True Story, no joke....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

UALX727

I've told this story to a few of my friends but have refrained from posting it here. But it's been a while ago so I'll tell it to the board.
This really happened to me but I guess I am not too surprised.

Here's something that really ticked me off. A few months ago a female recruiter from McDonald's Corporation called me up at home. Turns out she was searching on Monster.com looking for a pilot for their flight department. I think the title of my resume was something like:

"Airline Pilot Seeks New Career Opportunity"

I posted there figuring maybe I'd get some kind of 9 to 5 job, not really looking for a pilot gig. This was for a position based out of Chicago. As we talked, it became evident that she really wasn't interested in me. She told me straight out that they were placing a "high degree of emphasis" on candidates with a "diverse" backround. (AKA- She was basically asking me if I was a minority) or if I knew any other minority pilots that might be interested. This really ticked me off- To call me at home, with no interest of hiring me unless I fit the minority status, and then to ask me if I knew of any others who fit her description.

I refrained from telling her off because I really am in no position to being furloughed right now. I figured maybe I had some chance. I was polite and told her neither myself or any buds of mine were in a position to help her with her minority search. I honestly don't know any minority pilots laid off right now. I did tell her I knew of many non-minority pilots who were laid off and would do a fine job. She said she'd send me an email and to send her my resume and my buds names and phone #'s.

I went to the computer, checked my email, and sure enough she sent me a message that said, "Thanks for the help on this one."
That was all she pretty much wrote. That's when I sent my resume back to her with names and numbers of some of my buds. I told her to please give us the same consideration as anyone else she was looking for.

She responded back and said she would keep us in mind for any future openings. Guess what? It's been 2 months and none of us have heard Jack Squat. Interesting....

I do not intend to start a thread on minority hiring. I just wanted to pass this along to you guys if you might know a good guy who they would want. I just can't believe that happened to me. I still remember the recruiters name.

I'd say this is a perfect issue to boycot McDonalds on...not that I ever eat there anyway, but hey at least now I have another reason other than bad food.

I had almost the exact same experience with a fortune 100 soda maker. Even though I had every qual they were looking for I was denied a look and told quite frankly of their search criteria. Oh well, someone has to atone for our for our great grands sins.

I would've said: "yeah, what up dawg. You gots an airplane dat needs a brotha pilot? I be the right one fo da job. How much it pay? Yeah...sounds good. Where da airplane stay? Mhmm, I be on my way.

That's a load of CRAP!!!!!!!!!!

"GREAT GRANDS SINS" Hey thats just plan living in the past to think that way. What's done is done we can't change the past. All we can do is learn from it and not repeat it. But with CRAP like that they are doing exactly opposite. Thats just like the issue of having a 4 year degree or not. The guy with the 4 year gets the job regardless of how they perform. That degree isn't going to do them any good unless they can fly the plane or not. Maybe they can use it for toilet paper. I guess I am just pi$$ed off to hear a story like that when we got tons of good qualified guys out there looking for job. I don't care what color you are, we all should get a equal chance if you meet the qualifications. Just my 2 cents worth. I don't want to make anybody made. If I did or do you can guess that what I would say to you.

There are many reasons why airlines like candidates with degrees. It shows that you can finish a lengthy project, are committed, and are teachable. That doesn't mean people without degrees are not any of those. They just need to show potential employers that they have those types of qualities.

Well I might be a minority in aviation

Hey UAL:

It's not just you!! I troll all the job boards looking for employment. I DID send something to McDonald's -- saw it at Monster.com, as did another furloughed airline pilot who lives in Chicago (McDonald's HQs). Neither of us received a call.

See where I am going with this?? It wasn't because you were male (or that we are female) it is the fact that we are fuloughed!!

I feel like I have leporacy with the furloughed connotation.

Brilliant proptrash. Did you think that up all by yourself? Or did you do lots of research on Soul Train to come up with that one.
Get a life.

Rook

600' AGL Autopilot on
'WHEW!'

Latest resources

Back