Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

True or False: Focus Air starting a PFT 747 program.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ERAU2GIA said:
You must face the facts whether you want to or not. Embry-Riddle graduates are a completely different product than a 500 hour CFI who has only been knocking around the pattern with overweight 40 year old lawyers. We are trained as AIRLINE PILOTS from the beginning. If you have only instructed or flown freight you probably are not ready for the panel of a 74. But an Embry-Riddle graduate IS. Those are the facts. Like it or not.

MR

Ahhh, I see TRAINING/8HRRULE has returned. Dude, don't you get bored just trying to p!ss people off all the time?

No I do not work in the training department nor do I have anything to do with making the rules at any airline. I am just a pilot. And I am not trying to $$$$ anyone off. I responded to this post because I cannot sit by and watch ERAU get bashed for the 100th time. Our training is such that we are afforded many opportunities in the industry that others are not. This is not an accident. It happens for a reason. Our training. It's very simple. Our training is more thorough than any other organization and those who cannot toe the line are not kept at ERAU. Only the cream walks across the stage. I'm sure UND thinks the same about their school too. And they should. We should all believe we went to the best school and had the best training and we should defend our institutions from badly informed opinions. But the real truth is that graduates of ERAU, UND, a a few other places are a cut above and so we get opportunities others don't. Don't blame me. I didn't make the rules. I'm just trying to play by them.

MR

ERAU2GIA said:
No I do not work in the training department nor do I have anything to do with making the rules at any airline. I am just a pilot. And I am not trying to $$$$ anyone off. I responded to this post because I cannot sit by and watch ERAU get bashed for the 100th time. Our training is such that we are afforded many opportunities in the industry that others are not. This is not an accident. It happens for a reason. Our training. It's very simple. Our training is more thorough than any other organization and those who cannot toe the line are not kept at ERAU. Only the cream walks across the stage. I'm sure UND thinks the same about their school too. And they should. We should all believe we went to the best school and had the best training and we should defend our institutions from badly informed opinions. But the real truth is that graduates of ERAU, UND, a a few other places are a cut above and so we get opportunities others don't. Don't blame me. I didn't make the rules. I'm just trying to play by them.

MR

Well then, I would like to take this opportunity to retract my previous sarcastic response.....and congratulate you, on your recent promotion to admissions recruiter. :)

Good luck to them

I think it is a wonderful opportunity....and I hope they take advantage of it. They will have to work very, very, very hard, but I can't see why they can't succeed. CAPT has placed people at ASA, Focus and somewhere else (one of the USAir regionals, I can't recall which). Evidently, these companies like what they see. They are doing well for a brand new program with a new way of thinking about how to train pilots. These people have gotten to their objective (airlines) without wasting time and without risking license, life, and limb going the CFI route!! I wish I had avoided THAT pain in the butt. And they get seniority, pay, etc sooner than via the traditional route, so they can begin to pay back their loans much sooner.

Again, good luck. I'll be curious to see how they do.

ERAU2GIA said:
You must face the facts whether you want to or not. Embry-Riddle graduates are a completely different product than a 500 hour CFI who has only been knocking around the pattern with overweight 40 year old lawyers. We are trained as AIRLINE PILOTS from the beginning. If you have only instructed or flown freight you probably are not ready for the panel of a 74. But an Embry-Riddle graduate IS. Those are the facts. Like it or not.

MR

Apparently your lack of EXPERIENCE blinds you. The only fact about the pilots you refer to is that they DON'T have enough EXPERIENCE for worldwide operations outside the pristine environment of academia and forgiving aviation environment in the States.

You might be interested to check out what insurance rates are for people with your EXPERIENCE level and find out WHY.

Do any corporate guys out there see that many 400 hour buy-a-job programs for Gulfstreams and Hawkers? HELL NO. Because insurance companies won't touch them. They're smart enough to know that training is just training, and NOTHING can equal experience. Any jacka$$ can pass any checkride if you give him enough chances. If some 250 hour pilot goes out and passes a B747 checkride after a few hours in a sim (by some miracle of God), do you honestly think he/she is ready to sit in the left seat of a B747 and manage a crew? HELL NO. Is it legal? Sure. Is it completely f-ing stupid? Yep.

**CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** PFT guys piss me off.

ERAU2GIA said:

MR

Christ they fly a 172 and they think they are space shuttle drivers! No wonder you Riddle guys get picked on. Hope that $20,000 private was worth it.

Man this guy is just precious. Makes me wish I had some CRJ Sim time just like him.As I said before, I've flown with some sharp Riddle guys. As a rule they were the ones who knew that they left Riddle not knowing squat. The "other kind"...well I've flown with 50 hr Grannies who know more than they did in the real world.

Good point about experience...but how do you define it? Purely in terms of (numbers of) hours? Any reasonable person can agree that a lot of the time we build is just that...time we build, without having anything particularly valuable happen as the minute hand sweeps by.

And, finally...what about operations such as Lufthansa (and others) that have ab-initio pilots in the right seat of heavies in global operations? Works for them, it seems.

What I think is that a lot of us came up the hard way and we don't like it when others don't suffer as much as we did ("you must pay your dues, kid....I did and by golly you shall too").

I just can't think that way.

just my .02

ERAU2GIA said:

MR

Man, I know you really believe what you're saying, and I commend you for standing up for what you believe. One of these days, though, after you've got a little working experience under your belt, I predict you will look back on that post and feel an urgent need to change your screen name.

Latest resources

Back