• Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Evansaero

Trans States Airlines to lay off 45 pilots
By Tim Logan
ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
06/10/2008

Battered by rising fuel costs, Trans States Airlines said today it will lay off 45 pilots, effective July 1.

The Bridgeton-based regional airline, which contracts with American Airlines, United Airlines and US Airways, is seeing its flights cut back as those airlines reduce capacity. So it will furlough 45 of its roughly 550 pilots.

In recent weeks, as oil prices have spiraled north of $130 a barrel, airlines have been announcing a wide range of cuts in service and staffing.

"The current environment is particularly difficult," said Trans States spokesman Bill Mishk. "What we're trying to do is manage our business."

The 45 furloughed pilots are its most junior first officers, including nine who are finishing training.

Trans States runs about 320 flights a day, nearly half through St. Louis. It's not sure yet how many will be cut, Mishk said.

[email protected] | 314-340-8291

Does GoJets do American Connection? I understand that capacity cuts by AAL are a large part of the reason for the TSA furloughs.

They only do United Express stuff. AA's scope says 50 seats are the biggest thing any "American Connection" carrier can have (for any code share) which is why TSA(H) did the whole Gojet and Chq did the whole Shuttle America/Republic thing.

Just had a guy DH on one of my flights on his way back home from IOE. He asked if I thought he was safe from furlough and I told him nope. Too bad I wasn't wrong. Its too bad that its not like last time cause I think its gonna be pretty hard for those guys to find new jobs this time around. Although I hear that Comair and maybe Pinnacle are hiring right now.

Well I didnt get the call but seeing as though I was 46 from the bottom...I know it's coming soon..

Want to know the wierd part about all of this...I don't even care anymore.

To everyone who got the calls today, I'm so sorry guys...lets just keep our collective heads up and pass the time doing something that puts a smile on our faces.

UGH

Comair is Hiring alot of pilots right now and we would love to have you guys. Any TSA guys that would like to interview PM and I will gladly forward your resume.

They only do United Express stuff. AA's scope says 50 seats are the biggest thing any "American Connection" carrier can have (for any code share) which is why TSA(H) did the whole Gojet and Chq did the whole Shuttle America/Republic thing.

I am sure I have seen Eagle fly CRJ700's Do they not have that restriction.

Latest resources

Back