• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

TV Report: PILOTS ON FOOD STAMPS

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sad that this former NWA pilot couldn't get his facts straight before he discredited himself on CNBC. He 1st said that starting regional FO pay is $16 - $20 per hour when in fact a more accurate range is $22-$25 per hour for starting pay. He then went on to say that you can only earn 80 hours per month?? WTF?? I think 95 + would be a more accurate credit projection for most regional contracts. Most 2nd year regional FO's are making more than 2nd Year school teachers, Financial Advisors, Police Officers, Retail Managers, ect. ect.... In fact... average 2nd year regional FO pay out pays the average pay for a college graduate entry level job. Look ahead a few years for Regional Captain pay and you are way above average median income.

D-bag of the year nominee...

Sad that this former NWA pilot couldn't get his facts straight before he discredited himself on CNBC. He 1st said that starting regional FO pay is $16 - $20 per hour when in fact a more accurate range is $22-$25 per hour for starting pay. He then went on to say that you can only earn 80 hours per month?? WTF?? I think 95 + would be a more accurate credit projection for most regional contracts. Most 2nd year regional FO's are making more than 2nd Year school teachers, Financial Advisors, Police Officers, Retail Managers, ect. ect.... In fact... average 2nd year regional FO pay out pays the average pay for a college graduate entry level job. Look ahead a few years for Regional Captain pay and you are way above average median income.

$19.25/hr and my September line award has 77.35 hours of credit on it a$$hole. You do the math.

When I was at Trans Hulas, I knew a guy that reached 1000 hours for the year sometime late in November. The company would not pay him for December because he was not available to fly. Basically, he was given a leave of absence with benefits.

He lost the grievance.

If you're a pilot, then you're part of the problem not the solution. You're the guy that works for nothing and takes it up the yang yang and asks for another. Hell, you're the guy that would cross a picket line!!!!

If you're not a pilot, then go and resume your golf game with your management buddies at the countryclub. Quit trying to bandaid things.

Good video.

Can anyone with technical skills POST THIS VIDEO ON YOUTUBE for the public to see? - if so, add a few key words that will attract a good mixture of viewers.

Stuff like this needs to get more air time, especially from a news source. It seems even the correspondant was bewildered at the fact that pilots need FOOD STAMPS.

Pilot compensation needs to go up, at least at starting levels at the regionals.

I cringe when I hear experts say that we are paid X amount of dollars per hour. I also cringe when they say we can only "work" 80-90 hours a month.

When I describe pilot wages to a non-aviation person, I say that even though we work a full time job and are away from home at least as much as a person working a full time profession, we are only PAID approximately 80-90 hours a month vs the 160 hours+ per month that a typical 40 hour per week individual would earn. When a person watching CNBC hears that a regional airline pilot starts off at $20 an hour, for example, they're thinking $20 x 40 hours/week x 52 weeks = $41,600 instead of $20x 20 hrs/week x 52 weeks = $20,800. That's why the host was so "shocked" at his claim that a regional airline pilot with a family can quality for food stamps in many states even though they may be paid over 20 dollars per hour.

We, as pilots, should NEVER say that we "only" can work 80 hours (or whatever) per month. We SHOULD say we work full time but only get PAID for 80 hours per month.

P.S. Good on the speaker for wearing what appeared to be his ALPA pin

Most 2nd year regional FO's are making more than 2nd Year school teachers

My friend is a second year school teacher making over 40K (In Orlando FL) and he doesn't even work in the summer. They can make close to 50K second year if they become board certified (whatever that means). Also, they get OFF every weekend, holiday, Spring Break, Winter Break, and he is home every night.

Latest resources

Back