• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

TV Report: PILOTS ON FOOD STAMPS

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Who is to determine what is "right?" If an informed majority determines that a certain course of action is "right," then what qualifies a single man to make a different decision? How does he know that something is "right" when the rest of America disagrees with him?

Using polls to determine all actions isn't possible, since it's not possible for the general public to be suitably informed on so many issues. However, in the case of the war, the public has had several years to observe this situation and come to an informed opinion. Over time, the public has looked at the situation in Iraq and determined that continuing to fight is not a viable option. Bush is providing no new information to sway this opinion. He merely continues the same rhetoric that the public has summarily rejected (ie. fight them there so we don't have to fight them here, etc...). If the Administration has no new information or strategy to offer that might sway the opinion of the citizens, then the will of the majority should prevail.

The majority of Americans and the majority of ALPA members are not "informed" on most of these issues...

That's usually the case with liberals.

Liberal? I voted for Bush. Twice. I may not be as far-right as some folks, but I'm no liberal. For the first few years I supported Bush and this war, but you have to know when to call it quits. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one, but don't call me a liberal. Them's fightin' words. ;)

So majority should always rule? Is pure Democracy always right?

A pure democracy doesn't work because it is too inefficient. Elected leaders have to be in place to run the government, but yes, they should be following the direction of their constituents to the best of their ability.

Should ALPA fight age 60 even if it is enevitable that it is going to change?

If the membership still demands, after a full education campaign, that the Association continue to fight the change, then yes. Do I think that it would be a smart move? Of course not. But it's not the job of the leadership to tell the membership that they can't have what they want.

Liberal? I voted for Bush. Twice. I may not be as far-right as some folks, but I'm no liberal. For the first few years I supported Bush and this war, but you have to know when to call it quits. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one, but don't call me a liberal. Them's fightin' words. ;)

OK.

So, you're not a total buffoon. Just stay the course man. Now is no time for marital discourse. We're facing the apocalyptical conflict of our lifetimes.

Enough said.

Who the F am I to say that? Well, I am a taxpayer for one. That's where the money for the helping hand comes from...our taxes! If all of us that contribute to these people's food stamps stopped working tomorrow, where would they get their food stamps from? DAMN STRAIGHT I have a right to have an opinion about this! If you work and pay taxes, SO DO YOU! If you don't have a problem giving people some of your money, that's great. I have a problem with it, especially the ones that abuse it and I think there are many.

If you live in America, you have a choice. If you do have to be on food stamps, it should be for a short period. There are many gov't programs that are available to help you get out of that rut (ie. getting an education on their dime if you are on public aid is one thing that's available). If you end up on food stamps for your entire life or most of it, YES, it is your choice and, NO, you don't deserve it. Public assistance (whether food stamps or health insurance) should be a short term solution not a way of life. Unfortunately, for many, it's easier to get the check on the 1st then make an effort to better yourself. You are fooling yourself if you think people actually have no choice.
Mega - couldn't agree with you more! I'm s fed up with this creeping entitlement mentality we see here. As someone born and raised in Europe I can clearly see this Europ'isation in the way many Americans think, especially the ones leaning to the left. Food stamps should be very temporary and anyone who stays on them for years is abusing the system, very simple.

Heck, next thing you know we’ll be debating if should let people who are “feeling” burned out retire early (without any penalties of course!) Kid you not; this is the latest crazy idea the neo-communists came up with in Europe. They’ll only need to raise taxes a few percent to pay for it of course! :puke:
Of course, I do think our burned out captains should be allowed to leave early! :beer:
Want food stamps? Pick up trash on our highways first and then we’ll consider it…

Last edited:
So you like flying 95 hrs a month?

1) You obviously don't have a family.
2) You will never be able to sustain 95 hrs permantly. It will catch up with you. Especially once you go int'l.

So it appears the NW guy is right. 80 hours is the norm[/QUOTE

yea its like volunteering 160 hours a month but only getting paid for 80.

Latest resources

Back