Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

your_dreamguy

Hello Everyone,

I just got into a disagreement with some of my captains.
In the AIM, section 5-2-6, b(1): In the begining of the paragraph, the AIM states," Unless specifed otherwise, required obstacle clearance for all departures, including diverse, is based on the pilot crossing the departure end of the runway at least 35 feet...climbing to 400 feet...before making a turn."
This section deals with Instrument Departure Procedures. However, what happens in the case where there is no DP for a particular airport and you get the following clearance:

Cleared to XYZ, after departure make a right turn to a heading of ABC...etc.

If there's no DP at your airport and no further instructions have been given, such as a DME fix, upon reaching departure control or upon reaching a certain altitude, etc...I would make a turn to a heading of ABC at 400' AGL per the AIM section listed above (even though the AIM section listed above pertains to DP's). Some of my captains disagreed and said it should have be higher. However, they could not provide any info. on how they got their answer. By the way, this type of situation has happened to me a few times in real life.

Could you guys give me your opinion?

Thanks

personal preference and comforts.

in a jet or turboprop i climb to 1500'agl and then turn to make sure i'm not running into a 172 on a base leg (at least lessen the chances).

the time it takes to climb the extra 1100' is negligible to me.

i remember the ATP written has a question regarding this and the answer was climb at best performance until 1500agl, which to me means straight ahead at a safe climb speed.

At our company it's 400' flaps up, yaw damp on and turn to xyz heading. Our FOM states that no turns under 400' so we just use the callout as a reminder. Sometimes if the airport is noise sensitive i hold out a little extra on the turn just to fly neighborly. (stuart, FL allways has you turn hard right off of runway 12) --- best example i can think of

Of course if there is DP then we follow that.

Obstacle departure proceedures are published where diverse climb criteria is not applicable. In a nutshell, if you can't depart in any direction with a climb of 200/nm, then departure proceedures are published...for airports where instrument proceedures have been evaluated.

Complete lack of any instrument proceedure,of course, is no gaurantee.

If an obstacle proceedure is published, follow it. If you can file a DP, then do so, and follow it as filed/ammended.

As for climbing 400'; it's a good policy to wait until at least 400' before doing anything but raising the gear. Don't touch power, flaps, or anything else below that except for an emergency.

If you fly for an airline there may be even more restrictions in your ops specs. Restrictions above and beyond standard terps. For example if the weather is less than 1000' clg and 3 miles (VFR) no turns are allowed below 1000' agl in our specs unless required for a published engine out turn procedure.

If in vfr and obstacle clearance can be assured, our min altitude for turns is 100'. Otherwise it's 400'.

In ATL on clear days often they ask the ATR's (only props operating from there) to give them an early turn to clear the path for jet traffic taking off behind. They only do it on clear days, but when they ask they are usually asking for a turn somewhere around 200' or so, as they have cleared the guy behind you as soon as they figured out you weren't aborting. The configuration doesn't change until 400', except you are in a turn when you hit the 400'.

atrdriver

400 AGL for a turn, 1000ft. for cleanup or MCUA for engine failure cleanup which varies. Been this way for all three airlines that I have worked for.

AIM v. FOM

I would go by your company's (FAA-approved) flight operations/procedures manual. Because your FOM is FAA-approved, it is virtually regulatory. Absent any guidance therein, you can't go wrong by following the AIM. Although the AIM is not necessarily regulatory, it may as well be because the FAA promulgates it.

As a relatively new FO, on probation, if it were me, I would tread with caution arguments with your Captains.

Latest resources

Back