Twa 800

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ArcticFlier said:
If I remember right, the investigation concluded that it was a short in a wiring harness in the center fuel tank. How many amps would be involved and would it be enough to ignite kerosene fumes?
You should look for CNN's excellent special (I watched it a few nights ago). The issue (conspiracy theories notwithstanding) has to do with bundled wires and compromised insulation -- such that multiple insulation failures in the bundled wires can transfer energy from wire to wire; this can result in a high-energy discharge through a fuel sensor.

The potential exists on many airplanes. The NTSB wants the FAA to mandate installation of nitrogen systems.

Really -- you should try to find the CNN program. It's comprehensive.

edit to add: Papa Fox!, thanks for reminding us. Here's a Wiki note about Al Haynes in recent years:
In 1997, his oldest son died after a motorcycle accident, and his wife died in 1999. His daughter Laurie gained media attention in 2001 when she was diagnosed with aplastic anemia. By 2003, her disease was in an advanced stage and she required a bone marrow transplant. Because his daughter's insurance would not cover the operation, Al Haynes needed help from the Air Line Pilots Association, which donated money and brought the Haynes' monetary plight to light. Many survivors of Flight 232 found out about the case and they also helped raise money. Eventually, his daughter was able to get the transplant.

Last edited:
kingsize said:
Anyways, I back my government 100%. It doesn't lie to the people... Whatever it does, it does for a reason.
Thats funny right there. New sig quote for me!

81Horse said:
You should look for CNN's excellent special (I watched it a few nights ago). The issue (conspiracy theories notwithstanding) has to do with bundled wires and compromised insulation -- such that multiple insulation failures in the bundled wires can transfer energy from wire to wire; this can result in a high-energy discharge through a fuel sensor.

The potential exists on many airplanes. The NTSB wants the FAA to mandate installation of nitrogen systems.

Really -- you should try to find the CNN program. It's comprehensive.

I wasn't trying to a be a black helicopter type, as you suggest..................just wanted some clarification.

AF :cool:

And I believe CNN...............riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. I don't believe most media outlets, especially when it comes to aviation, and CNN is at the bottom of the believability list regarding just about anything (unless we're talking about how great liberalism is, according to them), but I'll look for it, as I try to keep an open mind.

Last edited:
MAN why does it have to be a "black" project, can it be a something other than a secret little black thing..... Always gotta be a black thing when it is bad...hahahah JK

Let's send this one to the Mythbusters! They've blown up an old airplane out at Mojave in an explosive decompression demonstration. Let's have 'em put some fuel in a tank, heat it up a bit, and short a fuel pump wiring bundle......

Prop2Jet said:
MAN why does it have to be a "black" project, can it be a something other than a secret little black thing..... Always gotta be a black thing when it is bad...hahahah JK
It's a conspiracy, don't believe it? Just ask yourself, why do they always keep the black olives in the can?

bocefus said:
That black program did not explode in front of the witnesses nor was it subjected to public scrutiny. Hell, even today the hardware from that program is not as accessible as the TWA-800 wreckage.

That's not what you said. You said that a secret could not be kept, and that two people knowing about it was one too many. So how many people knew that the F-117 was in squadron service for over 10 years? How many pilots, crew chiefs, mechanics, tower controllers, etc? Somehow I bet it was more than 2.

And as far as public scrutiny, why were all the eyewitness reports from former military pilots ignored? Yes I will certain;y agree that most "eyewitnesses" are worthless, but a professional pilot, and a former military one at that, makes a pretty good witness for an aircraft explosion.

ArcticFlier said:
I wasn't trying to a be a black helicopter type, as you suggest..................just wanted some clarification.

AF :cool:

And I believe CNN...............riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. I don't believe most media outlets, especially when it comes to aviation, and CNN is at the bottom of the believability list regarding just about anything (unless we're talking about how great liberalism is, according to them), but I'll look for it, as I try to keep an open mind.

Im sure you have tons of evidence to prove your theory about CNN, right? Because we all know they were so light on Clintons sexual escapades

big_al said:
Im sure you have tons of evidence to prove your theory about CNN, right? Because we all know they were so light on Clintons sexual escapades
The Clinton News Network??? Ted Turner is not a liberal is he?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back