• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

TV Report: PILOTS ON FOOD STAMPS

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My friend is a second year school teacher making over 40K (In Orlando FL) and he doesn't even work in the summer. They can make close to 50K second year if they become board certified (whatever that means). Also, they get OFF every weekend, holiday, Spring Break, Winter Break, and he is home every night.

And when you look at a regional pilot's wages vs. a teacher's, you have to look at one more thing- THEIR PENSION. Most teachers (that I know of) will receive a pension when they retire. It won't be a ton of money, but the teachers in my district can probably expect to earn somewhere in the neighborhood of $20,000 to $40,000/yr (in today's dollars) if they spend most of their career in district. Roughly speaking, in order to purchase a fixed annuity (i.e. something resembling a teacher's pension with no adjustments for inflation) that pays a pilot around $30,000/yr in retirement, it would cost that pilot currently around $500,000. So that's what that teacher (or other pensioned professional) is getting in addition to their salary, over their career vs. a regional airline pilot.

Last edited:
Sad that this former NWA pilot couldn't get his facts straight before he discredited himself on CNBC. He 1st said that starting regional FO pay is $16 - $20 per hour when in fact a more accurate range is $22-$25 per hour for starting pay. He then went on to say that you can only earn 80 hours per month?? WTF?? I think 95 + would be a more accurate credit projection for most regional contracts. Most 2nd year regional FO's are making more than 2nd Year school teachers, Financial Advisors, Police Officers, Retail Managers, ect. ect.... In fact... average 2nd year regional FO pay out pays the average pay for a college graduate entry level job. Look ahead a few years for Regional Captain pay and you are way above average median income.

Well put. Part of the problem maybe the commute thing on top of the flying away from home equates a lot of time being on the road. This is however, PEOPLES CHOICE. Not the companies.

My friend is a second year school teacher making over 40K (In Orlando FL) and he doesn't even work in the summer. They can make close to 50K second year if they become board certified (whatever that means). Also, they get OFF every weekend, holiday, Spring Break, Winter Break, and he is home every night.

WOOO HOOOO! Big friggin deal. Wow! 50K! That ain't jack. The earning potential for a pilot is more than that. You just have to pay your dues for a while and stay in the game. I am not saying starting pay for pilots is good. It should be 40K MINIMUM but don't make it sound like teachers have it made. What will your friend top out at and how long will that take?

Well, my friend who is a school teacher is currently working on his law degree. I haven't checked to see what a law school professor makes but I am guessing it rivals most airline pilots.

Sure, major airline pilots for large airlines will always make lots of money. But the majority of pilots jobs are now at Regionals and Low Cost Carriers.

If you think it is OK for a regional First Officer to make slightly more/less than 20K then you have a different opinion than me. I think it is wrong.

Sad that this former NWA pilot couldn't get his facts straight before he discredited himself on CNBC. He 1st said that starting regional FO pay is $16 - $20 per hour when in fact a more accurate range is $22-$25 per hour for starting pay. He then went on to say that you can only earn 80 hours per month?? WTF?? I think 95 + would be a more accurate credit projection for most regional contracts. Most 2nd year regional FO's are making more than 2nd Year school teachers, Financial Advisors, Police Officers, Retail Managers, ect. ect.... In fact... average 2nd year regional FO pay out pays the average pay for a college graduate entry level job. Look ahead a few years for Regional Captain pay and you are way above average median income.

What are you smoking? My friends wife just took a human resourses position right out of college making $70k a year. Underpaid school teachers start at $35k a year where I live and eventualy can make $75k a year with summers off. You're either in management or a true air whore.

Dude, you keep talking that BS & you're gonna make me stop drinking Sierra Nevada...& that just wouldn't be right.

He then went on to say that you can only earn 80 hours per month?? WTF?? I think 95 + would be a more accurate credit projection for most regional contracts.
Keep smoking and make sure to pass on the left hand side.

Genius! :rolleyes:

August idiot post of the month nomination. Any seconds?

Lear,

I'll second that!

ASA $19.00/hr first year.

701EV

Latest resources

Back