• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Twa 800

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The investigation led to a significant problem in wiring that could have been a major problem for not only the 747 but the 737 as well.

Please tell us why the truth has not and will not come out. The most open accident investigation in the history of aviation. All recovered debris and the reconstructed fuselage is open to the public and all conspiracy theorists. Why can't they show a missile strike?

Publishers said:
The investigation led to a significant problem in wiring that could have been a major problem for not only the 747 but the 737 as well.

If I remember right, the investigation concluded that it was a short in a wiring harness in the center fuel tank. How many amps would be involved and would it be enough to ignite kerosene fumes?

Just curious,

AF :cool:

BTW, wasn't one of the early conclusions that it was pack related? Or am I thinking of something else?

Last edited:
Wiring condition was a major finding on both the accident aircraft and similar, high time aircraft that were examined as part of the investigation. Similarly configured aircraft, (center fuel tank), are those mainly affected by the AD.

Pack related in the sense that the accident aircraft, and the Phillipine 73 that exploded both have the acm packs located near enough to the center fuel tank to cause an explosive fuel vapor situation given the right circumstances.

Non-electrical ignition?

ArcticFlier said:
BTW, wasn't one of the early conclusions that it was pack related? Or am I thinking of something else?

I think there was some speculation that a pack might have disintegrated, with very hot shrapnel from the air cycle machine penetrating a tank. Don't know if that theory was given much weight....:confused:

All you need to know is that your government would never lie to you. I should know. I'm in the military, and I trust our leaders absolutely because they tell us the truth. If they lied to us, I wouldn't vote for them, and they wouldn't be in office. See, it logically follows that in order for them to be in office, they must tell the truth, which gets them votes. So have a little trust in the official statements and investigations. They are all accurate and totally complete. Carry on.

kingsize said:
And the truth still isn't out...

Yeah, and aliens are going to abduct you in your sleep and impregnate you with alien spawn!!! :rolleyes:

Fuel vapors in the center fuel tank were ignited by a shorted-out wire -- AFTER IT WAS SLICED IN TWO BY A MISSLE!!!

Latest resources

Back