• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Turn at 400' AGL?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Most glass airplanes won't show a turn on the FD till 400 feet. I would conclude that no modern pilot can make a turn below 400 without it safely.AS for us old timers ---wheels in the wells and if an engine fails that is your clean up altitude.

Usually 400 ft unless the engine out procedure requires otherwise. For the record 121 does allow turns starting at 50' AGL at no more than 15 degrees AOB.

TurboS7 said:
Most glass airplanes won't show a turn on the FD till 400 feet. I would conclude that no modern pilot can make a turn below 400 without it safely.AS for us old timers ---wheels in the wells and if an engine fails that is your clean up altitude.
Personally, I don't believe you have any business making a heading change below 400' agl. TurboS7 is spot on. The FMSes won't iniatiate a heading change on a DP until you've got at least 400' in the bank.
'Sled

Last edited:
Donsa320 said:
I see you are in DC-6's and I'll bet you are accutely aware of take-off obstacle clearance. <grin> Thanks.
D.C.
Yep, you nailed that one! <g> The more time you spend down low, the more interested you become in the finer points of obstacle clearence.

On another subject, there are also early turns in departure procedures. I fly into 2 airports which have early turns. One says "turn as soon as practical" and the other says "immediate left turn" I don't wait for 400 feet to begin the turn at either of these airports.

TurboS7 said:
You don't need a flight director to make a turn, you fly it like a real airplane.
Turbo, one of these days you'll have to explain to me what this "flight director" thingy I keep hearing about is.

A squared

A Squared said:
Yep, you nailed that one! <g> The more time you spend down low, the more interested you become in the finer points of obstacle clearence.

On another subject, there are also early turns in departure procedures. I fly into 2 airports which have early turns. One says "turn as soon as practical" and the other says "immediate left turn" I don't wait for 400 feet to begin the turn at either of these airports.
Interesting...I should have learned years ago never to say never! <g>

On a diffrent note I've often wondered how much power you are getting on 100LL fuel. I assume you have CB-16 or CB-17 engines. Can you still use ADI and what is the max MP, RPM and HP?

Thanks

D.C.

Latest resources

Back