• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Travis Barker - 4 killed, 2 hurt as rock star's jet crashes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A tire shredding itself apart at 100+ miles an hour ca nput a hole in the fuselage, desrtoy all the hyd lines to the gear, etc. The LR tires are so small, their RPM is much greater than it would be say on your Hawker. Because of where a squat switched is placed, taking it out would just be getting started. No problem at all. Look what happened to the Concorde with a blown tire. It tore a hole through the airplane into the fuel tank.

With the Squat switch out, the plane could think it is now in the air (Weight Off Wheels), and it could stop the T/Rs from deploying as well as stop the boards for extending, or at least extending as far as the should on the ground. Take the Life dump of your Hawker for example. With the flaps in the #3 position and WOW, the lift dump further extends not only the flaps as you know, but the boards as well. A squat switch telling the airplane it's in "air" mode would be the same you not having flaps in Pos. #3. The boards and flpas would not extend any further. Does that make sense?

Oh yeah, that is exactly what I was afraid of. I Just knowing nothing about the 60.

That would be a sick feeling. Blown Tires and now in Air Mode. Yikes.

Are Lears more susceptible to a loss of directional control after a tire blow compared w/ other aircraft? Do they make a point of this in training, or I am over analyzing what people are saying?
%5Bdefault_img_src%5D

I have flown the Lear 60 for a few years and blown tires have never been said to cause a directional control problem. I had a tire blow in a 60 on takeoff at 105-110 KIAS. We continued the takeoff with no issues or directional control problems. We also landed 2 hours later without incident.

Blown tires in the 60, or any aircraft, are known to severaly impede brake effectiveness. Other possibilities in the 60 after a blown tire are flap damage, hydraulic brake line rupture, squat switch damage (causing spoiler, T/R, and anti-skid braking problems). Any number of things could happen.

After my blown tire incident, I concluded aborting after 80 KIAS for a blown tire is a bad idea in almost every case. Everything I have read that has data on the matter would agree.

Didn't a witness report sparks going down the runway? Would both tires on one side have to blow to get this? Wouldn't one carry the load without dropping the wheel? Looking at the tmz pics, #5 specifically, it looks like they split the localizer (4 L and 6 R) -- if only one side failed, wouldn't it pull hard left or right (the loss of directional control)?

I have flown the Lear 60 for a few years and blown tires have never been said to cause a directional control problem. I had a tire blow in a 60 on takeoff at 105-110 KIAS. We continued the takeoff with no issues or directional control problems. We also landed 2 hours later without incident.

Blown tires in the 60, or any aircraft, are known to severaly impede brake effectiveness. Other possibilities in the 60 after a blown tire are flap damage, hydraulic brake line rupture, squat switch damage (causing spoiler, T/R, and anti-skid braking problems). Any number of things could happen.

After my blown tire incident, I concluded aborting after 80 KIAS for a blown tire is a bad idea in almost every case. Everything I have read that has data on the matter would agree.

I am curious. When you blew the tire, did you fold the gear?

I head back for recurrent in a couple of weeks. i'm sure this accident will be discussed at great length.

Just so sad. Looks as if that berm wasn't there, if it was a flat overun, this would be a minor discussion. Once they plowed into that, the fusalage tank just dumped into the cabin. A miracle that anyone got out.

RIP

Hung

Who cares what you think? Seriously in context explain the difference when dealing with the FAA?

You obviously care what I think, otherwise you wouldn't have written such a thoughtful response...

But you're right, what do I know...my wife is just a legal professional who specializes in FAA enforcement actions. I guess I foolishly let her professional experience help form my judgement on the legal differences between a recommendation and a requirement, or "should be" and "must be".

Just did a scenario like this 2 weeks ago in recurrent at ATL. Tire blew just around V1 which put a hole in the wing tank. Wonder if one tire let go, took out the other tire and squat switch, as well as put a hole in the the wing tank. Spark from rims ignited fuel from wing tank and no brakes or t/r's from squat switch being destroyed and not enought time to react to use the emer brakes. JUST A THEORY. Not sure if the wheel spin up kit would prevent the lack of brakes and t/r's or if thats just for the auto spoilers??
Amazing how much you forget in 2 weeks....
Had an antiskid controller not work about a month ago which locked up right outboard main which blew, didnt feel a thing on roll out of taxi in. Flight check guys made us aware as they were taxiing by that a tire was locked up. I hate to think about a tire going at anywhere near v1.

I don't believe they lost directional control. They ran right through the middle of the localizer antenna. Unless they lost it and then regained the centerline before departing the runway.

Truly sad,
RIP

looking at the pictures, pieces of the gear (or at least what the news folks say is the gear) was left behind away from the main wreckage. almost as if the gear sheared off after the blown tires. but if that happened you'd think that the plane would not keep on a straight line.

I also find it odd that all 4 in the back did not get out. they would have been sitting in the club seats probably, and all would have seen what the others were doing, so if 2 headed for the door I'd guess the other 2 would be right behind them. Major bummer

Just did a scenario like this 2 weeks ago in recurrent at ATL. Tire blew just around V1 which put a hole in the wing tank. Wonder if one tire let go, took out the other tire and squat switch, as well as put a hole in the the wing tank. Spark from rims ignited fuel from wing tank and no brakes or t/r's from squat switch being destroyed and not enought time to react to use the emer brakes. JUST A THEORY. Not sure if the wheel spin up kit would prevent the lack of brakes and t/r's or if thats just for the auto spoilers??
Amazing how much you forget in 2 weeks....
Had an antiskid controller not work about a month ago which locked up right outboard main which blew, didnt feel a thing on roll out of taxi in. Flight check guys made us aware as they were taxiing by that a tire was locked up. I hate to think about a tire going at anywhere near v1.

The anti-skid/brakes should work on either the inboards or outboards as long as one squat switch is in ground mode. Of course your sim scenario just sucks... I hope it didn't happen to these guys.

The autospoilers would only work with one squat switch out if it had a spin-up kit... however with just ONE switch in ground mode you can manually deploy the spoilers.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back