Travis Barker - 4 killed, 2 hurt as rock star's jet crashes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
RIP Sara and James.

There's absolutely no reason that the 31, 60 and 45 shouldn't have had a dragchute like their predecessors.

1) Correct... if the T/R relay box receives "air" signals from squat switches.

2) Not completely correct... the hydraulic pressure for brakes comes from the nose gear down line. However, the anti-skid function is controlled by individual squat switches. The only way you can guarantee effective brakes (with squat switches in "air mode") with the gear down is turning the anti-skid off or using emergency braking.
Not trying to nitpick, but the question was "will you loose brakes if a squat switch is damaged?" No, you will not, you could loose the anti skid function, but you still will have full brake pressure.

3) Not completely correct... The squat switch relay box uses signals from both switches, and as long as one is in "ground mode," the relay box is in "ground mode." However, many systems bypass the relay box and get signals from both squat switches individually (anti-skid, for example).
True, some things are controlled off of individual switches. But I was trying to answer specific items. You cannot speed up the engines with the piggy backs up and the T/R's closed, and you do not loose total brake pressure either.

4) Correct. Aborts do not rely on autospoilers... they are to be fully deployed manually.

Edited so as not to offend anyone who writes more than he/she reads.

And, I certainly take no offense to you for answering. As has been said before, I think we are all just trying to become better educated on this.

Best regards

Hung

Why would a 45 need it? Awesome brakes.

The Learjet 45 or 60 could have a set of Gulfstream V brakes on them, without tires the brakes are useless. A drag chute works no matter what is happening.

Last edited:
Airplane sucks is correct. The T/R's squat switch signal does not come from the squat switch relay box. It recieves a signal from both squat switches and needs both in ground mode. That is the case for earlier models without the mod, but I think it was corrected on later models.

RIP Sara and James.

There's absolutely no reason that the 31, 60 and 45 shouldn't have had a dragchute like their predecessors.

Yeah my condolences too. My man Jumbo. Hey there I don't think the 45 needs a chute as the carbon fiber brakes and landing gear are state of the art. We had balanced field length at Lugano, Switzerland and it's as short as it gets. They really do work well. How's Continental Treating ya?

C

Let me share some really valuable information with you on the Learjet 55 and 60 tires ie Goodyear 17.5x5.75-8-14 TL Main Tires: Theses tires are small as everyone knows and they are 14 ply and run at 180 psi + or -5 PSI they are rated for a max load of over 6000 lbs each. Average car tires run at 30 to 40 psi if that indicates how much pressure these aircraft tires operate under. Learjet Service Technicians will tell you that it is absolutely critical to maintain the correct tire pressure and any issue under inflation can be catastrophic even if it's as little as 5% one under inflated tire can over stress it's companion tire. The learjet service manual requires you to remove both mains, perform an eddy current on the rims, and reinspect and replace with new tires and/or rims if there is any defect such as a crack, or really slow leak. That is how critical it is for these tires on 55's and 60's The 55B has a chute but doesn't give us the "peace of mind" that a nitrogen tire gage does to actually know these tires are properly inflated. I had a brand new outboard main that had been inspected twice deflate to 90 psi and it looked like it was just a little low - why? because the 14 ply tires sidewalls are so stiff they will not visually indicate they are low until the aircraft is almost full of fuel we had 6000 lbs on our 55ER and it still only looked a little low when in fact it was less than half at 90 psi!

My suggestion would be to GET A NITROGEN TIRE GAGE AND START CHECKING your tire pressures yourself. Do not trust anyone with these tires but yourself even if they were just mounted as ours were. Good luck. PS They cost less than a hundred and should be part of every pilot's checklist. And the same goes for Michelins.

Last edited:
My suggestion would be to GET A NITROGEN TIRE GAGE AND START CHECKING your tire pressures yourself.

Is there such a thing as a Nitrogen Tire Gauge? I never thought of it before, but wouldn't any high-quality calibrated tire gauge work? Pressure is pressure, right?

Is there such a thing as a Nitrogen Tire Gauge? I never thought of it before, but wouldn't any high-quality calibrated tire gauge work? Pressure is pressure, right?

Exactly as long as it is the higly calibrated one that you mentioned which takes into account that Nitrogen is a larger gas molecule than compressed air I'll give you the part number to the one we purchased through ARINC by Friday if you want it?

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back