• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

TWA recall rights at AA ??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Unfortunately, the bad blood will exist between AA and TWA pilots until the final TWA pilot retires (from the left seat of a 777 or whatever the big airplane is at that time...).

Might as well get comfortable. ;) TC

Flyby,

When you understand what we're talking about, then you can post. If you been through it then you know how much it suck. That's life. I'm lucky, Ive got a job at a good, actually better, airline. Alot of my fellow TWA'ers aren't so lucky.

AA717,

You're fenced off of the 777 forever. PM me and let me know if you plan on going back to AA.

CLAMBAKE

I thought all of the fences went away when the most junior AA F/O at the time upgrades to Cpt. on the 777?? Wasn't his name B.D. White or something?

I forgot about B.D. White. I always thought it must suck being singled out like that. It was more a joke than fact about the fences.

How's it going for you? Have you found a job worth not going back for?

CLAMBAKE

AA717driver said:
Unfortunately, the bad blood will exist between AA and TWA pilots until the final TWA pilot retires (from the left seat of a 777 or whatever the big airplane is at that time...).

Might as well get comfortable. ;) TC

Not with me, I thouroughly enjoyed working with "youse guys!"

TC, you'd be crazy to leave a G-5 job to come back here, though!

pkober said:
I forgot about B.D. White. I always thought it must suck being singled out like that. It was more a joke than fact about the fences.

How's it going for you? Have you found a job worth not going back for?

CLAMBAKE

I'll never say never, but I couldn't be happier at JetBlue.:D

Clambake--Is B.D. White the trigger for the 777 or is it the bottom guy the day the deal was announced? So much crap. So little grey matter... ;)

aa73--It's about W2. A lot of GV jobs pay better than AA. This one doesn't and will take 10 years or so to match current S80 CA pay. A couple of my friends are now CA's at JB. A couple are getting close at AirTran. They would be silly to consider coming back.

My situation is different than just about everyone else here (except for AAslag and XTW). We are relatively close to recall (Mar. '04 furlough--500 to 600 numbers out) and relatively close (three or four years) to getting reinstated as CA on the S80 in STL. A lot of those posting here are '96 hires or later and will go back without reinstatement rights as a CA or even a hope of upgrading inside the fence for 10 years or so (they have around 500-600 TWA guys who have to retire first). AND, they will go back at less than 12 year pay.

Yes, those in my seniority group got the worst hosing of all--losing a CA seat and being on the street in a 12 month span. But we have the most to return for--especially if the age 60 rule is changed.

But anything could change the conditions for all of us. AA takes a pay cut to remain competitive with the Ch. 11 veterans. Age 60 stays. The A plan goes away with a lousy replacement and no credit for "time served". Syria decides to use some of the WMD Saddam stored there. Oil goes to $100/barrel.

Once again, this career is a crap shoot and we have to make life-altering decisions with a couple of pixels of the 'big picture'. TC

Yes, those in my seniority group got the worst hosing of all--losing a CA seat and being on the street in a 12 month span.

Loosing an airline and a career is indeed bad hosing.

Been there, done that:

When Tower Air went out of business we all started from scratch.
Some of us with AA, some with other majors and some with minors.
(Same with the Midway guys, that place folded just a few days after 9/11)

As bad as it may feel being an ex-TWA captain and loosing the big paycheck, the status, the seniority, etc, at least, if nothing else, you got a number with another major.

Most of us in the same boat did not.

9/11 was a really bad deal for the victims of the attacks.
For the secondary victims, like the airline employees, it was a bum deal.
Sh!t happens, bad luck, but the AA pilots did not run TWA into the ground, nor did they smoke crack in the mosque, hi-jack planes and fly 'em into buildings and ruining the US econonmy for the next 5 years.

We are all in the same boat (or on the same street.)

Lets hope there is light at the end of the tunnel, but with the fuel prices on the way up, it may be a train.

Got a number with another major...which one?
Oh, I get it (snicker) you mean aa. Is aa still a major... I thought it was now just a punchline.
Ya, hang on to that aa number, it'll come in real handy.

Latest resources

Back