• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Turn at 400' AGL?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A flight director thingy are cross hairs or airplane wings that show the pilot how to fly, if you keep the cross hairs where they should be the aircraft will perform the way that it has been programmed.To insure that ex-Alaskan DC-6 pilots do not do thier own thing most flight departments require you to use the flight director thingy at all time. What flight department heads do not know is that ex-Alaskan DC-6 pilots have aquired the ability to fly through the flight director and do what they feel is best for the airplane and passsenger at that given time.Better yet most ex-Alaskan DC-6 pilots have the sense to turn the thing off and tell the ex-commuter flight department head where to shove it.

Donsa320 said:
On a diffrent note I've often wondered how much power you are getting on 100LL fuel. I assume you have CB-16 or CB-17 engines. Can you still use ADI and what is the max MP, RPM and HP?
There is no physical difference between a CB-16 and a CB-17 the only difference is that the CB-17 has been approved for the higher power settings with 108/135 (brown) or 115/145 (purple) fuel. We can use the full CB-16 power settings with 100LL, which with anti detonation injection is 59.5 in hg. and 2800 RPM. this gives 2400 hp vs. the CB-17 setting of 62 in. hg. at 2800 RPM and 2500 hp.

TurboS7 said:
To insure that ex-Alaskan DC-6 pilots do not do thier own thing most flight departments require you to use the flight director thingy at all time.
Even if the flight director thingy is telling you to fly into the mountain at the end of 16 at McGrath?

Last edited:
A Squared

Thanks, I've got about 7500hrs in Piston Convairs and I kinda miss the sound of those engines and props.

D.C.

Lead Sled said:
Personally, I don't believe you have any business making a heading change below 400' agl. TurboS7 is spot on. The FMSes won't iniatiate a heading change on a DP until you've got at least 400' in the bank.
There will always be exceptions to the rule and you guys have done a fine job in pointing out most, if not all, of those exceptions. But generally speaking, unless you have a good reason to do other wise, it's still a good idea not to be making any turns below 400'.

Latest resources

Back