• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

TV Report: PILOTS ON FOOD STAMPS

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No, I'm just a pragmatist and a realist. I don't see any value in continuing to fight a war that we know we won't win. If I saw any indication from the Administration that they were planning on changing strategies and actually fighting the war to win it, then my opinion would be different. Instead, I see a President that refuses to admit that this has been a disaster. No one in the administration will admit that they've screwed up, so none of them will even entertain the idea of changing strategies. What exactly do you hope to accomplish by throwing more troops and more money at a failed strategy?

My friend, I've been fighting this war since 9/11. Up close and personal, the entire time. We are not losing. I've never met a GI who believes we are losing, and I've met thousands.

Have you ever worn your country's uniform? Didn't think so. What do YOU know about military strategy?

Sure, mistakes have been made in this war, as sure as mistakes have been made in ALL wars.

We have some of the best military minds ever to grace the earth working on this. They know what they are doing. Believe me.

Every soldier, sailor, airman, and marine, and indeed every American, will be much better off without your self-defeating commentary.

Check your sources.

Do you believe everybody on food stamps chooses to be? That's what you agreed with Newman about, right?

Lear70 and g159av8tor just told you otherwise.

I would say about 95% of people choose to be. That includes regional pilots. If they take a low paying regional job that qualifies them for food stamps, then, yes, they are choosing to be on food stamps. I don't really find anything wrong with that because it's temporary. Anyone else is also choosing to be on them and if they are not actively trying to change their situation to a better one, then, yes, they are choosing to be. The only people that I would say may be on food stamps but don't choose to be are elderly that just cannot work anymore and/or someone that is disabled (and I am not talking obese still walking around but on disability disabled, I am talking about really disabled disabled). Any other questions?

Last edited:
I would say 95% of them choose to be.

It's true. Most people get nice n comfy on government handouts. They figure why try to make my own way when someone else will do it for me? Unfortunately there is no time limits set by the government. The goal should be to get people on their feet and off these programs ASAP not let them suck the system dry.

Also pilots that goto airlines knowing they will be on food stamps are part of that 95%. Luckily they are only on them for a year. Everyone always has a choice.

You guys are so full of crap, I can't believe it. 95%, eh? Where the hell did you get that? How many employed pilots do you guys know who actually use food stamps? I'll mail you my left nut if you know even one. (not really, just saying for dramatic purposes.)

Mega, you at least have a shred of credibility, but your 95% thing pisses me off. MAYBE 95% of the people you dealt with had a choice, MAYBE. How about the millions of others? Who the F are you to say that somebody you have never met who needs a helping hand, doesn't deserve it?

Mega, you at least have a shred of credibility, but your 95% thing pisses me off. MAYBE 95% of the people you dealt with had a choice, MAYBE. How about the millions of others? Who the F are you to say that somebody you have never met who needs a helping hand, doesn't deserve it?

Who the F am I to say that? Well, I am a taxpayer for one. That's where the money for the helping hand comes from...our taxes! If all of us that contribute to these people's food stamps stopped working tomorrow, where would they get their food stamps from? DAMN STRAIGHT I have a right to have an opinion about this! If you work and pay taxes, SO DO YOU! If you don't have a problem giving people some of your money, that's great. I have a problem with it, especially the ones that abuse it and I think there are many.

If you live in America, you have a choice. If you do have to be on food stamps, it should be for a short period. There are many gov't programs that are available to help you get out of that rut (ie. getting an education on their dime if you are on public aid is one thing that's available). If you end up on food stamps for your entire life or most of it, YES, it is your choice and, NO, you don't deserve it. Public assistance (whether food stamps or health insurance) should be a short term solution not a way of life. Unfortunately, for many, it's easier to get the check on the 1st then make an effort to better yourself. You are fooling yourself if you think people actually have no choice.

Last edited:
No, I'm just a pragmatist and a realist. I don't see any value in continuing to fight a war that we know we won't win. If I saw any indication from the Administration that they were planning on changing strategies and actually fighting the war to win it, then my opinion would be different. Instead, I see a President that refuses to admit that this has been a disaster. No one in the administration will admit that they've screwed up, so none of them will even entertain the idea of changing strategies. What exactly do you hope to accomplish by throwing more troops and more money at a failed strategy?

How ironic..... that's exactly the excuse ALPA is using for changing positions on age 60, but you don't agree in that situation...

There should be a time limit for those on welfare and food stamps. If people do not progress then boot their asses to the streets!

Sad that this former NWA pilot couldn't get his facts straight before he discredited himself on CNBC. He 1st said that starting regional FO pay is $16 - $20 per hour when in fact a more accurate range is $22-$25 per hour for starting pay. He then went on to say that you can only earn 80 hours per month?? WTF?? I think 95 + would be a more accurate credit projection for most regional contracts. Most 2nd year regional FO's are making more than 2nd Year school teachers, Financial Advisors, Police Officers, Retail Managers, ect. ect.... In fact... average 2nd year regional FO pay out pays the average pay for a college graduate entry level job. Look ahead a few years for Regional Captain pay and you are way above average median income.
OK, let's play your numbers. The highly paid Stupid Stan is making 25.00 per hr. He flies 1000 hrs a year, that 25000 per year. Smells like food stamps to me.

Latest resources

Back