilot union rules (not ALPA rules) allowed the MEC to approve such waivers without the vote of the pilot group.

The TWA MEC voted to waive thier CBA merger protection to preseves as many jobs as possible. Which resulted in all TWA pilots being integreated into the AA seniorility list It was not very fair, but it was not a total staple either.

The bottom line is that the TWA MEC received valid and appropriate advise on the status of the merger and waiving of thier merger protection from all parties. They made the best decision they could have. The problem is that they want some one to pay for thier bad/good decision. Had they not waived the merger protection, they would have all lost thier jobs, and AA would most likely have gotten TWA's assets anyway. The waiver of thier merger protection preserved thier jobs (for a while), but the events of the industry and 9/11 caused former TWA pilots to bear the brunt of the downsizing at AA.

I feel that even if it goes to court, the former TWA pilost will lose. Then, even if ALPA loses, the cost of any settlement will be just a few $$$ to each pilot and ALPA's insurance will pay for that.

Just my opinion.......

FNG

So what would've been so bad about letting an arbitrator decide the AA-TWA seniority integration? Afraid of something? I wasn't.

I'm not surprised you weren't afraid of an arbitration. Considering that ALPA had ZERO leverage (for good reason BTW), it's obvious that anything an arbitrator would decide would be better than what was the logical and justified outcome, given AA's history of acquiring other airlines.

Yes, we were afraid of something. Afraid that the usual AA practice of buying an airline, then shutting it down and diluting our seniority system was going to come true . . . yet again.

And it did, as easily predicted.

At the time I thought the integration was fair. However now, it's clear to me that TWA should have been stapled altogether considering that any size and value added to AA was gone years ago.

BTW, my sympathies for getting caught in two botched acquisitions/mergers. That's more than anyone one man should have to endure.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back