• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Travis Barker - 4 killed, 2 hurt as rock star's jet crashes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I would say the general consensus is not to abort for tire failure above 80kts unless directional control cannot be maintained. Although, this is not always spelled out this way in training, I guess for liability reasons, they tend to go with what the aircraft or pilot manual recommends.

Last edited:
Idiot, when you are within 5NM 2000Ft of another aircraft, it's sitting there right in front of you on your TCAS display. You can't help but to see him! You don't even fly in RVSM airpace, do you? Riding on Delta does not count.

Mature response there F/O. You actually sit there and fixate on your TCAS? Is that what you do when the autopilot is on besides pick your boogers? I feel sorry for your passengers. That just shows how ignorant you are. Not all TCAS's are in the same place as yours. Not a smart answer - not at all. Hey everyone Hawker F/O is an expert on TCAS he/she no longer needs to look out the window.

Last edited:
"Should be" and "Must be" are two VERY different things...
Who cares what you think? Seriously in context explain the difference when dealing with the FAA?

Last edited:
I guess everyone didn't agree to stay on subject when I was trying to be very diplomatic :(

This is a terrible accident and we should be trying to learn from it and prevent another from happening.

I guess everyone didn't agree to stay on subject when I was trying to be very diplomatic :(

This is a terrible accident and we should be trying to learn from it and prevent another from happening.

I apologize - you are exactly right back on the subject. The pictures on TMZ are telling much more than the previous photos.

LJ25. Right. I'd like to know what is taught to corp types as far as a reason for a high speed abort.
Say Again and LJ45 spell it out for what I would say is the corporate industry standard, and it seems to wok well. Typically abort for anything below 80, and Engine Fire, T/R deployment, engine failure, and Loss of directional control 80 to V1 in most airplanes; 80 is the variable. Where that can get you is a situation like we are discussing now. A blown tire can be a non event at 81 knots, but as speed (and Heat) increase and the tire shreds itself apart, the rubber can take other tiires, lines, components with it, and now you cannot maintain directional control. What are you options now? Slim, as you left them on the runway behind you when the decision to continue was made.

When the F/Os/CoCapts let the "old man" fly, I command in my brief that we will not abort for a HYD failure of any kind above 80knots as that's a great way to go rolling off the end of a runway. Additionally, "No fast Hands" is the statements that ends my brief. Do nothing and do it slowly.

Apart from a couple of minor interruptions, this is agreat thread; nobody pointing the fiinger, just pros putting their heads together and thinking. I've really enjoyed this and hope it continues! Kudos to you all.

Let me preface his by saying I am not second guessing the crew for a second.

Someone earlier mentioned the Cowboys 60 Losing the squat switch. Could a blown tire take out the squat switch? and would that then prevent the speed brakes and T/R's? From what was left they appear stowed. The speed brakes could have bled back down, but I do not believe the T/R's would. That would be a horrible scenario. The flaps appear to have been burned off in the photos.

Let me preface his by saying I am not second guessing the crew for a second.

Someone earlier mentioned the Cowboys 60 Losing the squat switch. Could a blown tire take out the squat switch? and would that then prevent the speed brakes and T/R's? From what was left they appear stowed. The speed brakes could have bled back down, but I do not believe the T/R's would. That would be a horrible scenario. The flaps appear to have been burned off in the photos.
A tire shredding itself apart at 100+ miles an hour ca nput a hole in the fuselage, desrtoy all the hyd lines to the gear, etc. The LR tires are so small, their RPM is much greater than it would be say on your Hawker. Because of where a squat switched is placed, taking it out would just be getting started. No problem at all. Look what happened to the Concorde with a blown tire. It tore a hole through the airplane into the fuel tank.

With the Squat switch out, the plane could think it is now in the air (Weight Off Wheels), and it could stop the T/Rs from deploying as well as stop the boards for extending, or at least extending as far as the should on the ground. Take the Life dump of your Hawker for example. With the flaps in the #3 position and WOW, the lift dump further extends not only the flaps as you know, but the boards as well. A squat switch telling the airplane it's in "air" mode would be the same you not having flaps in Pos. #3. The boards and flpas would not extend any further. Does that make sense?

Are Lears more susceptible to a loss of directional control after a tire blow compared w/ other aircraft? Do they make a point of this in training, or I am over analyzing what people are saying?
%5Bdefault_img_src%5D

Last edited:
Regarding aborts in the Learjet 60....Bombardier Customer Training teaches the call when rolling down the runway for low-speed to high-speed regime is 90 KIAS. This is because at 90 KIAS, the nose wheel steering is supposed to disengage. My company still makes the call at 80 KIAS because conventional wisdom and several studies have shown 80 KIAS is the speed at which the aircraft enters a high-speed regime and bad things happening due to an abort dramatically increase above 80 KIAS, not 90 KIAS. In addition, would you really abort at 90 KIAS if your nose steering didn't disengage? I wouldn't so I am not sure why Bombardier feels you should even be checking for steering disengagement on a takeoff roll.

All that being said, this operator may use the 90 KIAS call in their SOPs. If they do, they may very well have been above 80 KIAS when an abort was started and thus in the high-speed regime for aircraft speed. However, they would still have been within the proper speed range to abort for any problem, according to their SOPs.

Latest resources

Back