Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

True or False: Focus Air starting a PFT 747 program.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I.P. Freley said:
Okay, fair enough. I had a much different experience... Almost all of my professors were professional and I learned what I expected to learn, though I didn't believe then and don't now that an ERAU degree automatically places you at the top of the heap. I made the most I could out of the education I received there, even though at times I felt like it was a joke (like when I got one of those professors who needed a poke in the eye with a sharp stick), and thankfully I didn't run up a gigantic student loan bill. Well, not as gigantic as some of those you mentioned, though it still seems plenty gigantic. :)

Much of the bad rep that individual ERAU grads get is on the basis of the 22 yr-old hotshot who demands an RJ three weeks after graduation... But I didn't know those people, didn't want anything to do with those people, and avoid those people today. It does get old quickly, however, when you get a guy from Western Michigan carrying on about what bunch of rubes Riddle guys are and how he got a better education for less etc., etc., etc., thus behaving even more badly than the fabled "Riddle Rat". Basically, anyone who attempts to make themselves seem better or smarter on the basis of their university needs to be beaten with a pillowcase full of doorknobs.

Unfortunately, most of the people in the regionals (especially) who need this beating seem to be Riddle guys (law of averages, you know, there's more of them and that one-in-ten idiot means there's thousands of idiots to choose from). I recognize that and think it's unfortunate for the vast majority of Riddle people who just keep their head down and do their job in a competent and professional manner to have to be tarred and feathered because everyone else has their personal "Riddle guy we love to hate".

"Basically, anyone who attempts to make themselves seem better or smarter on the basis of their university needs to be beaten with a pillowcase full of doorknobs."
You hit the nail square on the head with that. Aviation has taught me many things throughout the years, and the biggest thing it taught me is you earn what you are worth. Take graduates from ERAU, UND, Western Mich., and Guatemala State, and the only thing that will make it or break it for these people is whether or not they can fly.

"Much of the bad rep that individual ERAU grads get is on the basis of the 22 yr-old hotshot who demands an RJ three weeks after graduation... But I didn't know those people, didn't want anything to do with those people, and avoid those people today."
I have met a few of these people. In all fairness, I do give their graduates the benefit of the doubt, that these are the minority. In all fairness, I know several people from my alma matter (or is it matta?) who needed cranial deflations. No offense to the flight team, (I wasn't on it) but several thought they were skygods because of being on the team. I chose not to spend much time with these folks either. But, when it came time to graduate and look for a job, they had to compete with hours and skill just like everyone else from all backgrounds.

"I recognize that and think it's unfortunate for the vast majority of Riddle people who just keep their head down and do their job in a competent and professional manner to have to be tarred and feathered because everyone else has their personal "Riddle guy we love to hate"."
That's why I treat each one as an individual, regardless of school, civ, or military. I had some issues with the school's admin and teaching staff. But, to be fair, I had a few less-than-desireable prof's where I graduated from.

Clyde said:
No offense to the flight team, (I wasn't on it) but several thought they were skygods because of being on the team. I chose not to spend much time with these folks either. But, when it came time to graduate and look for a job, they had to compete with hours and skill just like everyone else from all backgrounds.

What, you don't recognize that dropping bags of flour from a 172 makes you a better 767 driver??? ;)

Man, when you saw the flight team guy with the flight suit on marching through campus you were better off to run the other direction... "Geek" is highly contagious, you know. (just kidding, flight team people)

I.P. Freley said:
What, you don't recognize that dropping bags of flour from a 172 makes you a better 767 driver??? ;)

Man, when you saw the flight team guy with the flight suit on marching through campus you were better off to run the other direction... "Geek" is highly contagious, you know. (just kidding, flight team people)

I hear ya man!!! For the most part they were good people. But, I couldn't stand talking aviation on Friday nights. Especially when the conversation turned to how you could tell the difference between 5 different Mooneys by the position of the antennas and what not.:D

Clyde said:
I couldn't stand talking aviation on Friday nights. Especially when the conversation turned to how you could tell the difference between 5 different Mooneys by the position of the antennas and what not.:D

At least I know you're not pulling our leg about having attended Riddle... Typical friday night was an unbelievable sausage fest with little groups talking about:

A- The different types of Mooneys
B- How to tell an MD-80 from an MD-88
C- How the Air Force missed the boat by not giving you an appointment to the Academy
D- How you'd never lower yourself to the point that you'd fly an Airbus
E- How you know a guy at CoEx and you're guaranteed a job upon graduation
F- How you'd never lower yourself to the point that you'd fly the 1900 in that new job
G- How it's time to bail and pick up townies at the Ocean Deck...and then stay anyway
H- How every other guy at the party is a dork for hanging around all these guys and if there were any DBCC chicks around you'd bed 'em in a minute

I.P. Freley said:
At least I know you're not pulling our leg about having attended Riddle... Typical friday night was an unbelievable sausage fest with little groups talking about:

A- The different types of Mooneys
B- How to tell an MD-80 from an MD-88
C- How the Air Force missed the boat by not giving you an appointment to the Academy
D- How you'd never lower yourself to the point that you'd fly an Airbus
E- How you know a guy at CoEx and you're guaranteed a job upon graduation
F- How you'd never lower yourself to the point that you'd fly the 1900 in that new job
G- How it's time to bail and pick up townies at the Ocean Deck...and then stay anyway
H- How every other guy at the party is a dork for hanging around all these guys and if there were any DBCC chicks around you'd bed 'em in a minute

I'm not sure how to respond, this one has me cracking up quite a bit.

I heard a lot of this from my school too. My favorite one was this: we had guys on the flight team going around trying to recruit people. (as if I didn't have very little spare time as it was) They told me I should join because the events have airline reps there. Like they were going to recruit me right on the spot to fly a DC-9 immediatley after graduation.:D

Latest resources

Back